Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > HP vs PCP vs Cash
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jackcramerr

HP vs PCP vs Cash

A while back some folks here argued with me that they would go for PCP or HP when buying a car is it is cheaper... I cannot find that post and I wanted to understand that again as I am giving these options.

Price of car is 145k
PCP 49 months is 175k with roughly 1800 a month
HP 48 months is 165k with roughly 3k a month. I rounded all the figures.

So how is any of this cheaper than cash buy?

There was something suggested by someone here that I get a deal via PCP or HP then pay the car off in cash? How does that work...

Thanks

Post #587986 19th Mar 2021 10:14am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The point is that it depends; depends on promotions, contributions etc.

It is impossible to say that always, at any moment in time, one method is cheaper or better than any other method. I do the sums each and every time.

For example;
1. Sometimes there is a finance contribution which just isn't available when buying cash. In that case it can make sense to take a finance options.
2. Depending on the kind of finance on an offer it may be possible to buy, get a finance agreement in place and pay it off without penalties in the first 7 days. Then the finance is clearly cheaper, you had the benefits but didn't pay the interest.
3. Sometimes (often with brand new models) there are really good outright lease deals for just 12 or 24 months with no option to buy. As the leasing companies pre-order lots of cars their purchase power is way greater than yours. the limitations are often in colour and options, but they aren't daft and understand the game and often include good versions.
And so on...

There simply is no fixed answer, you need to do your calculations...

For example in your sums above you did not take into account any discounts, interest rates, finance deposit allowances, early termination fees or allowance etc. As such you aren't comparing like for like.

My general approach, but your mileage may vary, is to first of all get to the best cash price discount, then start working in any dealer, manufacturer, and finance contributions. And don't forget to utilise multiple dealers and suppliers either. Then do the sums and pick one that suits you....

Last edited by Bl4ckD0g on 19th Mar 2021 10:30am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #587989 19th Mar 2021 10:25am
Martin2

England 

Unless you think the car will be worth less than the GFV on a PCP with a low APR or it's a 0% finance offer, then it won't be cheaper than cash.

If there is a finance contribution, then take it and pay the balance off quickly and there won't be a penalty and you'll keep the contribution so it's like getting additional discount. I did that with my wife's Golf R, saved an extra £1500 on top of the £4000 discount.

Lease can be different as there are sometimes very good deals, but it's never worked out for me.

I look at the total cost over the period of each option and go with the lowest, but only once has that been a PCP, the rest were either straight cash purchases or a cheap bank loan for some of it if the cash was better used elsewhere. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #587990 19th Mar 2021 10:29am
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Slightly off-topic, but this forum would be great if it had a "Like" or "Thanks" button on posts.

I would find myself liking a lot of Bl4ckD0g's posts for their useful content and the time taken to create. I read the one above and the recent Bitcoin ones with great interest for example!

Thanks Bl4ckD0g Thumbs Up

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #587999 19th Mar 2021 11:25am
Bl4ckD0g

Thank you Smile I’m sure my directness is an acquired taste for some, but when one gets beyond that and look at the content I fully agree with you 🤣

PS I’m loving your name D3JON I always have to make a double take as it is so close to my number plate D5JNG and my real name. I actually wanted the D3 version 🤣

Post #588006 19th Mar 2021 1:12pm
jackcramerr

Thanks everyone.

I am going to ask for what the Financial contribution will be and what will be the costs for paying it in cash.

They did not reduce even 1 GBP off the price of the car when I placed order.

I don't like the forecourt cars much. None have special paint. Majority have black interior. Most are low spec. So I went with a brand new one in this case.

Post #588024 19th Mar 2021 3:43pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Jack, some online car retailers are offering a 17% discount on Range Rovers. You should be getting something off the RRP?

Jim

Post #588029 19th Mar 2021 4:14pm
Bl4ckD0g

Definitely a good suggestion. Try something like carwow for a cash purchase price as a comparison. In addition a quick look online shows that there should be an instead further £5K off when taking out a PCP. Then just pay it off the following day and bingo you’ve got £5K extra saved. I’ll take a modest 15% please 🤣

Last edited by Bl4ckD0g on 19th Mar 2021 7:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #588048 19th Mar 2021 5:46pm
Martin2

England 

jackcramerr wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I am going to ask for what the Financial contribution will be and what will be the costs for paying it in cash.

