Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Hybrids - RR vs X5 4.5e vs Cayenne e-hybrid - thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
KM

Hybrids - RR vs X5 4.5e vs Cayenne e-hybrid - thoughts?

Hi, it's time to change the RR. I'm on my 4th - a lovely 2016 V8 diesel autobiography. Mulling fuel options.

First question is does anyone know if / think RR will ever produce a 6 cylinder PHEV or are we 'stuck' with the 4 cylinder P400e as a bridge to a full electric RR in, what, 2022, 2023?

I'd love to think a 6 cylinder PHEV was coming soon but I suspect not - anyone got any views or intel?

I've read the threads on the P400e and read the reviews and I get that my 'opposition' to a 4 cylinder RR may just be me being old fashioned. It seems that if your mileage / nature of journeys suit a hybrid then don't be put off by the 4 cylinder engine. It works with very slight compromises. And if your driving consists of lots of long motorway journeys then don't buy a hybrid period - 4 or 6 cylinder - stick with a diesel. At least for the next few years.

But then I read the very favourable reviews of the 6 cylinder X5 4.5e and the 6 cylinder Cayenne e-hybrid and can't help feeling they are a pretty perfect solution - esp the 4.5e which gets great reviews. Harry Metcalfe ex Evo journo (Harrys garage You Tube channel) had one for 9,000 miles and got c50-55mpg overall because of the real 45 miles EV range and he rated it very, very highly. Up there with RR for ride and refinement too.

Second question is, anyone got any views on these two alternatives? I've had 2 X5's before my first RR back in early 2000's and they were definitely several notches below a RR then but I guess the latest model is a big step up. Never driven a Cayenne and they are pricey for what you get but again, that 6 cylinder engine...

I always buy used at c2 years and keep for c3 - 4 years so the great advantage with an Autobiography is you only have to worry about colour / wheels cos the spec is so comprehensive. With an X5 and esp a Cayenne, finding one with all those extra toys I regard as essential (adaptive cruise, massage seats, cabin-pre heat, heated wheel etc etc) is much more difficult, sometimes downright impossible. And I can't quite bring myself to shell out £85 - £95k for a perfectly specc'd new one. Maybe the Porsche - at least the residuals are better - but definitely not the beemer.

If the P400e was a 6 cylinder there wouldn't even be a debate - even though the real world EV range is half that of the beemer - but it isn't! Grrrr!

Maybe I should just get a V8 petrol RR Autobiography or even an RRS SVR before they're deemed totally unacceptable!

Thoughts welcome. Thx!

Keith

Post #587984 19th Mar 2021 10:01am
Martin2

England 

There are plenty P400e fans on here, but I'd struggle with a 4 cylinder engine as well.

The 45e is an excellent option, but there are a number of things I don't like about the X5 so I went back to diesel and bought the RR when I needed a bigger car. I think I'd sacrifice range and get a Cayenne.

The 50-55mpg does annoy me a bit as most people ignore the cost of the electricity, I know that's a lot less than petrol/diesel, but it's not the same cost as a standard combustion engined vehicle. The local trips and/or first part of journeys will be cheaper, but on long runs you'll be down in the 20s mpg. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #587994 19th Mar 2021 10:57am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I haven’t seen the latest x5 nor cayenne. But having had the GLS and despite all the luxury like an S class I do think the Range Rover is actually a notch above.

I’d find it very hard to go back, and that is despite me buying an old l322 which was supposed to be a cheap in between car.

Only you know what works for you, but I’d go for a petrol V8 whilst you can. Skip all this hybrid compromise and go for the fill EV version once available.

Post #588008 19th Mar 2021 1:24pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

What about the (6 cyl) P400 MHEV? A friend has this engine in a RR Sport and is happy with it, the RR will be heavier so performance presumably lower, but still 400bhp and not the same dependence on battery being charged or 4cyl.

I'm happy with my 5.0SC, fuel consumption in lockdown with only short journeys possible a disappointing 16 mpg or so, but in happier times with mainly longer journeys I was getting over 20. It's very pleasant to drive and a simpler set-up than the hybrids or indeed the twin turbo & AdBlue diesels. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #588026 19th Mar 2021 4:09pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

MHEV is really just a fancy starter motor, doesn’t drive on electric power only.

Post #588035 19th Mar 2021 4:39pm
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I'd second Bl4ckDogs conclusion, get a petrol V8 while you can! 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #588038 19th Mar 2021 4:48pm
Bl4ckD0g

Mel Gibson was a prophet when he predicted this.

