Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Does your 4.4 SDV8 sound like this?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Moleac

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey
Does your 4.4 SDV8 sound like this?

Hi everyone - first post on fullfatrr.com, however I've been on defender2.net for a couple of years now.

Long story short, I've made the move from a SDV6 RRS into a 2017 SDV8 FFRR. Really happy overall, but as to be expected, I have quite a few niggles to sort before the manufacturers warranty expires on 2nd May.

The issue concerning me most is the whirring noise the engine makes at around 2.5k rpm - sounds more like a vespa than a V8 Smile and just doesn't seem in keeping with the vehicle.

Can I ask whether other SDV8's out there make the same noise as in the video below (probably best to listen after I open the window at around 20 seconds in).

Appreciate you taking the time to listen and thanks in advance.

Andrew

Post #590454 6th Apr 2021 2:33pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Mine sounds nothing like that I’m afraid . Mines a few years older though. Not sure whether that would make any difference.

Post #590478 6th Apr 2021 5:05pm
Martin2

England 

No, I'm afraid that mine doesn't sound anything like that either. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #590486 6th Apr 2021 5:55pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

My 2017 4.4SDV8 sounds nothing like that, and neither did my 2012 4.4TDV8 Shocked Shocked

I think I'd be worried though, at least until it's been to an experienced LR mechanic for a diagnosis.

PS - welcome to the Full Fat club Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #590487 6th Apr 2021 6:09pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Not exactly the same, but my TDV8 doesn’t sound like that...

The dealership must have one.... can’t you park it near one and then do a back to back comparison? They won’t be able to say it’s normal... if theirs sounds different.... and might look at a claim for you?

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #590491 6th Apr 2021 6:21pm
AndyViking

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

My 2016 doesn’t sound like that either. Sorry but you may need to find a really good indie to fathom that noise out

Post #590496 6th Apr 2021 6:34pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

My 2016 MY doesn’t make a noise like that and if it did I’d be getting a tech to look at it. Something sounds wrong there

Post #590505 6th Apr 2021 7:08pm
Moleac

Thanks everyone. Really helpful feedback. And it looks like I do have a serious issue.

The car was at the main dealer today with the list of issues and I was getting ready to pre-empt the ‘they all do that sir’ conversation based on feedback here. However they were really thorough and came back with the following:

Quote:
Whining noise from engine- found high pressure fuel pump making a noise, during inspection found loose bolts instant gasket on left intake manifold. suggest while replacement of fuel pump to remove intake manifold to confirm no additional noise. This would not be warranty due to evidence of previous work in area.
at a cost of £4K.

I only purchased the car (from an independent dealer) on 16th March and I’m waiting to hear their proposal re next steps. but what I don’t understand is why the previous keeper wouldn’t have had any issues dealt with by Land Rover given that the car is still under manufacturers warranty.

I’m now seriously considering rejecting the car as it’s within 30 days of purchase.

Thanks again

Andrew

Post #590523 6th Apr 2021 8:51pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

As you say, odd why the original owner didn’t get any issues resolved via LR. I think you are possibly on the right track with rejection.

Walk away and find a different one without the issues, again why these weren’t resolved by the previous owner under warranty is anyone’s guess. You certainly don’t want a £4K bill! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #590526 6th Apr 2021 9:05pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Moleac wrote:
but what I don’t understand is why the previous keeper wouldn’t have had any issues dealt with by Land Rover given that the car is still under manufacturers warranty.

That's a very strange one. I'd ask for a complete print out of all warranty work carried out, just in case the loose bolts / instant gasket are actually from work done by another LR dealer (i.e. under warranty).

You could also ask for any information regarding to previous customer complaints about noises, etc.

The only other thing I can think of is that the original 3 year LR warranty ended, something then went wrong and was fixed by a generic garage, then the owner took out an extended warranty with LR? How does the LR warranty end date align to the car's date of first registration? Should be about the same day & month if there's never been any gap in cover.

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #590527 6th Apr 2021 9:18pm
Moleac

Thanks. Yes, it does all seem very odd. The manufacturer warranty doesn’t expire until 2nd May 2021 so no gap in cover and no logical reason for the previous keeper not using main dealer. Unless as you suggest it WAS carried out by a main dealer. And given the quality of repair carried out recently on my Defender it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility! And it does have FMDSH.

