Home > General > Advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Adrian 15

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Advice please

Advice please
I am running at Discovery TD5 at the moment which I have owned for many years, the time has come for an upgrade as she has over 200k on the clock.
As we all know new Range Rovers and Discovery’s are crazy money and I am not one to change cars every few months, I have been doing some research as I’m a Land Rover man through and through and I possibly fancy only 2 cars.
I sort of like a RR Sport but the SDV6 doesn’t seem to cut the mustard and I fear broken cranks but i do like the idea of a 3.6 TDV8, then again the favourite option is a late Range Rover L322 4.4 TDV8 with 30-50K on the clock. So can I ask what to look out for, what can go wrong etc etc. Do you agree with my think as I would keep the car for several years, or course you can suggest I’m completely mad and I should buy an electric skate board.
Look forward to hearing from you

Post #583697 14th Feb 2021 6:49pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Buy the skateboard, I did, but only after getting the L322 out of my system.

I think an L322 with such low mileage is unlikely to be found.

The 4.4TDV8 can suffer from oil build up in the secondary turbo, mine did and after a few miles town driving when you put your foot down to exceed 2500 RPM it resembled something from a Bond movie behind, absolutely horrendous, some dont suffer, some do, budget for £1000 to sort it.
Corroded brake pipes at the back, not the cheapest of jobs but not too bad.
Air suspension, leaking airbags, compressor issues.
Fuel tank sender units / wiring.
Unforgiveable corrosion, dreadful really with no excuses.
Battery can cause all sorts of dashboard lights and other errors even though it starts the engine OK.

A truly nice way to travel with the ability to empty your wallet, your bank account and max out your credit cards in the blink of an eye. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #583720 14th Feb 2021 8:49pm
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I too have come from a D2 (in fact I still have it) and after many months of research I went for the 4.4 TDV8.

In my opinion it's the best option, offering lots of power with longevity (turbo drain mod will need doing if it hasn't already been done) and reasonable economy - though if you're looking for economy you're looking at the wrong vehicle, really.

There's a great buying guide in the Wiki section on here.

It's a fantastic tow car and just generally a lovely place to be.

Good luck with your search.

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #583727 14th Feb 2021 9:10pm
Adrian 15

Thank you for your reply, I am still running a D2 automatic and to be honest if you get 25mpg you are doing well. I have found a couple with 40k on the clock so they are about. I will sort something out
Thank you AJ, sounds like you have had some bad luck, I had a P38 which sounded similar

Post #583734 14th Feb 2021 9:26pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Wow, from a D2 to a 4.4TDV8 will be like stepping into another dimension! Corrosion is a MASSIVE problem if looking for a keeper! Where they have lived, away from the coast and certainly not from too far “up norff” basically BMW made 322’s rot the least! Ford made 322’s are worse and then the 09> Tata built cars rot like pigs! BUT, find a good un, rust proof the dodgy areas and they should be fine!
Leaky oil coolers are common, if your handy with spanner’s then a good days work will see a new one fitted...
Don’t get too hung up on second turbo drain faults! If by now they have not needed doing and if a good “Italian test drive” doesn’t make it smoke like a steam train? Then I’d not worry too much more about it!
Service history is king as usual... A good indie is often better than MD but make sure they have not fitted cheap parts all over it! Ie brakes! Cheap crap will be just that!

If I walked upto a well cared for, non rusty 2010-2012 TDV8 with a premium set of rubber on it, I think you’ll be on the right track sir... Walk up to a car wearing Accelera Iota tyres and I think you’ll be onto a budget maintained... And a deeper look may find hidden troubles sir!

Post #583750 14th Feb 2021 10:27pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Fully agree with Craig there.

Look at the tyres.