Post #588047 19th Mar 2021 5:43pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If you look at the Defender and Discovery ranges they've removed all the 4 cylinder engines, to the point of having a 3.0 diesel with only 200bhp.

I think the only reason the hybrid has a 4 cylinder is the six wasn't ready. I don't know, but I can't imagine that the L460 won't come with a six cylinder hybrid. Maybe it will come with both a 4 and a six.

Apart from anything, the V8 is starting to look very out of date. I know they're going to keep making it, but I think most of them will go to markets in the far East, etc. A 400 bhp six with 100+ bhp electric motor would be just as fast and make a lot more sense in Europe.

I also think the L460 will be a lot more sorted as a hybrid. They'll place the battery better so you don't loose boot space, sort out the towing limits and almost certainly give it more battery range, as the L460 has been designed for an electric architecture from the beginning.

Post #588111 20th Mar 2021 9:42am
Bl4ckD0g

A 400BHP six will remain a 400BHP six....the electric part just isn't available for that long. A 400BHP six is fun perhaps in a small car like a BMW M2 but still a bit underwhelming in a big heavy vehicle like a full fat in my opinion...And then will have to be worked hard...

Post #588114 20th Mar 2021 10:15am
KurtVerbose

Plenty of road tests of the P400 already. None of them that I've seen agree with you.

For how long do you use all 500 bhp? In a few seconds you're already doing the legal limit.

Post #588143 20th Mar 2021 2:47pm
Martin2

England 

KurtVerbose wrote:
If you look at the Defender and Discovery ranges they've removed all the 4 cylinder engines, to the point of having a 3.0 diesel with only 200bhp.

I think the only reason the hybrid has a 4 cylinder is the six wasn't ready. I don't know, but I can't imagine that the L460 won't come with a six cylinder hybrid. Maybe it will come with both a 4 and a six.

Apart from anything, the V8 is starting to look very out of date. I know they're going to keep making it, but I think most of them will go to markets in the far East, etc. A 400 bhp six with 100+ bhp electric motor would be just as fast and make a lot more sense in Europe.

I also think the L460 will be a lot more sorted as a hybrid. They'll place the battery better so you don't loose boot space, sort out the towing limits and almost certainly give it more battery range, as the L460 has been designed for an electric architecture from the beginning.

If JLR are taking BMW tech, maybe the L460 with have the 45e engine? That will be a big improvement on the P400e (6 cylinder, range, efficiency etc) MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #588158 20th Mar 2021 4:47pm
Bl4ckD0g

KurtVerbose wrote:
Plenty of road tests of the P400 already. None of them that I've seen agree with you.

For how long do you use all 500 bhp? In a few seconds you're already doing the legal limit.

LOL That is not how it works, reserves are just as important if not more...Not just with cars but with well almost anything that uses power...

I really don't care whether 'road tests' agree with me or not. Are we in school or something? Do things only count when certain motoring 'journalists' opinion agree and back you up? How about you have your own opinion and actually are confident with that and can discuss?

Anyway to me a big heavy car should have plenty of power, readily available all of the time. But I do appreciate that some people really don't care, perhaps not even have experienced how it can be better. That could actually be rather nice at times...

Post #588187 20th Mar 2021 7:54pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

The joy of a FFRR is knowing you’ve got a bucket load of power available if you want it, but most of the time you like to waft along with an engine that’s just ticking over. For me that means a big V8, but then I’m a technical ignoramus.

Post #588192 20th Mar 2021 8:12pm

United Kingdom 

KurtVerbose wrote:

Agree, 400hp is more than adequate for this car for most people most of the time. There are some who will need/want to drive like their trousers are on fire and have the roads to do it on and they will want the full 500+, but most won’t see any benefit.

It will be interesting to see what the engine line up for the L460 will be. There has to be a V8 option for it to compete with other brands but whether this will be the current 5.0 or the rumoured BMW V8 remains to be seen. It would be unusual for them to launch a new car with a new engine. They normally introduce a new engine in the old car first to prove it. Which makes me think they will soldier on with the 5.0 as the final V8 before going full electric plus maybe a plug in hybrid straight 6.

Post #588198 20th Mar 2021 9:03pm
KurtVerbose

Bl4ckD0g - maybe you should confine yourself to threads about blacking up range rovers, fitting big shiny wheels and driving through town with the windows down while playing god-awful music. That seems about the level of your contribution to this forum.

Post #588252 21st Mar 2021 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>