My other concern is all the unknowns and questions if the car hasn’t been well maintained. I’ve already had to have the Apple Car Play software update done. It also has the following issues raised today following my snag list:

Quote:
Knocking from o/s/f area. suspect to be front anti roll bar bushes worn.

Quote:
Throttle response slow due to turbo faults. checked fault codes and found bulletin LTB01087V4. requires VGT vane actuator kit, oil level sensor fly lead and harness protector.

Quote:
Secondary restraint system error (airbag warning light) -Unable to fault passenger seat wiring. fault code for drivers seat belt in RCM. checked live data for loose connection. unable to fault connector. requires new drivers seatbelt

Quote:
Transfer box whine- unable to hear whine but found SSM for transfer box vibration. requires tccm update and oil flush

What’s so frustrating is that I had it serviced by a main LR dealer prior to collecting the car and none of this was picked up.

Andrew

Post #590531 6th Apr 2021 9:56pm
AndyViking

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

With that list and the age of the car (to you) I would reject the car and find one without those issues.

Whilst you should expect a few minor niggles with any second hand car, your list seems to be far from minor. Let the dealer sort them all out at their own cost / time whilst you find a car you can enjoy from elsewhere.

I would ask yourself this - if this is what you can find in just a few days, what other horrors could lie in wait that you haven't yet found? That bodge on the gasket could hint at troubles much deeper in the engine - imagine what damage that instant gasket could have done if it leaked into the oil galleries / waterways...

Post #590553 7th Apr 2021 9:10am
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

If it can't be proved the previous repair was done by a LR main dealer, then I'd reject the car.

You've bought it in the belief it had a LR warranty, but that's turned out to be invalid for the one thing that's gone wrong already.

Rejecting the vehicle is even more straightforward right now, as you'll no doubt have purchased it under the "distance selling rules" due to Covid-19. Car dealerships are meant to be closed until 12th April 2021, but they are allowed to operate a fully sanitised 'click and collect' type service, which I assume you must have done? This makes the transaction fall underneath the distance selling rules and you may well have some paperwork descibing that from the purchase.

Whether you have such paperwork or not, providing you're quick, you can reject the vehicle for any reason whatsoever (within the first 14 days, some dealers offer 28 days). This covers just "changing your mind", let alone the mechanical defects and warranty situation you find yourself lumbered with.

Just noticed you've had the car now since 16th March, so you are outside of the 14 days, but you should still be able to reject the car given the issues.

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #590592 7th Apr 2021 2:44pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I’d say reject it too. You don’t need the hassle.

Ever time you hear a knock or a strange noise, you’ll be wondering about what caused it, or if it was related to previous issues etc etc.....

Get your money back.... continue your search.

You will now know when you drive one, that it should be much quieter.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #590594 7th Apr 2021 3:19pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Moleac wrote:
Thanks. Yes, it does all seem very odd. The manufacturer warranty doesn’t expire until 2nd May 2021 so no gap in cover and no logical reason for the previous keeper not using main dealer. Unless as you suggest it WAS carried out by a main dealer. And given the quality of repair carried out recently on my Defender it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility! And it does have FMDSH.

My other concern is all the unknowns and questions if the car hasn’t been well maintained. I’ve already had to have the Apple Car Play software update done. It also has the following issues raised today following my snag list:

Quote:
Knocking from o/s/f area. suspect to be front anti roll bar bushes worn.

Quote:
Throttle response slow due to turbo faults. checked fault codes and found bulletin LTB01087V4. requires VGT vane actuator kit, oil level sensor fly lead and harness protector.

Quote:
Secondary restraint system error (airbag warning light) -Unable to fault passenger seat wiring. fault code for drivers seat belt in RCM. checked live data for loose connection. unable to fault connector. requires new drivers seatbelt

Quote:
Transfer box whine- unable to hear whine but found SSM for transfer box vibration. requires tccm update and oil flush

What’s so frustrating is that I had it serviced by a main LR dealer prior to collecting the car and none of this was picked up.

Andrew

If it went into a main dealer and i presume you asked them to check it carefully having just purchased it why the hell did they not find these faults? I would be on to them also.

Post #591196 14th Apr 2021 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>