Pirelli’s, contis or mich then you are probably onto a winner. Rot is a problem but it’s easy to spot. Rear arches, boot, and subframes are a good place To start looking.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #583755 14th Feb 2021 10:53pm
Wk52RR

England 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Wow, from a D2 to a 4.4TDV8 will be like stepping into another dimension! Corrosion is a MASSIVE problem if looking for a keeper! Where they have lived, away from the coast and certainly not from too far “up norff” basically BMW made 322’s rot the least! Ford made 322’s are worse and then the 09> Tata built cars rot like pigs! BUT, find a good un, rust proof the dodgy areas and they should be fine!
Leaky oil coolers are common, if your handy with spanner’s then a good days work will see a new one fitted...
Don’t get too hung up on second turbo drain faults! If by now they have not needed doing and if a good “Italian test drive” doesn’t make it smoke like a steam train? Then I’d not worry too much more about it!
Service history is king as usual... A good indie is often better than MD but make sure they have not fitted cheap parts all over it! Ie brakes! Cheap crap will be just that!

If I walked upto a well cared for, non rusty 2010-2012 TDV8 with a premium set of rubber on it, I think you’ll be on the right track sir... Walk up to a car wearing Accelera Iota tyres and I think you’ll be onto a budget maintained... And a deeper look may find hidden troubles sir!

Wish my bmw made l322 got that message about the rot. I’ve just had to do the sills, wheel arches, front subframe and rear subframe as well as rear brake pipes.

Post #583765 15th Feb 2021 12:08am
t5pete

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

We went from a d2 es premium to a 2011 l322, massive transformation they are truly superb to waft around in.

As pointed out they do have their own issues but in reality what cars don't?

Ours had surface rust in the rear arches and rear sills but caught it in time.

Find a well looked after one but 100% remove the plastic sill covers and rear arch liners, remove any surface rust and prep then seal.
Regarding the turbo drain ours too does smoke a little if having lots of short distant drives but get the second turbo working and it's kicks just a little smoke out after that it's all clear and doesn't happen again.

For me it's not worth spending the 1k + just make sure every now and again you give it a good clear out.

Post #583766 15th Feb 2021 12:15am
Adrian 15

Thank you gentlemen for some great advice, I usually look after my own vehicles as I believe in preventative maintenance but the newer they are the more complicated it gets even with a diagnostic code reader.
Do you think a RR Sport would be a better option or should I go and wash my mouth out?
Many thanks

Post #583776 15th Feb 2021 8:46am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Grab the mouthwash Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #583778 15th Feb 2021 8:51am
Adrian 15

Point taken, I will keep my head down
Cheers

Post #583779 15th Feb 2021 8:53am
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

That last line Adrian is almost offensive.......a Sport?.........SPORT??? Heavens alive lad, man up! Laughing
I went from an '05 X5 that was totally superb for the 5 years I had her, I spent more on the FFRR in the first year than I did on the X5 in 5 years, but, I don't regret a penny. AJGalaxy says it all really & CamTechCraig makes a very good point about budget tyres. On any 'new' car, there's always things that need addressing, mine was a leaky oil cooler, had the complete oil cooler replaced for about £700 all in. Tyres, I had a set of Pirelli's for the MOT, another grand & that was about it. I went slightly OTT on oil changes, changed everything & gave the 'box a megaflush.
Remember one thing Adrian, if you move over to the 'dark side' & do buy a 'Sport' it'll never ever be a FFRR no matter how you look at it each morning. You'll skip out of the house each morning & say to yourself "it's not a FFRR but it'll do"....can you live with that? Laughing Laughing Laughing 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #583780 15th Feb 2021 9:01am
Cam-Tech-Craig

As the saying goes, one day, you’ll pull up to the traffic lights and a FFRR will be in the next lane! At that point you’ll wish you had bought the car your heart wanted... From that moment on, owning a Spert will be a little more Censored every day!
On the other hand, if you buy a FFRR and pull up to the same lights in the future and a Spert pulls up beside you! How will you feel??? And there’s your answer sir...
YOLO 👍🙏😷

Post #583788 15th Feb 2021 10:37am
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Exactly! Laughing Laughing 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #583789 15th Feb 2021 10:39am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Not that I’m biased sir Whistle Whistle Whistle 👍🙏😷

Post #583790 15th Feb 2021 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>