Home > Technical (L322) > Front end lowering over night
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tomc

Northern Ireland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Barolo Black
Front end lowering over night

Hi all,
I have searched but cant find the exact same fault. I have noticed when i go to the car after it has been sitting for a period of time it has dropped slightly on front only. I have no codes of faults showing so i expect a leak somewhere supplying the front section only. Any ideas where to start the search?
Thanks,
Tom

Post #594101 13th May 2021 10:02am
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

probably one of the air bags, slowly releasing air out of the front circuit.

Post #594107 13th May 2021 10:34am
mattgage

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Put it in off road (high) mode and spray soapy water around the clean suspension air bag using a plant sprayer, and see if bubbles form from a leak. Sometimes you can actually hear it leaking - but yours is obviously coming out slowly. It often perishes at the fold where it regularly sits in standard height mode. I vary how it sits between the three height setting to try and equalise this. If it's not the bags it could be the airlines or valve block. Best to get it sorted as leaks will overstrain the compressor then you have two things to rectify. Good luck.

Post #594116 13th May 2021 11:30am
Tomc

Thank you both for your help. I have checked and have and noticed a leak on the drivers side air bag while in off road height. Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy a new one at a decent price. Mine is the constant damping type.
Thanks again, Tom

Post #594180 13th May 2021 9:40pm
Sam

England 

Probably just best off buying a new pair of front legs Tom, that's what I did on mine and from memory I think they were only about £250 or thereabouts. Just be prepared though, it's quite a hefty job and you will get a bit of a sweat on, not least undoing the two big pinch nuts and bolts at the bottom of the legs. You may also need to replace these as they're FT, have been sitting undisturbed for years, and probably have a degree of corrosion on them meaning when you do finally loosen them off, it can damage the threads. While you're at it, you may as well put a couple of ride height sensors on the front too as these tend to be quite troublesome once they're past a certain vintage. They're inexpensive and only take five minutes to replace.

Post #594210 14th May 2021 9:36am
Snowy90 L322

I did mine a few years back. And agree do them in a pair unless one has recently been replaced.

I'm sure someone else will have a view but generally the shocks are ok, so unless you see any sign of leakage or wear you can just replace the bag only island 4x4 have them at £125 plus VAt. Its more fiddly than replacing the whole strut in one go as you have several black and orange seals just take photo's so you know which way they go when putting back together.

To be honest if you can get the whole strut for under £250.00 then probably save yourself a headache and just replace the whole unit.

Also worth doing is the anti roll bar drop links which have to be removed anyway so almost certainly warn out and cheap to replace.

Its a hefty job as said before but so long as you have a bit of time, its not too bad.

Post #594229 14th May 2021 12:09pm
Snowy90 L322

mattgage wrote:
Put it in off road (high) mode and spray soapy water around the clean suspension air bag using a plant sprayer, and see if bubbles form from a leak. Sometimes you can actually hear it leaking - but yours is obviously coming out slowly. It often perishes at the fold where it regularly sits in standard height mode. I vary how it sits between the three height setting to try and equalise this. If it's not the bags it could be the airlines or valve block. Best to get it sorted as leaks will overstrain the compressor then you have two things to rectify. Good luck.

Just a note of caution, i did this when i had a leak, put it in inspection mode. Just don't go under the car! My bag exploded fortunately i was just looking under the sill but it sure does come down fast. I guess my bag was close to completely failing but to be honest on just a visual inspection it looked fine, even when off the place it blew was tiny.

Post #594230 14th May 2021 12:14pm
Tomc

Thank you all for your help and advice.
I have just ordered new air shock (after I came to after hearing price) £540 each !! Big Cry
I'll wait on the other side failing I think.
Thanks again.
Tom

Post #594234 14th May 2021 12:53pm
Sam

England 

Start now then with plenty of penetrating fluid on the bottom pinch bolts.....

Post #594237 14th May 2021 1:29pm
Tomc

UPDATE
was in fact a leak in air bag. New strut fitted and now works perfectly.........for now! Laughing

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Post #596949 9th Jun 2021 3:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1