Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > replacing my FLH air suspension and halfshaft woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MikeB62

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
replacing my FLH air suspension and halfshaft woes

as forums and youtube are my go-to in times of stife and planned maintenance, I thought it my duty to share my experience in replacing the front left suspension strutt and air-bag, and the unwanted excursion into refitting the halfshaft back into the differential. the detail here would have helped me turn a long nightmare into a short easy job.

I chose a Dunlop strut and airbag assembly via ebay - thanks Zishan of Arrowouter in Witham, Essex. as I was near enough to pick the unit up I got the thing for £230.

made the mistake of starting the job with a 2-tonne jack and a bad reaction to the covid jab. borrowed a 3-tonne jack before I shortened my life !

followed all the youtube advise and raised the suspension to maximum and pulled the fuse for the controller - #7 in the glove box fuse holder in my late 2008 L322. was also told that leaving the tail gate open also inhibited the air suspension controller, and that did seem to hold up to subsequent experience.

a couple of youtubers mentioned the vulnerability of the suspension height sensor and how they can be trashed by over winding them. I popped off the bottom joint and tucked the arm out of the way.

the two strut-hub nut & bolts were an utter nightmare given my weak condition. by corrosion or design the bolts were an interference fit in the hubs. thankfully, my weak state meant I had to work smarter not harder. used the 2-tonne jack to support the hub and a socket and long bar on the bolt then practiced my low spring board technique on the bar until the bolts were unstuck. only then did the 2lb hammer come out. my method means the bolts are salvageable. with both bolts out the hub popped away from the strut, dragging the halfshaft out of the differential in the process.

I used a strip of plywood as a ramp, laid over the swing arms, for the bottom of the strut to slide on instead of falling onto the drive shaft and spearing the CV gaiter. undoing the top three nuts and guiding the strut assembly down the ramp was achieved with calmness and serenity. I'd deliberately not depressurised that corner of the air suspension so I had my final confirmation of a gross leak when there was no hiss of air as I disconnected the air hose. the new strutt assembly was shuffled up the ramp and into place without any assistance.

before joining the hub to the strut, I cleaned up the splines on the halfshaft and offered it back into the differential. the two strut bolts had been wire bushed and slabbered in copper-slip and previously checked that they would go through the hub without the use of vulgar force. pop back the height sensor arm, put the wheel back on and we are done !

thankfully transmission fluid stinks so only about 40 miles were done before it was realised that the halfshaft wasn't home properly. the best help was from this forum - I had to get the splined end pushed smartly until it clicked into a locked position. I simply didn't have the strength to do it, plus everyone on youtube and the forums was dealing with complete halfshaft replacements so were able to get a good shove on it. in my desperation I used the handle/arm of my 2-tonne jack as a lever - the rubber handle up against the hard cup of the diff side CV underneath the gaiter, and nearby sub-frame as a fulcrum. the splined end snapped in easily. finally I'm done !

the worst parts of the job were the 2 lower strut bolts and then the halfshaft. done again with air tools and possibly some heat on the hub this job could easily be done in 1/2 hour. it actually took me 6+2 hours over 2 days. I did a lot of research before I started, without which I could easily have Censored the job up completely.

Post #588206 20th Mar 2021 11:19pm
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Well written story of pain and suffering, especially with the drive shaft.

I usually make sure ive got a good supply of asprins before I start anything now.

Glad you got it sorted. Thumbs Up

Post #588253 21st Mar 2021 2:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1