Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > New RR 2021
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve Woodman

United Kingdom 
New RR 2021

Hello all, does anyone have any thoughts on new RR launch dates. My lease runs out in October this year and normally I would order 5 months in advance. With everything that is going on do you think the launch will be delayed?

Currently driving RR Sport which I have been very happy with. Should I take the leap to the Full Fat?

Steve

Post #582202 3rd Feb 2021 8:46am
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Hi Steve, to be fair the launch has already been delayed for almost a year because of Covid last year.
It is anticipated we'll see the next full-size RR by the year's end but it doesn't help you if you need to stop the lease 5 months ahead indeed.
Now, because of Covid, etc, maybe your leasing company has changed terms/would be happy to renegotiate maybe?
Good problem to have to deal with though Thumbs Up l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #582210 3rd Feb 2021 10:08am
Steve Woodman

United Kingdom 

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Very interesting collection you've got. I should be able to extend the lease if need be and wait a while longer.

Post #582212 3rd Feb 2021 10:27am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Steve, I went from Sport to fatty and I could never go back to a Sport. But it depends on what you want. Choose a Sport for a more car-like experience, choose a fatty for a more luxurious, upmarket, or serene experience. Engine choice in either vehicle is going to play a huge part in that experience.

As for next generation fatty, no idea. If I was JLR I would announce it in September. Production delays will presumably amount to 6 months minimum. There will be zero discounts and the equivalent models will be higher by x%. When I did my calculation in 2019, which seems laughable now given the delays to L460, I figured a minimum £15k (10% to 20%) hike on a like for like model L405 to L460. Bundled with no discount, then ouch! I reckon my £110k with discount fatty would translate to £135k like for like.

If money is no real object and lead time is no object then you just have to contend with teething issues of a brand new model. Which might be zero or might be hell. I went to see mine being built at the factory so that staff would be somehow compelled to put in more effort to the quality of its construction. This paid off to the tune of £2000+ cosmetic warranty work. But at least I signed the chassis under my wife’s bum (not that she knows that). In the event of a total loss that truth will potentially come out. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #582416 4th Feb 2021 10:58pm
Steve Woodman

United Kingdom 

Ilard thanks very much for your summary. The fact you’ve had both is a real help and makes the decision easier. I will be leasing so no factory visits for me just a dull delivery to home. Shouldn’t complain though of course. I’ve loved the sport but always wanted the big dog. After a very serious accident a few years ago my back is average so the extra comfort of the ff will be welcome. Just trying to work out when to order. Obviously got to wait until launch date confirmed.

I’m still focusing on diesel, as unless it’s the 5.0 not sure about the other engines. Have you driven any of the hybrids?

Post #582433 5th Feb 2021 7:26am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Like ilard, I also came from a sport. Now I have the L405, I wouldn't go back to a sport. The L405 just suits my driving style a lot better and provides me with the experience I want. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #582443 5th Feb 2021 9:09am
Steve Woodman

United Kingdom 

Thanks Kev that’s decided then! Better get saving.

Post #582453 5th Feb 2021 10:31am
ilard

United Kingdom 

I have the P400e plug in hybrid which I highly recommend. It’s fast and wafty. EV mode and general start stop is imply superb. But it is not economical vs the diesels. Go for P400e for puritanical city use, for low mileage and short journey drivers where the 5.0 would do but you want some semblance of caring about polar bears on paper at least. If you’re higher mileage a diesel is a no brainier I think, bigger the better.

As I have said on other threads, a was not interested in a a diesel. I could have gone for a 5.0 or a 3.0 MHEV but I’m thrilled with my 2.0 PHEV, it does everything I need brilliantly. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #582539 6th Feb 2021 12:21am
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If you wait for the L460 PHEV model, that is expected to have its batteries in the floor, as an integrated part of the MLA platform. So expect full boot space and possibilities for full size spare wheel in the new PHEV L460, and better weight distribution. Maybe a bit larger battery pack as well? The current PHEV model has the boot floor raised 46mm (the key reason we didn't purchase the L0405 P400e back in 2018).

