Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Thinking of changing L322 > Mercedes G Class / or what ne
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
uzp315

Thinking of changing L322 > Mercedes G Class / or what ne

Having had my L322 for nearly four years I am thinking of changing. I have no idea what I would chose next, and this has been a major factor in delaying a trade in. The difficulty is that the RR has spoiled me in terms of luxury and the feeling I get from driving it. Which means any replacement is going to have a tough time providing the same enjoyment of ownership.

A couple of high luxury motors at very low prices that I thought might make up for the pain of loss...
Bentley Continental GTs - the previous models are tempting, but W12 engine, fuel, servicing and repair costs are probably at a level I would soon get fed up with.
Maserati Gran Cabrio - Ive had two Italian brands already and swore I'd never but Italian again. I think there are justifiable concerns over a Maserati's reliability and this means it probably fails to meet my ideal criteria in the same way the Bentley fails - i.e. high fuel and repair bills.

I used a 911 as a daily driver in the past, an M3, and more recently the L322. I'm ok with the level of costs involved with these, but when I ran the RR and the 911 together over a few years, I felt I was too frequently paying out £500-£1000, whether tax, tyres, services or whatever. In fairness it probably was every month. Tax 2 times a year at £500-600, two services at £500 ish, insurance at £700 for the pair, 2 MOTs... and that is without having to fix the wear and tear items like tyres, brakes, repairs etc.
One set of costs like that I do not mind, but the combined cost of both was just a drag. I imagine the Bentley and Maserati could cost as much as the combined cost of running the 911 and L322.

The Bentley would probably be far more reliable, but both Maserati and Bentleys in my price range are older cars - ten years +/-.

I've always been keen on the G Class, even before it became fashionable. Has anyone had one, and what was it like to live with? Was it reliable? I imagine fuel costs will be high, but hoping I could live with that if the reliability and the driving experience compared to the RR.

Any thoughts/comments ? Any other suggested replacement vehicles that do not feel like a let down after the L322?
Thanks
Mark

Post #579073 9th Jan 2021 2:04pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I went through all that and you end up coming back round to a fatty...

Buy a 2010-2012 L322 and they are in a different league to the earlier ones... so much more refined... go test drive one Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #579075 9th Jan 2021 2:13pm
uzp315

^^^^ Ah, once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I think you are right. I'm scouring AutoTrader and having looked at the G Class interior I don't think it is a car for me.

The phrase "Head in the lions mouth" springs to mind when I think about another RR Smile

Post #579077 9th Jan 2021 2:19pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I looked long and hard at the Bentley, I'd of had the Flying Spur but in the end it's the all round package that the fatty is that stole the day...

Also the S/C has a very good grin factor... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #579079 9th Jan 2021 2:43pm
Joe90

England 

JC has had 3 x Volvo XC90s..... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #579088 9th Jan 2021 3:46pm
uzp315

Hey Pete, what a testament to the RR to say you chose it over a Bentley Smile I think I would really like one, but 10mpg is going to cheese me off eventually. Reliability very good, but almost all engine repairs require a lift out. Warranty is £3500 to reflect the labour costs.

Joe! I take it you mean Clarkson. XC90s eh? Nice enough. I bet he prefers the RR though and we probably all know his famous "L322, Best car in the world" quote Smile

Looking into a 4.4 TDV8 at the moment.

Post #579089 9th Jan 2021 4:11pm
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I thought about Jags, Bentleys, Mercs but after I tested a 4.4TDV8 I was smitten.

Comfort, versatility, speed, towing capability. Nothing else comes close.

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #579114 9th Jan 2021 9:26pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Go 4.4tdv8.....

Better car than the pre facelifts.

Have a go. Bentleys feel special and are a Bentley, but a RR is also a special place to sit, but really both are expensive to run and service etc.

For me a Bentley interior is a lovely thing, much nicer than an 322, but you will get a really nice 322 for the price of a bottom of the barrel Bentley.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #579117 9th Jan 2021 9:47pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Only G class I would have is a 2020 AMG G63, but even then the ride for daily driving isn't great. I had one in milletary spec as my official vehicle, and for that purpose it was much better than the LaRo it replaced; much faster, more capable offroad, and way better on the road. But compared to anything else it is still pretty Censored to live with on a daily basis.

But a Mercedes or AMG GLS class is a different story, that is also a very nice place to be in.

Post #579141 10th Jan 2021 10:04am
uzp315

This is almost unanimous for the 4.4 tdv8, but I guess I am asking in a place where that was always likely Smile I have a mate with a Dacia Duster, and seeing him and his Duster mates posting on facebook, anyone would think it was the perfect car Smile

So, back to the 4.4. tdv8 I know the dash, screen and steering wheel are a little more modern in a 4.4. tdv8 vs the 3.6 tdv8, the engine is more powerful, and can operate at lower revs with the 8 speed gearbox, gives better fuel economy, has less immediate boost on tap due to sequential turbos. Also requires a bit of a DPF clean out from a good run out now and again.

