Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > oil leak on front of 3.6 TDV8 08 L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
vbrab

Australia 
oil leak on front of 3.6 TDV8 08 L322

I appear to have an ongoing (but steady) leak of engine oil that appears to come from the crankshaft pulley area.
I cannot find any info on steps to remove front pulley (engine in car), and nor can I find any workshop that has replaced a front seal on same engine. they all report never having had to replace one in situ.
The oil only "appears" to come from the crank area as it is then blown/flicked to the aircleaner side (right) of the engine and then starts to spread out onto front right suspension and blows back under right side of underneath car.
I have been told that possible culprit is a "grub screw" on the front of the oil pump above the crank pulley, that can sometimes leak and then dribbles down to the crank and appears to be a crank seal leak.
I am after any detail on locating that grub screw or instructions how to remove the crank pulley, and whether seal can be done withoiut removing all radiators etc..
Local workshop suggests it might be a 10-12 job to get at the crank seal/grub screw, with it needing a full frontal with radiator and condenser etc, removal.
Does anybody have any info on the task of getting at and replacing front seal, or the "grub screw" location?

Post #585882 2nd Mar 2021 3:57am
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

thumbnail 1 - Engine-Oil-Pump-6H4Q6600DB-Ref-1315-Range-Rover-L322-3-6-TDV8

See link, this shows a picture of the oil pump, on the top there’s a large hex cap that screws in, the oil can get past the threads, but I’ve only seen one leaking, that said sealing the thread with decent heatproof sealer resolved it.

You need to remove the top turbo hoses and top radiator hose, then the top radiator cowling. Remove the viscous fan then you can get at it quite easy. Hope this is your problem as quite an easy fix if it is.

Post #586002 2nd Mar 2021 11:12pm
vbrab

Australia 

Thanks for that. The "leak' started after I did an oil change, and I went back and checked in case I had installed filter case incorrectly or had overfilled with oil. (It all looked OK.)
I will now check where you suggest and see if that is the origin of the leak.

Post #586010 3rd Mar 2021 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1