Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Competitors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicklaus1988

Competitors

Looking to purchase a car in the next few months, can't decide so looking for some input.

Options are FFRR, RRS, Q7, Cayenne or X5. Petrol or diesel, no electric power to my parking space so hybrid doesn't make much sense at the minute. Either new or nearly new. There's only myself and my partner currently but that will change with children and/or dogs in the near future.

Not owned any of the above before, concerns about Land Rover reliability but only from the scare stories that the internet seems to perpetuate. The FFRR I imagine will be the comfiest/most luxurious but worried that it might be too big? Not that bothered how engaging the drive is, being comfortable is the most important. Head says Cayenne is perfect size but to get to a comparative spec to an Autobiography is £15k plus and haven't seen anything nearly new for a while that comes close.

Anyone that went through a similar decision/has driven more of the above have any comments to make? Will look to test drive as and when possible in the next month or so.

Post #588679 24th Mar 2021 9:17am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

your talking to the wrong crowd we are all biased Thumbs Up
on the subject of petrol or diesel you have to look at your most common driving? if it is mostly round town with no longer faster trips then avoid diesel on all of them as they will all have DPF or AdBlue or both and DPF cars do not like short journeys and you will end up in DPF hell!! for that i would stick to a petrol car. if you do a combination of driving with regular 20 min + at above 40 - 50 MPH then you should be fine with diesel.

as for what car take a drive in all of them as they are all fine cars then go for the one that made you feel most special. for me it was the FFRR hope this helps 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #588682 24th Mar 2021 9:29am
Bmax01

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You're comparing apples with oranges. Yes the RRS, Q7, Cayenne and X5 are "competitors" but not to a FF. The FF is in a different class - more apt to compare it to a Bentayga. It's not meant to be sporty for a start.

It's big but easy to drive as you sit so high up. Probably not a great city car though for size and other issues flagged above.

Buy a well looked after one and you won't regret it. Best luxury motoring this side of a Bentley or Rolls. L405 4.4 AB Loire Blue
Tesla Model Y
Audi A6 2012 (sold)
BMW 5 series 3.0 petrol, champagne II edition (sold)

Post #588693 24th Mar 2021 11:16am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Went through similar process before I bought my L405 and my Disco 4.

With Disco 4 there was the Toyota LC V8 in the mix but the Dealers thought they could charge what they want for an abused nail and they have thirst for oil even after the oil pump scavenge mod. Surprised you've not looked at an X7 as well as the X5.

Drive them and check out the specs, bias apart, a lot of what you get standard on the RR is an option on the others. The Q7 is the worst of the bunch in my opinion. Nearly bought an X7, it drove well but didn't feel quick, loads of space, but boy is it ugly and again the dealers don't understand the competition and can't get their head around someone objecting to paying for something thats standard on an RRS/RR. (seem to remember X-Drive being £3595)

Everyone slates LR for reliability but Audi, BMW and Porsche are no better, my friends son works for Enterprise who supply cars for JLR and Porsche and they get as many requests for Porsche as they do for JLR. My other halves X5 has spent more time in the dealers than on the road in the last 6 months of 2020.

The only thing where the BMW slightly pulls ahead, is tech; integrated induction charging and heated and cooled cupholders.

Stating the obvious, if you're using it to pull or off-road, the JLR product has all of them beat. From memory, despite the size, the X7 can only pull 2.2 tonnes. Audi and BMW are all hopeless in heavy snow.

Just buy either an RRS or a FFRR.

Post #588695 24th Mar 2021 11:46am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Just shows we have all different views. Any of those cars can compete in different categories and have unique features that would exclude others from them.

Also new they vary wildly in price especially when not getting specific on the engine.

I’m not sure I’m reading it correctly but the £15K remark suggests we are talking about older second hand ones. In that case for the money there is simply no doubt; the full fat Range Rover is unbeatable on price and luxury levels. None of the others come close, perhaps only a Mercedes GLS but that seems to holds its value much better.

The Cayennes for that price are rough in my opinion. And not luxury. I did look at them, and they really reminded me of a previous generation VW Toureq. The handling may be great but sitting in them isn’t. But, they have lots and lots of rear leg room. That is absolutely awesome.

X5 meh, nice drive but boring and not luxury options. Try finding one with heated rear seats for example. That is as good as impossible.

Audi Q7 of that age is like getting into an even older Audi A6 estate on stilts.

There was a reason why I ended up with a 5.0SC full fat, as for practicality, luxury and performance there is no better value for money on the second hand market at the moment.

If you were looking for new it is a rather different story. But even then, just based on the touch of materials alone the Range Rover is very different to the others.

Post #588697 24th Mar 2021 12:02pm
nicklaus1988

Thanks all.

Driving will be around town with the odd 300 mile round trip maybe once every 2 months.

X7 hadn't really crossed my mind but think that's big for the sake of being big, don't see much advantage over an X5.

A new Cayenne specced to the same level as an AB works out to be about £15k more expensive. IE £100k vs £115k.

I've been looking at a lot of nearly new AB, don't want ebony interior so narrows down a fair bit. Prices don't seem that different from a new factory order, where I could have the colour and interior of my choosing.

Only options I'd look to add to the AB would be HUD and possibly signature sound, whereas with Porsche/BMW there's a whole lot of expensive option box ticking to get close.

Post #588700 24th Mar 2021 12:39pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Ok so you are looking at a new car. The others one your list may come close on paper but nowhere near close when you feel and touch the materials unless perhaps they offer leather upgrades as well.

Speaking from experience though; if you are thinking of expanding to a family and dog and then use this car you might not want the luxuries from the Range Rover and prefer the practical and hard wearing German (fake) leathers. Also when children especially young children come on the scene then ebony interiors are perfect 👌 Ones life will change and got to focus on practicalities.

Heck if I had to do that over again today I might even go for the practicality of a Tesla X despite it being one of the most ugly cars on the road in my opinion as it is fast, super practical, has a bigger range than my supercharger 🤣 and can swallow anything.

Post #588704 24th Mar 2021 1:57pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

HUD and signature sound is a great option, I have them on mine and they will be on my must have list when I change it. Thumbs Up

Post #588798 24th Mar 2021 10:25pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

If you want to smile every time you get in it have a Range Rover. The new D300 engine with a Vogue SE +HUD is really all you need, even then you'll never use all the toys anyway, Most reviews say the SE is the sweetspot and the D300 is perfectly adequate unless towing. All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #589027 26th Mar 2021 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1