Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > P400e not defaulting to electric mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikef

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
P400e not defaulting to electric mode

I took my Vogue SE P400e for a 1500 mile round trip to Scotland last week. For various reasons I wasnt able to charge the car at all during the trip so pretty much all of the mileage was done with the petrol engine only. When I got home on Saturday I plugged the car into my wall charger and recharged the battery to max overnight.

However since Sunday on every trip I've done, the car has refused to default to electric mode. The petrol engine starts immediately I turn the ignition on and stays running until the end of the trip. I have tried pressing the EV button but even then the car does not default to electric mode; all that happens is that the power from the petrol engine is massively reduced. In fact it wont rev past 3000rpm. The batteries and electric motor are still operating because I can see them providing extra shove to the petrol engine under acceleration from the EV display; it is just that the car never defaults to EV mode only as it did prior to my trip. Effectively the car is behaving like a mild hybrid

Before I contact my dealer, has anyone got any ideas?

Post #595318 25th May 2021 4:01pm
cedzz

United Kingdom 

I have a RRS P400e, so system likely to be similar.
On Thursday I found the car was not connecting itself to the internet, as I was due to drive to the Lakes on Sunday I wanted travel updates etc so contacted LR assistance, who came very quickly but found no fault. Friday it seemed to have corrected itself and I did a couple of short trips, which seemed to use very little battery, the LR app records 0 on EV, on Sunday I drove about 400 miles, starting with a full battery, I was confused by the battery hardly going down, I am 30 miles from the motorway and it should have been empty by then, but lasted about 250 miles. Again the LR app shows the whole journey as 0 on EV. I have never had this problem before.
Was there an over the air update recently?

Post #595326 25th May 2021 4:40pm
mikef

Thats v interesting because I think there was an update recently. Also my LR app was telling me it couldnt connect to the car when I returned from Scotland. In fact I deleted the app and downloaded it again after which it started working

Question re the LR Remote apps. There seem to be 2 now. Whats the difference?

Post #595327 25th May 2021 4:46pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

The latest one is a white background to the LR logo and then green below it with "Remote" on it.

The older one I got used to with my old car, but basically they both do the same thing with the same info. The new one is a bit "cleaner" and the journey detail is also very clear Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #595332 25th May 2021 5:49pm
mikef

Called out L-R Assistance this morning who found no fault codes with their diagnostic tool but the engineer did reboot the whole system (thats how he described it) and now I appear to have an electric motor again

Just out of interest why are L-R Assistance technicians so much more helpful, prompt, courteous and efficient than L-R dealer staff? This is the 3rd time I've had to call for their services in 2yrs and its so much more pleasant to deal with L-R assistance than my local dealer

Post #595396 26th May 2021 3:29pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Because they're the AA in disguise, most of them are ex JLR tech's, but you're right, they're helpful and courteous.

Post #595397 26th May 2021 3:38pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

My latest dealer (Dick Lovett) has been great. Must say though the others (after a promising start) have been at best average. I use an ex LR main dealer as an accredited servicing provider and they are excellent, so it isn't all bad! Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984

Post #595400 26th May 2021 4:07pm
mikef

Wish I could say the same about Lookers in Aston Clinton. Getting them even to answer the phone is a problem and then there is usually many weeks waiting time for a service appt

Post #595402 26th May 2021 4:10pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Chalky wrote:
My latest dealer (Dick Lovett) has been great. Must say though the others (after a promising start) have been at best average. I use an ex LR main dealer as an accredited servicing provider and they are excellent, so it isn't all bad! Thumbs Up

Would that be MJ Fews Chalky?

Post #595405 26th May 2021 4:27pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

It certainly is AM.

I bought quite a few cars from them over the years when they were main dealers and I knew Mike Fews well. His son runs it now.

Pete Herbert who ran it for Mike sadly died in 2019, but the place is a beacon for how things should be done. They refused to invest the sort of money LR wanted them to, so they got out and are now Izuzu dealers. They have retained the LR servicing franchise though, and bloody good they are too. They also sell a lot of used LR's Thumbs Up

As I said earlier Dick Lovett are very good too.....both businesses family owned. Probably got a lot to do with it!! All LR cars from 1984

Post #595409 26th May 2021 4:42pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

You can tell a lot about a dealership when you drive in. Last time I went in, there was a Defender V8 special edition all the way up to the latest Range Rover and everything in between. I bought my L320 Sport TDV8 from them, really nice people to deal with. Vaguely remember Steve Fews being into Moto Cross bikes.

Thumbs Up

Post #595413 26th May 2021 5:09pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Yes Steve does MotoX.

My good pal Mike Church has a track here at Marshfield and of course won many accolades at MotoX and Scrambling, as did his son Tom. Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984

Post #595414 26th May 2021 5:18pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Quote:
The petrol engine starts immediately I turn the ignition on and stays running until the end of the trip. I have tried pressing the EV button but even then the car does not default to electric mode; all that happens is that the power from the petrol engine is massively reduced. In fact it wont rev past 3000rpm. The batteries and electric motor are still operating because I can see them providing extra shove to the petrol engine under acceleration from the EV display; it is just that the car never defaults to EV mode only as it did prior to my trip. Effectively the car is behaving like a mild hybrid

I had this too a few times. Once, when it was very cold and with zero HV battery, all sorts of error messages started to appear, so I stopped and called the dealer. They suggested I find a charger and charge at least up to 10%, as they said the (alternator) charging prioritizes the HV battery and I could find myself with the 12V one dead! As for not engaging electric mode, there are days when it refuses to reverse to EV after a longer petrol drive, sometimes after a hard acceleration, though I must say, after the 21A update, there seem to be fewer of those. Usually it sorts itself after a few minutes and almost always after a 5 minutes pause (doors locked).
One thing I always do before a longer drive, is choose Save in the EV menu (it would be cool if the EV button would do that, with a long press, for instance). 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #595450 27th May 2021 6:31am
ilard

United Kingdom 

I have never had this issue. But I have only covered 6000 miles from new, so may not have 'fully tested it', as it were. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #595477 27th May 2021 11:44am
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Chalky wrote:
Yes Steve does MotoX.

My good pal Mike Church has a track here at Marshfield and of course won many accolades at MotoX and Scrambling, as did his son Tom. Thumbs Up

Small world, my Dad used to run a Kawasaki MotoX team from the 80's to early 00's and had a few battles with MJ Church Kawasaki Smile 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #595495 27th May 2021 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1