Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oh Oh Fuel Burner question alert
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
12ty

United Kingdom 
Oh Oh Fuel Burner question alert

Hi everyone,

Please bear with me Yawn Banging Head I have read most of the Fuel burner posts on the forum but I have not found the answer to my question 1. So I come with cap in hand looking for some help please.

I have 2 questions about wiring a GSM relay in the boot of my RR for the Fuel Burner Heater.

I have found the 3 pin plug for the telestart unit which is not behind the large fuse board / bracket in the right side of the boot so I do not have that or the remote key fob.
I have wired these three wires in to my GSM relay. All is working good and I can control the relay for the heater with a text message, Smile

I don't have the midi unit as I have replaced the head unit with an android screen. I can now get the heater to run with a text message but only when the ignition is on and temp is below 5 degrees.

Quote:
Please dont laugh but before I knew this car had a fuel burner heater I used to lay a 24" tube heater fitted to a wide piece of wood with a 10m lead and lay on the dashboard. This was plugged in to my garage whenever there was a risk of frost just so I would have a clear screen in the morning, I am sure my neighbours thought what a dumb nuts

I have 2 questions I am looking for help with please.

1. I understand the midi unit has a timer facility to operate the fuel burn heater. Does any one know what wire is the trigger wire from the midi plug and does it just need 12 volts which I could attach to my GSM relay in the boot or is it more complicated than this.
(i am thinking about repairing the pixelated midi screen and just placing in the glove box, it would mean I could have a clock that shows the correct time as well)

2. As the GSM relay is permanently live it draws approx 50 to 80 mah all the time, I wanted to install a small 9ah battery in the rear compartment below the fuse box on the right to power the gsm relay at all times. My RR battery is 950ah and I know this would run the gsm unit for ages before flattening the battery but all the problems I had before I got my new super duper battery I really do not want to go back to the Range Rover depleted battery gloom, especially as during the week I spend less than 15 mins each way driving to and from work.

I do not want the small battery to assist the large battery when the vehicle is starting so the use of a diode i think, and I would like the vehicles electrics to supply only a few amps of power to the small battery to sort of trickle charge between 1-2amps when the vehicle is running and not at the full power available from the alternator to a small battery.

I am not sure what diode I would need to ensure one way and is there a way that can deliver a low amp as I would ideally like to use 0.75 mm2 cable to the battery. (feel I am being stupid with the lower amp question but in my head I don't want 150amps to be available to a 9ah battery)

I hope that makes sense, I have a made a diagram as well which may not contain the correct technical terms but hope it helps. The drawing does not show any fuses however these have been installed.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you may be able to offer.

Apologies up front if my theory or questions resemble the intelligence of a numpty. Thud

Click image to enlarge

Post #581403 27th Jan 2021 6:52pm
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

At a guess you dont have park heating enabled in the ccf for the fbh to run without ignition on, as for charging your small battery just pick up a live from rear fuse board and run it through a voltage sensing relay to the battery then it will charge with engine running I would think is the easy way to do it.

Post #581426 27th Jan 2021 9:50pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Can’t help with the FBH stuff, but if you pull the fuse for the clock at 12 and put it back in, the clock will go to 12.... so the time will be correct.

Ie, if you cut power, the clock resets to 12.... so cut power at 12 and you are good....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #581427 27th Jan 2021 9:59pm
12ty

United Kingdom 

Hi mjdronfield, I am liking the idea of the fuse for the clock, simple and brilliant. Thumbs Up

Thanks

Post #581558 28th Jan 2021 10:54pm
12ty

United Kingdom 

kds2 wrote:
At a guess you dont have park heating enabled in the ccf for the fbh to run without ignition on, as for charging your small battery just pick up a live from rear fuse board and run it through a voltage sensing relay to the battery then it will charge with engine running I would think is the easy way to do it.

Hi kds2 can I ask what is ccf?

I have been searching google today for voltage sensing relays, who would of thought it. Loads of options, thanks. Bow down

I have read about the park heating not always being enabled to run without the ignition on in other posts. Most of them seemed to be with vougue owners as they are talking about screens.

Mine is a HSE and their is a control in the midi unit which allows you to set the heater and operate the heater from the clock at your own chosen time.

Not sure if this still has to be activated within the ccf thing you mention on a HSE but if you read the page from Rave attached regarding the midi unit it does appear to control the unit as standard.

Would be good to know if any HSE users have had the FBH working from this midi.
Click image to enlarge

see section 9

Click image to enlarge

Post #581559 28th Jan 2021 11:06pm
kds2

CCF = car configuration file. Would have thought reading the rave pages that it still might be possible to have park heating enabled, I found the info for mine on the Gap Diagnostics web site printed it off and asked Old Forge Garage here in Lincoln to do it for me, I guess you could have a look on there to see if any thing about the HSE model park heating.

Post #581567 29th Jan 2021 12:53am
12ty

United Kingdom 

Hi KDS2

I did look through the Gap site and in the FAQ it does have a section for the fuel burner and I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume that I could have mine turned on with a gap obdii, thanks for your help on that Thumbs Up .

I am trying a local Land rover garage to see if he has the software to do it but he may be closed with Covid which is a shame as he is only two miles from me in Rushden Northants.

I haven't even tried a local stealer in Bedford or Northampton yet, can you remember what Lincoln charged for this?

I may put a post to see if anyone around Northamptonshire can help with one of these readers. I will probably end up getting one myself though this year and have the FBH ready for the next Winter.

Post #582042 1st Feb 2021 6:35pm
kds2

Sorry could`nt tell you the true cost, because I had all the information printed out for him and had not done it before he wasnt sure if it was done right (it was just took couple of days for it to appear on screen) the price was reduced for a normal plug in cost (did slip something into the box of the charity they were supporting to make up for it) so at a guess whatever your local guy charges should just about cover it (it took less than half hour) as for main dealer doing it well into three figures know doubt !

Post #582084 1st Feb 2021 10:42pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45058.html?highlight=heat

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE