Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Greed on the rise.......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CUE99T

Scotland 
Greed on the rise.......

Called around trying to buy a car last 3 days.......greed is an understatement....and the best of it is, they aren't even shy about it!!! all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #597799 17th Jun 2021 11:52am
GB78

England 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Santorini Black

Much like the current rise in property prices, it will pop at the wrong time for some. Dealers are giving circa £4-5k over book just to have stock. Will we see a sudden correction, or a gradual depreciation I wonder.

Post #597821 17th Jun 2021 3:10pm
gettingold

United Kingdom 

There was a piece on the beeb yesterday about it. Car dealer saying he’s had calls of over the purchase price (if somebody has already put a deposit down) offers to make sure it’s goes to them. Car gazumping, it’s now a thing. visiting from www.rrsport.co.uk

Post #597827 17th Jun 2021 4:32pm
kungfupanda

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Mariana Black

The dealer I bought my L405 from this week was quite generous with the trade in value of my Audi S6 so it kind of works both ways.

Post #597834 17th Jun 2021 5:53pm
recordman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

This guy is asking why he can't sell a 3 litre petrol for £66k

2017 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #597838 17th Jun 2021 6:20pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

kungfupanda wrote:
The dealer I bought my L405 from this week was quite generous with the trade in value of my Audi S6 so it kind of works both ways.

I have no trade in, and tbh I think I prepped my sale well and spent money on my car before selling it, but the cars are over priced and a single years warranty.....feel like I'm begging to buy it when they dont even bother calling you back after speaking to them asking if they can put a deal around a car you'll give them a deposit.

Tbh all its made me do is now look at other brands and other models in the FFRR range so widens the scope a bit.

Hope to try and get soemthing soon or its another week or hire car!! lol all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #597846 17th Jun 2021 7:25pm
forever

United Kingdom 

Its not greed just free market economics, as another poster has said they have a got a better price on their trade in...
Maybe you sold yours to the market too cheaply Shocked

Post #597888 18th Jun 2021 8:52am
CUE99T

Scotland 

Its called free furlough money mate! all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #597890 18th Jun 2021 9:00am
CUE99T

Scotland 

forever wrote:
Its not greed just free market economics, as another poster has said they have a got a better price on their trade in...
Maybe you sold yours to the market too cheaply Shocked

The words greed actually came from a salesman.......one that was at least being honest.... all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #597891 18th Jun 2021 9:04am
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Just be glad we don't live in the US where dealers can advertise new cars over MSRP citing market adjustment! 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #597906 18th Jun 2021 10:18am
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Most makes and models of cars are a,so selling at auction for way over their book prices.

Jim

Post #597942 18th Jun 2021 5:51pm
marsie

England 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

A customer of mine came in today and told me last week he was due to pick a 6 month old transporter up after viewing and leaving a deposit the week before. Dealer rang him on collection morning to say he had refunded his deposit and sold the van to someone else Shocked Paul

2014 Range Rover vogue se 4.4sdv8 Loire Blue
1992 Range Rover Vogue LSE 4.2 Ardennes green

Post #597954 18th Jun 2021 8:06pm
MonkeyMan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

It’s not greed, it’s a realisation of the current market situation.

The company I work for makes cables and A/V accessories. Small, relatively light, easy to transport. Factory costs are killing us right now, metal and PVC are up 30% or more. Factories in China are so busy they are being forced to shut down for weeks at a time to reduce pollution. Container shipping costs are up at least 200% on 2019, 500% for some destinations. Chipset lead times have increased from 8 weeks to 52 weeks, and then it’s a bidding war to get stock.

Latest story is that pallets are doubling in cost. There is a building boom in the US that is taking up all the worlds spare softwood supply, so lumber prices there are up 500% in some cases.

None of these costs or lead times will reduce until late 2022 at least - that’s not my personal opinion, it’s one shared by every major manufacturer, shipper and bank.

All that means that if you have something in stock now, in this country, it would cost up to 50% more to make the same thing again brand new today, and if you can make it, there is a long wait and demand outstrips supply. So why would any other industry that makes finished goods from raw materials be any different. Perhaps whilst car margins aren’t huge, there is a lot of cost tied up in labour and advertising, so perhaps the impact of raw material increases is only 10-20%.

It’s not greed, it’s reality. Anything that’s already paid for in the supply chain has massive demand, even at an increased price. There are no cheap replacements on the horizon, so any dealer who isn’t adjusting prices to recognise the correct reality is not really embracing the free market capitalist economy.
They might not have any stock to sell in 3 months time, but they will still have bills, and all their COVID loans and costs still to pay off.

This is the real cost of Covid. Our individual purchasing power has been reduced by around 10% in some areas. I say that’s worth it as the cost of still. Ring alive and not watching some sort of virus apocalypse.

I bought my L405 at the end of March, before dealerships properly reopened. It’s probably worth 10-15% more than I paid for it, although that’s irrelevant as any replacement would also cost more. It’s like house prices in that regard, it doesn’t matter how much prices go up or down, all that matters is what it costs you to change from what you have to what you want.

Post #597957 18th Jun 2021 8:28pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

MonkeyMan, I don't mind the pricing if they are buying at a higher price, thats supply and demand and thats ok but a car thats been on the forecourt for 3 weeks that isn't flying out the door, but I have to call twice to ask to buy it, isn't exactly "the norm" I feel.....I asked for a deal....and it took the sister dealership asking for the car to be transferred to them for them to even call me back......

Now.....the rub for me is that it gave me 2 days to think about other options.....luckily I've got a pre-reg D350 to see Sunday from somewhere local so I'll see how that fairs as the sales guy has been great so far.....which incidentally is the same treatment I got buying a Porsche for the wife last week and that car was strong money but the sales guy, was polite, helpful and most of all ... just honest but not in a "take it or leave it" way..... manners cost nothing....and COVID has just made that worse! But called 2 other Porsche dealers and the friendliness just wasn't there and tbh just not that engaging.

Maybe I expect too much....who knows but money doesnt come easy when you have to make it yourself as you know and as a customer I'd like to enjoy the experience ...... I used to enjoy buying cars.....kinda don't so much anymore. all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #597968 18th Jun 2021 10:27pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I've never enjoyed buying cars - so I tend to just keep them for a long time.

I don't really see it as free either though - just market forces. Sometimes the market tanks & dealers lose money on stock, sometimes things firm up - rising prices is more unusual, but it's just supply & demand - free markets at work

Post #597978 19th Jun 2021 6:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>