Home > General > Real running costs 3.6 TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wanderer83

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red
Real running costs 3.6 TDV8

Hello,

I am looking to buy an 06-09 TDV8 with c.100k miles on the clock and wondering what kind of real running costs owners with these kind of model years and mileages are seeing (ex fuel of course).

My thinking is that the price of these cars has gone up a lot recently, but if the running costs of these really are thousands per year (as my casual searching has shown), when Covid goes away and the lockdown buyer suddenly has many more demands on their money again (going out, Holidays whatever else) in addition then in October we see the expansion of the ultra low emission zone, we could see a lot of these cars hit the market at the same time - driving the price down. I suppose this is just another crystal ball question on car prices really. For what it's worth my intention is to buy one and then run it into the ground so I don't care what my resale value is - I just don't want to be buying at the top of the market!

Post #602457 1st Aug 2021 8:38am
darrenm

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It’s look of the draw I have had my 2010 3.6 for 6 years and so far so good with only serviceable parts needing replacing ( bush’s and suspension track control arms and tires where my wife’s 4.4 2012 has cost me £4500 over the same time on repairs / dpf / oil cooler leaks other things

Post #602461 1st Aug 2021 9:49am
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Thing you gotta remember is mate everyone comes on to the forums for when the cars break down. No one comes on here n says hi all I need some advice on my range rover that's running with no issues...

Go for what you feel is the best option

Post #602463 1st Aug 2021 10:44am
Chapeau! Velo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

It really depends on which end of the market you buy in! You need to be prepared for ongoing maintenance but the overall cost depends on your cars start purchase price (which needs to be a factor). Noting how long the 3.6 has been around now, even a well looked after one could still generate some big bills so you may be best off buying a used (but not abused) mid 100k mileage one for a reasonable price and just be prepared to pay for the ongoing, out of service, maintenance. This could be anything from £500 upwards per year.

As a guide, mine has averaged £1200 in out of service maintenance over the last couple of years (but that was with some big jobs). I’m now in year three and over the hump so the average is coming down rapidly.

Post #604606 23rd Aug 2021 7:38pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

The big bill that's coming with a TDV8 which is into a six figure mileage is the replacement of the turbos. Budget £5k for that, because it's going to happen, even with a well serviced motor. Shocked The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #604616 23rd Aug 2021 9:18pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It depends on your initial budget.

Personally I agree with the OP I think the market is very strong at the moment, and the OP would be buying pretty much at the top of the market. But either way, budget 1-2k per year in maintenance and you should be in the general ball park to fix a reasonably well looked after one. It also depends on how handy with spanner’s you are. if you can tackle decent jobs yourself then the running costs will come down significantly. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #604631 24th Aug 2021 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1