Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Replcing 05 Supercharged; Late L322 5.0 or Early L405 5.0??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, some good replies here.

I really want it to be an autobiography with plenty of leather, not keen on a Westminster.

I’ve also always been quite worried about egr valves, re-gen on diesels, two turbos with potential boost leaks etc

It would actually do a lot of short journeys so perhaps the diesel is not the best.

Mileage is going to be 1-2k a year so fuel consumption is not a deal breaker.

And I’ve always wanted the 5.0 to engine, I have a Giulia Quadrifoglio for day to day and I’m very disappointed that they don’t seem to be fitting the 5.0 to the XF again as I really fancied a brand new XFR estate 😀

I enquired about one supercharged L405 but it looked to have been for sale a couple of
Times recently and something didn’t sit right, could be a lemon....

So I would like to find a 2011/12 L322 5.0 in Grey, Blue, Silver, green or that goldfish colour with less than 70k miles,
Maybe that could prove tricky!!!?

Rust wise I rang up about a 2010 one and the guy seemed almost insulted when I asked if he would mind sending a photo of the rear arches to check for signs of rust.

Post #586912 10th Mar 2021 10:34am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Not the 5.0 but a similar experiance, but we had a 07 3.6 TDV8 and I REALLY wanted a late 4.4 TDV8 L322... spent a good 6-8 months looking but regardless of price they all had considerably more corrosion than our 07 even those described as "Mint"!

Decided I didn't want that in a car I usually keep 5 years so jumped to the 4.4 SDV8 L405, at first I was a bit underwhelmed but now I absolutely love it Mr. Green Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #586914 10th Mar 2021 11:05am
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Is the rust something to do with the Tata takeover?

I’ve seen some F types etc have some very corrosion prone under panels etc, the quality of the steel and or prep, maybe they were trying to save some money?

With the L405 I think they look good with the silver side gill vents, are those an option??

Post #586928 10th Mar 2021 12:59pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

I’ve window shopped these three 405’s, the last one has lower mileage but something seems a bit odd and the last service was done via a mobile mechanic on a hand written receipt, nothing wrong with a hand written one but would expect it to be done in a workshop!

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11...d=11280835

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11...d=11341926

https://www.a10carsaleshoddesdon.co.uk/veh...8000e16d84

The Gold one has the highest miles but looks the best spec? Lockdown is making this all very hard, too much to spend without a proper and free look.

Maybe if I get an L322 for closer to 20k if it bites me then at least I won’t begrudge spending a little on tidying a couple of things.

Post #586981 10th Mar 2021 10:56pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Overfinch L322, Overfinch used to be cool but now a bit chavvy??

Maybe if I changed the wheels?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/2...amp;page=1

Post #587008 11th Mar 2021 10:48am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Re rust. My 2007 is a bit better than my 2003, but the subframes are going and there's a bit on the wheel arch. When I got it 3.5 years ago it was not rusting. So if 2012 ones have a rust problem I'd say they weren't as well built as mine. It is a bit crap of LR though as my wife's 11 year old Fiat Panda has no rust on it at all.

The L405 is made of aluminium and aluminium doesn't rust. I've seen pics of F-type corrosion, but this is on the steel subframes, and I think on the L405 even the subframes are aluminium.

Aluminium can corrode, but I've not heard of any problems with the L405. Not seen a thread on it. Did a search on corrosion in the thread title and none came up for the L405. I think JLR learnt a lot from the aluminium XJ which did have a corrosion problem early on, but this was more a paint problem than a structural problem. Any L405 owners want to chip in?

For me, L322 rust is a big enough issue to want to jump to the L405 if I was in your position. It would also mean you'd get the 5.0 with the 8 speed gearbox.

Post #587022 11th Mar 2021 1:22pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

urquattrogus wrote:

Naturally we all have different preferences and priorities; in my opinion...

1. Yes I agree the wheels are, let's say, an acquired taste. They don't work for me.
2. I'm not keen on those multi-coloured seats either, nor having a light pillar and roof trim, but granted that is a personal preference anyway. But if they have the Black Edition seats than in my opinion it should be an actual Black Edition and this car isn't one.
3. It seems a rather standard car plus the Overfinch body kit. I would miss the vision pack, not for the 360 degree cameras but for the auto full beam function and blind spot assist.
4. Red painted six pot Brembo's is also a warning flag to me. Brembo's shouldn't really be painted so unless they've full brake system off job on it that could cause issues.
5. The number of owners is too high for the age and price in my opinion. 5+ that means it changed hands at best every two year, potentially even more. Not what I'd expect to see on a top end priced car.
6. 5+ owners and very low mileage. I'm sorry but to me that would be another warning flag. Me personally would rather have a car with higher mileage that was actually used by some owning it for a period of time.
7. Price is too high and not realistic. Funny how Autotrader calls it a 'Great Price'. Then again someone has a £28K L322 up for sale Rolling with laughter

Not saying my interpretation is the only right way of looking at it, just sharing how I view that advert...

Post #587046 11th Mar 2021 3:05pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

KurtVerbose wrote:
Re rust. My 2007 is a bit better than my 2003, but the subframes are going and there's a bit on the wheel arch. When I got it 3.5 years ago it was not rusting. So if 2012 ones have a rust problem I'd say they weren't as well built as mine. It is a bit crap of LR though as my wife's 11 year old Fiat Panda has no rust on it at all.

The L405 is made of aluminium and aluminium doesn't rust. I've seen pics of F-type corrosion, but this is on the steel subframes, and I think on the L405 even the subframes are aluminium.

Aluminium can corrode, but I've not heard of any problems with the L405. Not seen a thread on it. Did a search on corrosion in the thread title and none came up for the L405. I think JLR learnt a lot from the aluminium XJ which did have a corrosion problem early on, but this was more a paint problem than a structural problem. Any L405 owners want to chip in?

