Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > Which to order discounted Mk4 L405 or MK5 L460 at full price
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Which to order discounted Mk4 L405 or MK5 L460 at full price

I'm looking to order a new Range Rover 5.0 SC AB LWB - I'm not really in a hurry so could wait, but I'm really struggling to decide what to do for the best, order a discounted L405, or wait for the L460?

I've manage to get a discount of 11.7% off a new car built to my exact specification (this includes a £4,500 finance deposit contribution, finance will be settled shortly after delivery).

So, the car I've spec'd lists at £122,645, I'll be paying £108,333, which I thought was OK - Please let me know if you've received significantly better percentage discount on a new order car? (not something which is already produced, which I know tend to provide higher percentage discounts).

So the dilemma is this, do I wait for the new L460, which will obviously have a much stronger residual, or balance this up with the discount currently being offered on the L405. I know all discounts will complete vanish on the L460, not to mention I expect a minimum 3% price increase will be applied to the L460 AB LWB.

So I suppose it's roughly a difference in cost of around 15% (or £18k) between the two cars.

The question is will anybody want to touch an L405 LWB if I try to move it on in 2 years time, once the new model is available. Will the loss be significantly greater, and ultimately, is this new model going to be a significantly improved car.

Please let me know what you would do?

I plan to make the decision on this tomorrow, so all help and thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated

Post #591578 18th Apr 2021 7:46am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Consider the L405 has been around for a while so it's known bugs sorted out, L460 will have loads of bugs that will need sorting. Me personally, I'd rather have the last of the old model off the line than the first of a new model, then again, I wouldn't dream of spending money like this on a car! BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #591579 18th Apr 2021 7:51am
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

In the grand scheme of things is the money actually the issue? Ask yourself what you want, what you’re going to enjoy most, not how much it will be worth in a few years. Life’s too short for that approach! Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #591580 18th Apr 2021 8:07am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

I am in the same ish quandary hence https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic58988.html
The deals are going to get better if anything leading up to the change so I am procrastinating, you may find if you delay a week the salesman comes back and sweetens the offer.
From a purely financial point of view over a 2 year period they probably will both depreciate by the same amount. The 460 should be better in most respects but will have more glitches. If the service departments were not so woeful on time, communication and loan cars then I would definitely have a 460 but if I pay for a new one and spend months in a Freelander.
First world problems. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #591582 18th Apr 2021 8:34am
aja500

bishbosh10 wrote:
In the grand scheme of things is the money actually the issue? Ask yourself what you want, what you’re going to enjoy most, not how much it will be worth in a few years. Life’s too short for that approach!

I do know what you mean Bish - I have actually been very fortunate and money isn't really an issue anymore, so perhaps I shouldn't worry.

However, that said, having grown up with very little and had times in my adult life whereby I've had to run to the bank to put some cash in to stop a Direct Debit bouncing, I never forget that. With this in mind, I can't help but be the type of person who always try to remember the value of money and minimise my losses.

Post #591583 18th Apr 2021 8:38am
aja500

Dixy wrote:
I am in the same ish quandary hence https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic58988.html
The deals are going to get better if anything leading up to the change so I am procrastinating, you may find if you delay a week the salesman comes back and sweetens the offer.
From a purely financial point of view over a 2 year period they probably will both depreciate by the same amount. The 460 should be better in most respects but will have more glitches. If the service departments were not so woeful on time, communication and loan cars then I would definitely have a 460 but if I pay for a new one and spend months in a Freelander.
First world problems.

Thanks Dixy, will look at your thread - How does my percentage discount compare to what you've been offered?

Post #591584 18th Apr 2021 8:40am
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Dixy and AJGalaxy are spot on. Reliability has to be a big part of your decision. Particularly if you and your wife and dogs are driving between Portugal and the UK regularly. The last thing you want is annoying faults en route or when you are in Portugal. For that reason, I’d suggest the L405 rather than L460.

Very best of luck with it. 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #591587 18th Apr 2021 8:49am
Kot

United Kingdom 

I agree with the comment having the last car from the L405 range, its what I would do.

You will of course in 3 Years time want to change that to the newer range and all the faults will be sorted.

Just before the Government, stop the build of all diesel cars. Watch then, that last year, how the prices rise as we all scramble for the last real; car ever built as a keeper. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #591588 18th Apr 2021 8:52am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Sounds like you and I have the same sort of backgrounds Aja when it comes to the ups and downs in life regarding money!!

I also had exactly the same quandary, albeit not as much money involved, but I decided to change my car now rather than wait for a new model.

I had pretty horrendous problems with the duo screen when I bought the brand new Facelift car in 2018 (took 26 months to sort!!), so I was wary of that happening again with the new model L406, hence why I have a new car arriving in May Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #591591 18th Apr 2021 9:01am
ur20v

A Trap 

You are likely out by a similar amount with either car, so get the one you want, these purchases are always a money (pit) gamble unless you buy a Porsche GT3 RS.