Post #582558 6th Feb 2021 9:54am
Martin2

England 

That was one of the reasons I didn’t seriously consider the P400e, due to losing boot space / length with the Exec rear seating, losing more capacity through a reduction in height wasn’t going to work. The main reason for getting the RR was space, rear seat width and boot. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #582560 6th Feb 2021 10:31am
ilard

United Kingdom 

We're only a family of 3, so we have the benefit of being able to use one of the back seats if need space for an extra bag on our trips. But generally everything goes in the boot fine, despite the PHEV battery bulge and the exec seats. But no question, it eats into the boot space annoyingly. Yes, I expect the L460 PHEV will be fabulous, probably with crazy long range. Hopefully they do not stuff up the looks of it, cos if not, it's going to be a real winner (if expensive!!) L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #582585 6th Feb 2021 2:23pm
Martin2

England 

We’ve got 2 x teenage boys (6 foot) and an 11 month old with a bulky car seat, so the rear seat is pretty full and the boot was just big enough for the 2 week holiday we had in the summer. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #582586 6th Feb 2021 2:31pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The 18MY onwards L405 boot is such a disappointing size for me. The executive seats are so chunky and the legroom is ultimately very poor on the SWB model. I really hope the space efficiency improves on the L460.

Post #582601 6th Feb 2021 4:16pm
zion

United States 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Fuji White

+1 on P400e PHEV - a plugin hybrid RR is the ideal package if your driving habits are what Ilard described.

Zip around in ultra relaxing, pure electric, silence on every day basis - go anywhere on gas when you need to.

Highly influenced by Ilard Mr. Green we ordered our P400e in AB spec and with Exec Seats too.

I feel like the Exec seats encroach more on the luggage space than the battery - meaning that Exec Seats are a bigger tradeoff than a PHEV - but the combination of both is of course the worst case scenario from a luggage space POV.

Would have been nice to have the additional space that the battery eats, but I've found that the shallower depth is typically a larger issue when packing then the height. Would agree with others that one would think that trunk space would be larger in a vehicle as large as an RR, but we have found it manageable as long as you use soft bags (think multiple keepall's) and load your trunk efficiency.

We have a 4 year old and a 8 months old and still managed to go skiing twice this winter - with 3 pairs of skis in a ski-bag.

One important detail on the L460:
Based on what has leaked so far, LR will switch to the same kind of AWD setup that Volvo has on their plug-in hybrids, meaning battery powers electric rear axle and combustion engine powers front wheels. Prior to the RR, we had an XC90 T8 and while that setup typically works well, it is definitely less refined than the proper AWD system in our RR and in a couple of circumstances you feel the limitations of that system :

- While driving in pure electric mode the XC90 is rear wheel driven, which is definitely noticeable when it is slippery outside (snow/ice). If you live in Florida, no worries.
    - While driving at higher speeds (e.g. 90-120mph on the Autobahn) you can definitely tell that the car is FWD, with clearly lower high speed stability than a true AWD SUV. The actual limit of the car is very high, but not exactly confidence inspring especially on twistier sections of the autobahn, e.g. the rolling hills near Kassel.

Benefits of this kind of architecture are better electric milage, more efficient re-gen and potentially larger battery capacity as the tunnel normally used for the prop shaft can instead be used for more batteries.

The above dislikes plus the reasons that Illard mentioned above plus the fact that we really love the current design language made us intentionally order an L405 over an L460 and I'm not regretting it at all.

Our plan is to keep this puppy for - hopefully - many years Very Happy

Anders _________________
2020 RR AB P400e

Post #585141 25th Feb 2021 5:23am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Autobiography wrote:
The executive seats are so chunky and the legroom is ultimately very poor on the SWB model

On the basis that I’m not a chauffeur and nor do I employ one, the standard rear seats are surely the pick. They’re good enough for the Queen, after all.

Post #585162 25th Feb 2021 10:39am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>