Is there anything else that adds to the refinery of the newer 4.4? I must admit, I saw one with "Range Rover" embossed into the piano black trim on the door card and thought that was a very nice touch.

Are the EGRS still a pain in the neck on the 4.4 as they are on the 3.6?

I've found one, maybe two I am possibly interested in. Test drives are not so straight forward at the moment, otherwise I would be out there looking at a few examples.

(Thanks blackdog - you know, I hadnt thought about Merc GLS, but they have caught my eye the few times I have been allowed out of the house).

Last edited by uzp315 on 10th Jan 2021 12:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #579154 10th Jan 2021 12:04pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Yes and even as a diesel. That twin turbo 350d is very refined, only a V6. Down on power and torque; only has 255Hp with 620Nm torque versus the 4.4tdv8 but feels much more agile and faster allround in my opinion. Even more so with active cornering suspension. Worth taking a look at.

But to be honest, even though ours had the upgraded Mercedes Amg leather etc. The Range Rover, despite older and second hand, feels a more special place to be in.

Post #579157 10th Jan 2021 12:22pm
uzp315

^^ Yes, I just had a look at a few online and as much as I do like a Merc and the Merc interiors, they were not as nice as the RR interior.

Having had my 3.6 so long and done a lot of miles in it, I think a newer 4.4 might be just the thing I am looking for. I just hope it doesnt give me as many niggles to deal with as my 3.6 did.

To be fair, the dealer I am talking to at the moment has confirmed that they make sure "everything works" before they release the vehicle. This is interesting to me, because I asked the dealer I bought my existing 3.6 from "I wont mess you about on your price, just make sure it all works and I will pay your asking price". I picked it up after 10 days for him to prep it, it was filthy, had a broken rear ents remote, no rear parking cam, no timed heater remote, peltier cells failed within a week, service light indicator still on, TPMS errors, rear wash wipe not working, venture cam not working, and a whole host of others which I slowly worked through fixing them all...Eventually after a lot of fighting I got a £3500 refund. On the whole it has been a good car for the most part.

So, if I get one that has everything working from day one, that will be a "step up" from the start Smile

Post #579165 10th Jan 2021 12:44pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

My last L322 was a TD6 2004 i thought it was a great car best i had driven + Owned even though i had to cough up for a GB!! we still loved it. went from that to a Navara V6 and the day we drove away both the wife and i missed the RR immediately. Any how some good fortune nearly 2 years down the road and the Navara price actually went up!! so we sold it.

Next up is the current RR 4.4 TDV8 Vogue with 110k on the clock. What struck us was the following;

1) It had been looked after the interior is mint and it still smells new
2) refinement over the last RR in the cabin is on another level
3) As it is the last of the L322 it feel very modern
4) Power i still cannot believe how much punch it has when pressed
5) Gearbox is smooth and but better paired to the car you always seem to be in the right gear, and if it need to drop down you barely notice it.
6) Road manors it feels well balanced for such a big car nothing seems to faze it
7) Economy (I did not think on this) but i get a better return than the Navara and it is way better than the TD6 was (When not in lock down we will get through a tank a week 500 miles)

It is not perfect but i am working through the niggles and there are not many, belts, pullies, tensioners, GB service, brakes, tyres & stuff rear wiper jet.

well thats my experience hope it helps 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #579175 10th Jan 2021 1:32pm
uzp315

Hey Jayk,
wow, selling a car for more than you bought it for. What a happy moment, I don't think I have ever had that experience, usually when I sell a car it is a case of "Wow, I bought this 18 months ago and you want to pay me just over half what I paid"

I think there would be a difference from the 2003 to the 4.4 tdv8, maybe less of a difference from a 3.6tdv8 2007 to the 4.4. Not sure.

I'm reviewing options at the moment... i.e. buy a second hand refurb wiper motor for mega bucks, or go ahead and get a new car. Over the weekend I was 100% set on getting rid and replacing. But having recharged the new battery and taken it for a run, I am now undecided about whether to get rid, it's been a frugal couple of years with little to no income so I have to think carefully before spending £20k vs £400 for a rubbish wiper motor that will only break again.

Post #579297 11th Jan 2021 1:31pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

I did not get more than i paid for the car that would have been great!! but i got the car valued in March 2020 (We buy any car) and a few months later they sent me an updated valuation it had gone up by £1500!! go figure.

so i paid 12k for the navara drive it for 18months and looked after it then sold it for 11k good value motoring i thought. so i only had to find an extra £1500 for the RR. i paid 12.5k for that.

so overall i am a happy bunny.

as for your predicament if you know the car is sound and only needs a wiper assembly though £400 seems excessive for a refurbed unit!!

try this Front (L322 2003 - 2009) https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr035806...5491-p.asp
Rear https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR010920 No pic so you would need to verify correct part

hope this helps there are also lots of posts on the net to refurb them yourself 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #579300 11th Jan 2021 2:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>