The advice on first of, last of it a good consideration. Spending 130k plus and then spending a good percentage of your first year(s) in a loan car while still making the same finance payments is hard to swallow.

Post #591597 18th Apr 2021 9:30am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Either way you will lose money.

I would say which to buy depends on your attitude to having the latest model. If it doesn’t bother you then go with the 405 with all the kinks ironed out, If you need to have the latest model and think you will sit in your new 405 wishing you had a 460 then buy a 460 and don’t let the depreciation worry you.

Either way it will be a nice car.

Personally for you I would get one of the new 5.0SC defenders which will be about the same money and the dogs will be comfier (plus it will probably depreciate less....) it’s not going to be an old model for a long time and you can spec it so it’s as comfy and has as much kit as a FF..... and it’s cooler..... much much cooler.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #591600 18th Apr 2021 9:49am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

All I can think of is, the reliability issue with a brand new model. After reading some woeful tales on this site of dealers taking forever to fix cars under warranty, then I would not want to be at a dealer with a new model, when they may not have a clue how to fix it. ( Yes I know some dealers are good, but others are useless. )

Whichever way you go, I hope you enjoy a trouble free experience. Thumbs Up

Post #591602 18th Apr 2021 10:14am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Both will be good, and 5.0 LWB cars will always be a rarity that has a limited market, so would maybe suffer higher depreciation whichever generation. But at your stage in life, I'd focus on what car I'd enjoy most, rather than which offers better value.

The 460 may have Bentayga style higher voltage damping (sorry if that is an inept way of expressing it) rather than standard air suspension, so may offer a different driving experience, at least on road. But then if you have dogs in the back (and LWB) you'll not be looking to throw it about. The other issue that would interest me is the engine. I like the Ford 5.0SC, but there are suggestions that the 460 will get a BMW 4.4 twin turbo unit. Of all the RRs I have had, the only one with engine problems was the BMW engined 4.4 petrol of 2004 (though it did last almost 100,00m miles with me). The BMW engine has not been perfect in other applications. Maybe there will be a transition period when the 460 has the Ford 5.0, as I think there is a tradition of not putting a new engine in a new body.

The other area where there seems great competition is on tech, I'm not knowledgeable about that, but maybe some research on a new Defender forum might give clues as to what to expect.

Ideally you would see what the 460 is like before making a decision, but maybe the problem with that would be that one could no longer build a 405 LWB 5.0 when the 460 is shown, and you are unlikely to find discounted pre-registered residual stock, never mind to your own spec.

As to alternatives, the D5 Commercial HSE maybe offers the best interior experience of a van, but it is not at RR level. The Defender 110 Hardtop only comes in diesel I think, and while I like the exterior, I'm afraid I find the interior finishes just don't offer the serenity and quality I would want. You'd really notice a difference, especially if used to the Cullinan, which is a step up from RR interior finish.

One of my friends has a dog trailer, but it would not be used for such long journeys, and while his dogs seem fine in it, maybe you want yours with you, and they will be more comfortable in the car, assuming they can get in and out easily enough. It is a bespoke item, made somewhere in N Ireland I think, but not for such large dogs.

The other question is what lead time is there for a LWB 460? At least with the 405 you know when you'll get it, and can discuss a seat out conversion with SVO or CTC immediately.

I hope you are happy whatever you decide. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #591606 18th Apr 2021 10:39am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

aja500 wrote:
Thanks Dixy, will look at your thread - How does my percentage discount compare to what you've been offered?

Figures were similar but what he offered for part ex was harsh. I am considering keeping the 405 which I love on the grounds that it less likely they will need work simultaneously. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #591607 18th Apr 2021 10:58am
aja500

Thank you all very much for the points which you have raised and shared, particularly CS for taking the time to write such an extensive response, while making some very good points, some of which I hadn't even considered.

Having previously had a Bentayga on loan for several days, if Land Rover do change the driving characteristics of the Range Rover to something similar to the Bentayg, I personally think that's a very bad thing for those of us who have loved the car for many years - To be honest, if I want a car to drive like a sports car, I'll buy one!

Thank you also to Chalky, tom v8, kot, ur20v, northern monkey jones, merchy and dixy, I will be taking your advice all of which seems to be pretty much along the same lines - I'll be ordering the current 5.0 AB LWB tomorrow.

Having previously owned a 2016 AB 4.4 V8 diesel in Ruffina Red, I've decided to go for the very similar Rossello Red with Ivory Leather and 22 inch 1046 11 spoke silver alloys (although I may revert back to the 20 inch wheels I still have in the garage, which although don't look the best, they do provide a lovely smooth ride).

Sadly, the cherry secondary leather and carpets I had in the last car are no longer available, but for me this is the next best thing.

Many thanks to all once again.

Best

Allister

Post #591671 18th Apr 2021 9:13pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>