For me, L322 rust is a big enough issue to want to jump to the L405 if I was in your position. It would also mean you'd get the 5.0 with the 8 speed gearbox.

Thanks you, yes you make some very good points.

Post #587049 11th Mar 2021 3:11pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
urquattrogus wrote:

Naturally we all have different preferences and priorities; in my opinion...

1. Yes I agree the wheels are, let's say, an acquired taste. They don't work for me.
2. I'm not keen on those multi-coloured seats either, nor having a light pillar and roof trim, but granted that is a personal preference anyway. But if they have the Black Edition seats than in my opinion it should be an actual Black Edition and this car isn't one.
3. It seems a rather standard car plus the Overfinch body kit. I would miss the vision pack, not for the 360 degree cameras but for the auto full beam function and blind spot assist.
4. Red painted six pot Brembo's is also a warning flag to me. Brembo's shouldn't really be painted so unless they've full brake system off job on it that could cause issues.
5. The number of owners is too high for the age and price in my opinion. 5+ that means it changed hands at best every two year, potentially even more. Not what I'd expect to see on a top end priced car.
6. 5+ owners and very low mileage. I'm sorry but to me that would be another warning flag. Me personally would rather have a car with higher mileage that was actually used by some owning it for a period of time.
7. Price is too high and not realistic. Funny how Autotrader calls it a 'Great Price'. Then again someone has a £28K L322 up for sale Rolling with laughter

Not saying my interpretation is the only right way of looking at it, just sharing how I view that advert...

I didn’t realise the spec things you mentioned and the Brembos, agree yes it’s a lot of owners. MOT history also so so. And I’ve just realised that there are some very poor reviews of the dealer too! Thanks for
Your help Smile

I think to be honest I sort of know that’s not the right one but Patience has never been one of
My strongest points and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t overlooking it out of hand Smile

Post #587050 11th Mar 2021 3:14pm
Goodfella

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey

The grey main dealer L405 linked above looks glorious.

The L322 linked above looks like a Justin Bieber rapper special edition.

Post #587591 15th Mar 2021 6:28pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Just collected a 2010.5 L322 5.0 Autobiography, 69k miles in Stornaway Grey with lovely arabica and ivory leather for £18k

Cosmetically good condition inside and out.

Not so good, does it have the start of chain tensioner noise!!?? Everything else was good so I bravely decided to take it and wrote on the invoice of my concern, it was through a dealer so there is some warranty of sorts.

It'll be going to main dealer to have an outstanding recall done, and I will ask them to check at the same time.

This could be bad! But there is a real shortage of cars in the spec I would like and most have mega miles.

If it means paying for some of the work say 50/50 with dealer then I would be ok with that as this is a long term prospect, i could just as easily buy another and face the same issue later on by the seems of it.

October 2005 Bonatti Grey Supercharged with 71k miles will soon be put up for sale.

Post #588119 20th Mar 2021 10:33am
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Here she is:

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

I'm now Sh!tting a brick about timing chains.

I'm going to get Taylors Land Rover in Great Dunmow to complete an outstanding recall (brake hoses) and report back.

Who can be trusted to do the timing chain and tensioners? I see there is a company in dartford that might be good? Dartford Transmissions and autocare?

Also thing there is a mild coolant weep from a plastic thermostat type valve, some dried pink coolant on it etc.

What else is there to do as preventative maintenance? I think we will also try and apply some Dinitrinol/Waxoyl to the underside. Full expect to keep her for a few years.

I'm loving the brown arabica leather with ivory dash, brown carpets, dark oak wood inserts etc.

Also impressed by how much better it drives than our old car, much better in the corners. Also pleased with the radar cruise, leather headlining, cooled seats etc

The new seats look good but to me but seem to be less comfortable than the 2005 ones!

Post #588181 20th Mar 2021 7:25pm
Bl4ckD0g

Why are you concerned about the timing chain guides? Does the car give you concern to be worried?

Unless it is clattering away and having misfires I'd be more concerned about a coolant leak. It seems to be that age and it could be anything anywhere, might even be a supercharger off job for the hoses underneath it...Keep an eye on coolant levels and pressure.

Preventative maintenance; i.e. that isn't on the maintenance schedule....Gearbox flush and supercharger as well would be on top of my list...

Post #588183 20th Mar 2021 7:45pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Thanks

Yes there is a ticking sound, worse from cold, at idle mostly. I haven’t scanned for codes but no codes flagged up by the car on the dash.

The injectors make a bit of noise too on these? But it’s not that I don’t think, and it’s not like an auxiliary belt or tensioner squeak either. Could also be something loose but I’m almost certain it’s the chains.

One of the appeals of our old 4.2 from 2005 was that they had well and truly sorted any timing chain issues by then.

How they managed to f up the design on this one is beyond me.

My grandfather had a new 1998 XJR and I remember the timing chains having to be replaced under warranty on that early AJ V8!

I have a ramp and do a lot of my own work but the chains and tensioners on this would be next level stuff!

On the plus side, the way the 5.0 steps off the mark is amazing, not quite as quick on the go as I thought it might be but the step on from a standstill for the first few yards takes your breath away.

Post #588190 20th Mar 2021 8:01pm
Bl4ckD0g

The 5.0V8 is a noisy engine in my opinion. It’s nowhere near as refined as the ones I’ve had from Mercedes, AMG, BMW and Porsche. Heck even the one in my old Maserati was quieter.

As such I wouldn’t fear the worst just yet. Also, and I learned this recently, it could. E play in the super charger coupler as that wears out. It was one mine and it’s quieter now n

Post #588191 20th Mar 2021 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>