Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Vibration when coasting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bessy645

United Kingdom 
Vibration when coasting

Motorway speeds 70 mph take the foot off the accelerator on a long downhill section M65 Vibration through the steering wheel.. No issues when accelerating hard or gentle just when coasting. sure its not the tyres as all other speeds conditions ok. Just when coasting. Gearbox? Torque convertor?

Thoughts?

Post #592690 29th Apr 2021 2:31pm
marcochezzi

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

I have exactly the same on mine, you can clearly feel a vibration and hear a droning sound on deceleration, I have placed the gearbox into neutral at speed on occasion to allow for engine idle on coasting to see if it is a gearbox / motor related issued, and the drone + vibration continues, no audible / physical difference based on engine speed at the exact moment.. Below 70mph and she returns to being a quiet and smooth as one would expect, literally goes from full drone to dead smooth instantaneously..

So in my case its not gearbox related.

Rear diff has been replaced by JLR with brand new, same drone..
Rear propshaft has been replaced by JLR with brand new - same drone..
Transfercase has been replaced by JLR with brand new - same drone..

Last comment from JLR - "this noise is standard, accept it..!!" which makes me ask why they changed all the above, at their cost, if this is all 'normal'

I am running the 22" turbines, Continental cross contact LX sport 275-40-22

2014 5.0SC, approx 41K miles..

I absolutely hate the drone, drives me mad, tyres will need replacing soon so I am hoping that resolves the issue, however I am dead afraid it might be front diff related as she is now out of motorplan..

I vaguely remember reading the 22" turbines being noisy / causing noise, but that's a long lost memory and I do not know if it would apply in this regard..

Good luck, I too am desperate for a solution..

Post #593242 5th May 2021 12:20pm
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
Re: Vibration when coasting

Does the noise go away when you touch the brakes, or does the steering vibrate more? And when you say vibrate is it shaking from side to side a little or just a high frequency vibrate?

I had a new Audi A6 once that used to create resonance at certain speeds....it was faint but I knew it was there and it drove me mad. Audi were sure it was the gearbox so they swapped it out (they get paid for warranty work so why not), but that did not cure the problem. Turns out the new aluminium chassis is really good at amplifying any road imperfections, and the noise was the tyre drone resonating through the chassis. I found this out when I change for winter tyres later that year and the noise went completely. 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Last edited by JamesD on 5th May 2021 4:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #593264 5th May 2021 2:26pm
marcochezzi

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

James, interesting read, thank you, I know your question is directed at Bessy645 so please forgive the hijack, in my case the wheel does not wobble, simply vibrates, or buzzes faintly, its more noise than feel.

Applying brakes changes nothing, simply the drone stops all by itself under 125kph / 70mph.

Interestingly, the drone stops on acceleration when passing 145kph, give or take..

I'm starting to think resonance on my fattie is the culprit, will be interesting to see what gives with a change of tyres in the not too distant future..

Post #593268 5th May 2021 2:59pm
Red Hot one

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I had a droning sound at 60 MPH, turned out to be the air filter box was not seated properly, took a bit of working out.

Post #593287 5th May 2021 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1