Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Email from Land Rover - "Enjoy enhanced security"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
Email from Land Rover - "Enjoy enhanced security"

Aside from the fact I have never given LR permission to use my email for marketing. I dont use IOS or Android and more importantly is that I know it wont work on my car! so not very well targeted either.

From the email
"With advanced software and highly intelligent security settings, Land Rover has been verified as producing some of the most secure vehicles on the market"

So how come Range Rovers are amongst the most stolen cars in the UK?

"You may also wish to store your keys in a faraday bag when not in use."

So not so secure then!

Is it not time that the manufacturers fixed this problem? Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #589032 26th Mar 2021 1:19pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Its a problem all Manufactures face. Its just JLR are the most desirable in the UK and abroad.

A good start is to disable keyless entry which the owner has control of.

Of course if you dont get a Faraday pouch the key is emitting your frequency all the time, in the supermarket etc and I guess the determined will scan and copy/clone that signal? Then if thats possible? they get access to your car if keyless is abled.

Or do we go backward to some sort of physical key system?

The tea leaf will also try and jam your signal when you try and lock the car, you think its locked, it isn't, did you hear the beep? did you watch the lights flash? did you confirm and watch the mirrors auto close?

The number of times I have walked back to the car because I cant remember if I locked it lol yeh I am at that age!!!!

You can actually buy jamming signal detectors and call the police when you detect and see the scum bags using their jammer, but is their device illegal? Is the jamming detector device legal? bet theirs is legal and yours isn't lol

Anyway Tea Leaf gets access to car, with your signal no damage so far, without your signal though a damaged door and lock/window. He makes for the diagnostic port to stop alarm and clone a key. You didn't fit a dummy? if you did it can cause a big delay that he ain't interested in, as the alarm is banging on and on.

Options,
1 the good old StopLock pro a visual deterrent, that might just make him look elsewhere (maybe he burnt out the battery of his grinder on the last job).

2 A Ghost immobiliser and a Scorpion Tracker (because you dont trust JLR in hiding the tracker competently, Its probably in the ******). Has JLR improved their security regarding hiding trackers?---anyone?

I am personally waiting todays delivery of option 1, it might just prevent damage, they just might look elsewhere. But if they dont, they just might think "hang on" what else has this guy installed? if not, they soon find they cant use the diagnostic port as a dummy is in there, they waste valuable time trying to remove the port and look for the dummy connector, they soon realise the cant bypass the immobiliser.

I am and busy reading up on option 2 ready for booking, anyone on here compared Ghost2 with Pandora? Any feedback on Scorpion tracking or better?

Does anyone have data on which MY has the most stolen vehicles is it the older models? or is it increasing each year? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #589061 26th Mar 2021 6:03pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

It is NOT and issue that all manufacturers face. And NOT all keys constantly transmit all the time.

If your car is affected then just use a farradays pouch. Easy and effective.

Post #589098 26th Mar 2021 9:38pm
bigbo

This is not an issue that I face with my FF, which I feel is more secure than any modern car that uses keyless entry.

However my wife's Focus is affected and I strongly feel that we should not have to use a faraday pouch to get around the failures of the manufacturer's shortcomings on security.

One of my points was that if the manufacturer tells me to buy a third party security device (faraday pouch) then they are admitting that their security falls short of what we should expect and if they cannot solve that then why do they not supply a faraday pouch for each set of keys provided with the vehicle?

Please manufacturers get your finger out of your Censored and sort this out!