They did not reduce even 1 GBP off the price of the car when I placed order.

I don't like the forecourt cars much. None have special paint. Majority have black interior. Most are low spec. So I went with a brand new one in this case.

Please don't pay list price!

I've had a quick look at a couple of online brokers and you should get at least £15k off a £145k car and that's assuming it's an SV, it would be over £20k if not as long as other models have a decent deposit contribution if you take it on PCP or HP, which you can pay off straight away and keep the discount/deposit contribution so it's a real saving whatever you do.

Some info and this is on top of the discount, just relates to taking finance.

Discounted quotes shown include:

£5,000 deposit contribution on Vogue, Westminster and Westminster Black models
£6,000 deposit contribution on Vogue SE models
£7,000 deposit contribution on Autobiography and Fifty models (except SV models)
This deposit contribution is conditional upon you taking out either PCP or Hire Purchase finance at 5.9% APR Representative with Land Rover finance.

If you do not wish to take this finance offer we are able to get a £1,500 discount on Vogue, Westminster and Westminster Black, £2,000 discount on Vogue SE and £2,500 discount on Autobiography & Fifty models (except SV models) in lieu of the finance deposit contribution, meaning you will need to add the difference to the discounted quote shown.
 MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #588051 19th Mar 2021 6:18pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Another thing to throw into the mix is whether you get any kind of car allowance from an employer. That can make leasing very attractive, or look at it as an interest rate subsidy on the payment if you’re buying on HP or PCP.

Post #588059 19th Mar 2021 7:05pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
Thank you Smile I’m sure my directness is an acquired taste for some, but when one gets beyond that and look at the content I fully agree with you 🤣

PS I’m loving your name D3JON I always have to make a double take as it is so close to my number plate D5JNG and my real name. I actually wanted the D3 version 🤣

Thumbs Up That's my original username from Aulro.com from the days when I had a Disco3 'Down Under' (back in Blighty now) it just kinda stuck! Very Happy

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #588086 19th Mar 2021 11:23pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

jackcramerr Is buying n SVautobiography? There could be an issue with dealer allocations; like, if they only get allocated one SVAb per quarter, they won’t discount because supply is limited. The answer to that would be to go to a dealer outside of the mainstream high income areas. Extreme example: Cornwall... I bet they struggle to sell their SVA allocation.

This can be simplified by using a broker, or the online alternatives. When I bought my car I used Autoedbid (if I remember) to get a fuel for discounts, then simply went to my dealer and demanded a better discount. Haggle haggle haggle. I ended up paying 0.3% more than the AutoeBid price but with the advantage of it being my local dealer in London.

In terms of finance, no idea, I only pay cash, but that is because I keep my cars for a long time. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #588087 19th Mar 2021 11:30pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Martin2 wrote:

£5,000 deposit contribution on Vogue, Westminster and Westminster Black models
£6,000 deposit contribution on Vogue SE models
£7,000 deposit contribution on Autobiography and Fifty models (except SV models)
This deposit contribution is conditional upon you taking out either PCP or Hire Purchase finance at 5.9% APR Representative with Land Rover finance.
[/i]

I dont understand why this happens, I was recently quoted for a new one, taking 10k over 2 years but told that if I took the finance there was a gentleman's agreement not to settle for 6 months. The dealer commission cant be that much. Why dont they just give another 5k discount. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #588123 20th Mar 2021 10:41am
jackcramerr

Been offered 1500 deposit contribution. They said early repayment is not something they like and requested I do not do it. Does that mean I can do it and I should do it?

They requested to see my bank statements as well. Is this normal? Not sure what they will see there as I hardly keep anything in account as I invest everything.

Post #588230 21st Mar 2021 11:10am
Bl4ckD0g

ilard wrote:

In terms of finance, no idea, I only pay cash, but that is because I keep my cars for a long time.

Seem silly to me to be so one-sided on it; you can be leaving free money on the table Wink

Post #588234 21st Mar 2021 11:34am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>