Home > Off Topic > Home Alarms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Home Alarms

Hi Team

Moving to a new home and it has a monitored alarm.

I've not opted not to continue the contract because I don't want to pay a monthly for 'monitoring', can you get alarms that notify your phone?

I do want to add a full IP CCTV system but not sure if that can be part of an integral alarm system

Presumably once I work out what system to go for, I can change the main box to something else whilst keeping all the sensors?

Don't know too much about what's around these days, be great to hear any thoughts recommendations etc

TIA ! Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #590803 10th Apr 2021 5:51pm
millerj90

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Have a look at the Eufy range. Fully integrated and no subscription fees

Post #590806 10th Apr 2021 6:09pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Rip it all out, and install a ring alarm. Works nicely together with the doorbell, floodlights, sensors, sirens, and naturally notifications to your phone. Also has guest access etc. A very good system. Only thing some people may have against it is that it is owned by Amazon.

Post #590808 10th Apr 2021 6:35pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Good luck with the move Greg šŸ‘šŸ‘
Will you be needing a garage door alarm Rolling with laughter hope so.
Are you escaping the dreaded Cat 5 / Cat 6 dilemma??
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #590809 10th Apr 2021 6:42pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

We had the same dilemma and having done a ton of research landed on a Texecom solution and it has been rock solid! They also have great support.

I have also heard great things about the Pyronix range. Thumbs Up Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #590827 10th Apr 2021 9:14pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks a lot for the replies so far. Thumbs Up
Ring looks good. Eufy too.

Will check out Pyronix and Texecom too Thumbs Up

Seems integrated alarms + cctv system would be nice. Integrated smoke + co2 detection would be nice too.

Not sure that's all possible atm...

I've been looking at cameras and worked out PoE seems best option. Not too keen on wireless generally.

Tons of research needed!

Any more tips greatly appreciated Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #590836 11th Apr 2021 6:57am
Bl4ckD0g

Ring utilises/support the zwave protocol for automation integration. Still have to try a zwave co2/heat detector into the system. The ones I had from visonic powermaster arenā€™t compatible.

I hear what you say about POE IP cameras. I actually had those from avigilon. But Iā€™ve never come across a system where they can properly integrate with the alarm side of things. I initially stepped aside from them with the netatmo presence which was rock solid and really good app support and Apple HomeKit. But again no alarm integration.

So when ring started doing alarms I tried their floodlight cams as well. I like that some of their cameras come with build in floodlights and also build in sirens. And it all works nicely together in one app.

But yes itā€™s wireless, I donā€™t have an issue with that these days. Itā€™s good and secure.

Post #590838 11th Apr 2021 7:48am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Depending on the alarm system, you should be able to get an output to trigger a dialler. The dialler will call a number of preset numbers in turn and deliver a voice message. You can get GSM diallers or wired phone line diallers, the GSM ones are more secure in case the phone line is cut. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #590840 11th Apr 2021 8:14am
Bl4ckD0g

My old alarm had one of these diallers. I found them always a bit Censored . So yes you can hear the alarm going off, but you can't see why. So you also don't know what number to press to disable for a false alarm (if you can remember the numeric PSTN code) or do what...

I think they had its use when there were no smart phones, but thinks can be so much better nowadays with good phone apps and integration.

Post #590850 11th Apr 2021 9:16am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Texecom Premier elite system is a good way to go.

Iā€™ve got that in my place with a smart com add on and app. You can set it and cancel it from your phone and it send you a notification of when itā€™s triggered. It also tells you which zone has been triggered. I also have the ring alarm in my bottom garage and ring doorbell cameras on the door and gate.

All Of it works as described. If you have pre existing wiring then retrofitting a more modern wired alarm to the house is childā€™s play. The smart com box is Wi-fi enabled so connects to your router for access or can be wired if wanted, and is powered from the main panel, the keypads will wire to the existing keypad point and if you buy the better keypad it comes with a prox sensor which means you can set with a key fob dongle.

Itā€™s a proper system, and requires someone who is knowledgable on the system to set it up as there are features which will not be required and require programming out, and other which need enabling. Itā€™s doable if you want to read the very thick manual, but itā€™s takes a bit of head

There is no real down side to a full ring system, but being wireless itā€™s basically all battery powered, so you do have to occasionally charge the keypad, and swap out the batteries in the sensors, the doorbell cameras are great though and if you pick the wired pro version it has better range and doesnā€™t need batteries changing. A cheap bell transformer will allow it to be permanently wired into the power so no charging required....

As for cameras the ring ones are Ok, but we are stretching them to their limits. If you want coverage over a wide area then their Wi-fi will require boosting. Our main camera system in the house is a stand alone system, off Amazon however if you want a better one then Hik-visions night detection is much better. All my cameras are POe and wired back to the PVR. There are cameras which will connect to the Texecom alarm but didnā€™t see the point, the system Iā€™ve got has an app with remote access so except for combining the 2 systems into 1 app there was no functional up side in combining it with the alarm. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammeršŸ˜œšŸ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Last edited by northernmonkeyjones on 11th Apr 2021 9:28am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #590851 11th Apr 2021 9:21am
Bl4ckD0g

The benefits of combining comes with further automation, and overall integration. For example my cameras are also linked to my home smart lighting based around Philips hue. All helps towards prevention...

Totally agree on wireless needing good coverage, but doesn't everyone have a mesh network these day anyway Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #590857 11th Apr 2021 9:27am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Yes, and in order to get the camera on the bottom gate I had to wire an ethernet to a mesh pod in the garage so it would cover that doorbell as itā€™s about 100m from the house.

Works though.

In terms of overall integration, I agree that combining the systems can add some functionality in terms of switching on lighting etc we also have a whole house Hue system and it is set to play around with the lights while we are away, I havenā€™t found a way to make the ring alarm or the Texecom talk to the hue system yet. But there are ways to get the Texecom system to switch on lights if you have their ricochet plugs.

IFTTT does off some hope but I havenā€™t really had a good play with it yet. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammeršŸ˜œšŸ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #590858 11th Apr 2021 9:35am
essex boy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Hi I have been installing alarms since 1983 and would be happy to share my knowledge

Post #590861 11th Apr 2021 9:57am
Bl4ckD0g

Essexboys go on then šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Northernmonkeys very true and the one you mentioned does I think have some control ports and you could integrate it that way. But as you mentioned earlier one may need some more professional help with that. Although in my experience I found even Nicos gold installers not that great with modern technology and integrations beyond the security system. I found many I spoke to still in the mindset that security needs to be separate.

Whilst I donā€™t disagree with that when you say manage a list x facility with a security team. but at home itā€™s really doesnā€™t have be like that. Nothing wrong with a modern decent two way wireless system that can be integrated with other features.

Ps. Philips hue is great isnā€™t it Smile

Post #590866 11th Apr 2021 10:30am
essex boy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Have a look at Eaton I-ON range which can be hooked up to router wireless or hard wired and also they are hybrid

Post #590867 11th Apr 2021 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>