Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 Removable Tow Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
L322 Removable Tow Bar

My SC has the removable tow bar fitted to it and unfortunately it's not had the red bung or the tow bar fitted in what appears to be a long time.

There is muck and scale inside the tow bar receiver on the car. I removed it from the car last night and was planning on taking it in to get blasted on the outside and just a gentle clean on the inside to get it cleaned up enough for the removable part to fit.

I was thinking about it last night though and am a bit concerned about cleaning the received up incase the removable part isn't as secure in the receiver as it should be.

Anybody got any thoughts? I've got the drop plate tow bar that I can use until I manage to replace the removable receiver if needs be.

Thanks,
David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #582816 8th Feb 2021 2:27pm
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Sand blasting may not be advisable, but you could consider Soda or walnut shell blasting. Personally I would discuss with your local blasters as there are moving parts inside that would need protecting.

Another option would be steam cleaning if you have access to the kit. Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #582818 8th Feb 2021 2:44pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The dealers reversed one of my 322s into an earth bank once, and got dirt into the receiver, even though the cover was in place. I found that it was impossible to fit the tow hook securely until it had been thoroughly cleaned, just with scrapers, cloth and WD40. The wheel that one pulls out and turns would not go back into position and lock until it was clean enough, it took several attempts. So I would say that if you can clean the inside enough to get the hook mechanism to work properly it will be OK, if it does not operate properly it won't hold and should not be used.

I've no experience of having the receiver blasted (they do seem to be prone to rusting, poor paint quality) but presumably the inside could be stuffed with (say) an oily rag.

The lessons I learned with 322 detachables were (a) don't leave the hook in place, it will seize up, (b) clean and lubricate it regularly, (c) keep the receiver clean and with the cover in place, (d) if you want to be able to remove the receiver, e.g. to mount a bicycle carrier, coat the stem in copper grease, vaseline or the like and copper grease the thread of the nut that holds it in place, they are prone to seizing too. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #582824 8th Feb 2021 3:57pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Thanks guys.

CS - That's what we do with the one on the other car. The bung is only removed when the tow bar is in use and once a year I smear a microfibre cloth with grease and rub it around the inside of the receiver.

I'm wondering about leaving the removable one off the car and using the drop plate one as you can slide it out and slide a cycle carrier in very easily if you want to.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #582827 8th Feb 2021 4:08pm
Bluespanner

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

If it’s corroded enough to stop the male part sliding in then when you clean the female part it’ll remove enough material for it to become a baggy fit. Throw the whole assembly in the bin and fit the flange as you suggest. Much less to go wrong.

Post #582839 8th Feb 2021 5:17pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I get a wire brush and give it a good going over inside, then on the v’s in the bottom I use a wire brush attachment on a grinder to give them a good clean up.

Still fits nice and snug.

Most of the corrosion in mine was normally in the V’s and once cleaned up the wheel pinged into place nicely. Used a wire brush with a metal spine as it will fit nicely in the hole. Or something like this

Click image to enlarge
 There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #583286 11th Feb 2021 7:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1