Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > How to control your Fuel Burning Heater from from smartphone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harvenberg

Sweden 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Nara Bronze
How to control your Fuel Burning Heater from from smartphone

Hi,

The L322 is a great car, best I've ever had but I do miss the Volvo on call feature of my "old" S60. The possibility to use an app instead of the clunky T90 remote is of course very attractive.

I bought a kit from a Swedish site
https://gsm-start.se/en/webasto-eberspacher

It's about 200€ and it works great. It uses an app that communicate with a small unit that attaches to the T91 receiver in the back of the trunk.

You need a prepaid SIM that handles GSM. It doesn't need any data as it communicates by SMS, meaning the total cost per year will be almost zero.

Installation was very easy, 20 min tops.

Click image to enlarge

Content:
Headunit
GSM antenna
Temp sensor
Cable
3M Scotch locks

Click image to enlarge

Use a prepaid SIM

Click image to enlarge

Make sure to disable the PIN. Put in a phone and disable the PIN. The procedure depends on whether it's android or Iphone

Click image to enlarge

Step one: locate the T91 receiver in the back of the trunk

Click image to enlarge

Step two: Disconnect the cable from the T91 (I guess it's a good thing to make sure you're not running the FBH at this point...)

Click image to enlarge

Step Three: use the Scotch locks to connect the cable harness from the GSM unit to the 3 cables coming from the T91

See the wiring diagram. Once connected, tape up all the rest of the cables

Click image to enlarge

Insert the SIM into the unit. Use a gem or similar to push on the little brown pin to the left of the SIM card holder to get it out.
Use the "mini" size SIM

Click image to enlarge

Connect the GSM antenna and the temp sensor. The temp sensor is not needed but it can be nice to have if you want to know how frosty things are in you Rangy

Now, I made a little error when I spliced the cables hence I need to go out and take some new pictures on the final install.

But once all is connected you should se a yellow and red led. After a while the red led should go out and the yellow should flash slowly.

Then it's time for the app. Download the GSM app and follow the instructions. It's rather straightforward.

Just make sure that the unit is set in OP MODE1.

Once done you'll be able to start and stop the heater from anywhere in the world as long as you've got your phone. I used that feature a lot when I was traveling and came back to a nice and heated car at the airport.

Post #587861 18th Mar 2021 10:02am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

great write up, thank you....added to our wiki.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #587868 18th Mar 2021 11:43am
Harvenberg

Thanks!

I'll come back with some pics and screenshots from the app. I've also talked to the guys at GSM-Start and there shouldn't be any issues using this in UK or anywhere else as long as they still use GSM and haven't completely moved over to 3G/4G/5G

Post #587870 18th Mar 2021 11:46am
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Great write-up ! Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #587873 18th Mar 2021 12:02pm
Harvenberg

Thanks! Perhaps it need mentioning that you've got to have the FBH (duh!) and a Telestart to make this work. Might be possible to hook it up even if you don't have the Telestart but that's for wiser men to say.

Post #587880 18th Mar 2021 1:20pm
Harvenberg

A little update. The FBH runs for about 4 minutes when I press the attempt or use the app. Then it shuts down. When I fired up the engine it ran for about 12 minutes and then temp level on the dash was up to 1/4, 1/2 being straight up. Anyone had this happening? Funny thing is that on one occasion it didn’t light up the automatic fan led but automatic air distribution led, indicating that it was just ventilating. It was then well below 16 degrees which is the cutoff.

Post #588185 20th Mar 2021 7:47pm
Nismotec

United Kingdom 

Hi all... I have done this mod last year on my 2004 TD6 using a GSM gate opener . I didnt have a Telestart fitted so i just wired directly to the FBH power plug. The FBH only needs a 12v Signal to fire it up so its not complicated. The GSM gate opener needs a sim and it is switched on via a simple text or phone call. It auto answers and hang up so it doesnt charge the caller. The FBH will run for its pre set 30 min before shutting down. Works a treat. and the GSM gate opener can be got from Ebay for £20. And being connected to a mobile phone network, it can in theory be switched on from anywhere in the world. Way better than the factory remote which only has a few meter range. I have photos and links somewhere on my other PC if any one wants the info... Thumbs Up

Post #604142 18th Aug 2021 10:17pm
Nismotec

United Kingdom 

Harvenberg wrote:
A little update. The FBH runs for about 4 minutes when I press the attempt or use the app. Then it shuts down. When I fired up the engine it ran for about 12 minutes and then temp level on the dash was up to 1/4, 1/2 being straight up. Anyone had this happening? Funny thing is that on one occasion it didn’t light up the automatic fan led but automatic air distribution led, indicating that it was just ventilating. It was then well below 16 degrees which is the cutoff.

Your FBH cut off too soon because it over heated.. It has an internal water pump which seizes and causes the water flow to be too slow or even stop so the heater over heats and shuts down. It will do this 3 times then will hard lock out which needs re setting with diagnostics and fuse pulling.. As you noticed it works ok with the engine running. this is because the FBH is using the engines water pump to move the water so it doesnt overheat. Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #604143 18th Aug 2021 10:22pm
GraemeJudge

2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Nismotec wrote:
Hi all... I have done this mod last year on my 2004 TD6 using a GSM gate opener . I didnt have a Telestart fitted so i just wired directly to the FBH power plug. The FBH only needs a 12v Signal to fire it up so its not complicated. The GSM gate opener needs a sim and it is switched on via a simple text or phone call. It auto answers and hang up so it doesnt charge the caller. The FBH will run for its pre set 30 min before shutting down. Works a treat. and the GSM gate opener can be got from Ebay for £20. And being connected to a mobile phone network, it can in theory be switched on from anywhere in the world. Way better than the factory remote which only has a few meter range. I have photos and links somewhere on my other PC if any one wants the info... Thumbs Up

Hi did you ever find the photos to add to this showing how to wire up the GSM unit directly to heater please and it installed 😊

Post #625363 4th Mar 2022 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1