Sorry rant over, but I do feel strongly about this as coming from an IT background security is paramount to everyday life. Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2

Post #589117 26th Mar 2021 10:49pm
Martin2

England 

I keep my keys in a faraday pouch when they are at home and it’s no hassle at all, but I don’t bother at any other time. I don’t want to disable keyless as I’ve had it for 10 years and like it and I’d be more worried about someone breaking in for the keys than scanning them from outside. But you can’t live you life that that, so I’ve got gap insurance..... Very Happy MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #589122 26th Mar 2021 11:05pm
Bl4ckD0g

Exactly. If they want the car they will find a way. And if they want I will hand them the keys myself Wink It’s what insurance is for. Now if the insurers deem it a problem they’ll get their finger out. Naturally if one is bothered and concerned there is an easy solution; don’t buy a car with bad security 👍

Post #589130 26th Mar 2021 11:16pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Might i add a point that i believe many owners have overlooked? SUPERLOCKING or good old deadlocks, you need to press lock TWICE on either your door handle or remote to employ SUPERLOCKING... Now for the kicker, your full alarm is NOT enabled until you press the SUPERLOCKING...

Hmmmmm, could this be one way they are getting nicked? I suspect so!

Post #589144 27th Mar 2021 1:29am
Johnh

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I understood if you disabled keyless entry then the key will no longer transmit unless a button is pushed. I may be wrong.

My brother had his F Pace stolen by the signal being picked up, luckily it was found despite being on false plates from another F Pace. Now uses a faraway bag.

Post #589147 27th Mar 2021 2:14am
bigbo

with the greatest respect guys we are going off subject here.

I questioned why the manufacturers are not doing something about the inherent weakness in the current security systems on our cars not how to get around those weaknesses which has been covered many times before.

To give an example from the IT industry it is near impossible for the average criminal to hack into my (or any properly set up device) phone/tablet/pc and yet it is very easy to hack into our cars for a few pounds spent on eBay to buy some relatively simple hardware that enable the criminals to imitate our keys either on the drive in in the supermarket car park.

The fact that this is possible is in itself verging on a criminal lack of care within the automotive industry.

What is wrong in pressing a button? maybe that button can have a finger print reader built in, it can still be keyless start.

Just a thought.....

David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2

Post #589150 27th Mar 2021 3:24am
Bl4ckD0g

I disagree. You paint a very rosy picture of IT Security, especially so phone/tablet/pc. That is just not true. Now you redeem yourself a little with the comment between brackets (properly setup...) and with that proviso as many have highlighted here you can do the same with cars where the default configuration isn't good enough. Thumbs Up

And no, the hacks for cars with vulnerable keyless entry/start don't cost a few pounds on Ebay at all. That again is a disingenuous representation to validate your own point. A fully configured box of tricks on the black market (can't buy that on Ebay) will run into many thousands. Where one is technical enough to make one yourself then you'd need to invest in a two way software defined radio system, then power than and run it remotely. And you'd need the right spectrum unlocked as well. Naturally any decent pen tester has got such tools in their toolkit already...But again they don't come cheap. I'm wearing a white hat Wink

Post #589153 27th Mar 2021 6:39am
Johnh

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I cannot see the point of a finger print reader, the one on my phone is not reliable at the best of times and does not work when either my hands are dirty or wearing gloves. Far more reliable to press a button on the fob.

If we went back to keys, it would only result in a new generation of lock pickers

Post #589184 27th Mar 2021 11:52am
bigbo

In Germany the ADAC replicated a swiss investigation into the theft of keyless entry cars. They spent $225 on the equipment required and "stole" a number of cars from manufacturers including Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Toyota and Volkswagon to mention just a few.
To quote ADAC "every second semester electronic student should be able to build such devices without any further technical instruction"

To me that is simple and cheap. This is something the manufacturers need to address and I fail to see why nothing has been done and why they continue to ignore studies such as this. Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2

Post #589200 27th Mar 2021 12:45pm
Bl4ckD0g

Iirc that report correctly; that was slightly different and was targeting specific models with specific vulnerabilities. A bit like the known CVE in IT. I think those vehicles affected should have had a recall. But ultimate that is between the insurance company and them. It is not the case that all systems are wrong, nor that they all have the same vulnerabilities.

Now it you think that is scary, you should look into the reports from the university of Twente who demonstrated at black hat a few years ago how to hack into the private area network of a car. Smile You can have some fun with that 🤣

Post #589246 27th Mar 2021 4:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1