Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Two stroke in diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Landphil

United Kingdom 

The argument as to the efficacy of adding 2T began when a German engineer working for a well known German car manufacturer posted how the Company added 2T at a ratio of 200:1 when they took their cars to countries with questionable fuel standards. She (yes she) couldn’t name the company for legal reasons and her own protection but went on to say how German taxi drivers had been doing it for years. There’s a clue there.

Those against, and of course they have a right to believe it wrong, love the phrase “snake oil” but never back it up with evidence. They use modifiers like possibly, might or maybe you will damage your engine, but never offer evidence.
There is no proof, but there is very significant evidence that it will do no harm and those who use it see benefits.

As I posted before, I have been doing it for years and believe in it. I do not believe it will improve MPG but it certainly reduces diesel clatter, and not because of reduced cetain. It also helps to maintain a cleaner engine. For example my MAP sensor, like most, was covered in thick tarry gunk, but after cleaning and using 2T for 6 months it was fairly clean.

But the golden rule applies, if you like it do it. If you don’t then don’t use it, but if you are going to say it damages the engine then post some evidence.

Post #603914 16th Aug 2021 1:52pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Deleted .

Last edited by ur20v on 4th Oct 2021 8:12am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #603920 16th Aug 2021 2:33pm
jackcramerr

Reminds me of the time some one told me that when I fill up the tank with diesel put a litre of petrol in there and the engine will purr with better mpg and it will clean the piston heads......

You have no clue how much engineering goes into designing of an engine and how many hours are spent in testing them for optimum performance.

If your back yard engineering can beat multi million pound worth of research .... you are a genius.

Post #603921 16th Aug 2021 2:34pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Deleted

Last edited by ur20v on 4th Oct 2021 8:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #603923 16th Aug 2021 2:51pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

jackcramerr wrote:
Reminds me of the time some one told me that when I fill up the tank with diesel put a litre of petrol in there and the engine will purr with better mpg and it will clean the piston heads......

You have no clue how much engineering goes into designing of an engine and how many hours are spent in testing them for optimum performance.

If your back yard engineering can beat multi million pound worth of research .... you are a genius.

I don’t know how old you are but a little petrol was added to diesel in the winter months when diesel tended to turn to jelly in the cold. I certainly remember that in the 70s. Now we have winter diesel.
As for my experience, I have years and thousands of miles of very good reliable motoring using 2T in all my diesels, but as I have said put up the evidence that I am wrong.

Post #603934 16th Aug 2021 4:21pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There’s no evidence that the COVID vaccine doesn’t contain tracking devices so that Bill Gates can control the world either.

Everyone is free to believe whatever they want to read off the internet. We all make our own decisions about what is safe to put into our bodies - or fuel tanks Very Happy

Post #603935 16th Aug 2021 4:43pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Here's an interesting read-- beware its very long lol its about fuel additives

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/1455...DACTED.pdf 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #603936 16th Aug 2021 5:00pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

In terms of my sprinter which I had from new, I tried the 2 stroke oil and it made a huge difference to the sound and smoothness of the engine. You say it's because of the slower burn, I'm not convinced of that because the performance didnt suffer. From 100,000 miles to 350,000+ when I sold I ran it on home made bio diesel using a bio buddy. The 2 stroke oil with this made a difference but not so dramatic, then engine did run sweet as a nut all of it's life and is still going strong.
Lots of things I don't buy into with firm evidence eg premium fuels, the 2st I did measure the performance difference and there wasn't any only my MK 1 ears which showed quieter and smoother running. i did try doing a few tankful's without the 2st and my partner noticed immediately when I added the 2st again. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #603944 16th Aug 2021 7:03pm
Treebor99

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

jackcramerr wrote:

Laughing Laughing
I find this subject facinating, I've said before I work for Cummins who make a wide variety of diesel and gas engines of many sizes.
I totally agree with jackcrammerr- The guys that understand the chemical thermal reaction taking place inside the engine and have the knowledge to tweak that to get as perfect a combustion as they possibly can whilst balancing emissions, power and fuel economy are in my opinion exceptionally clever people.
I asked them, they said snake oil! probably won't do any long term harm, extra lubrication is doubtful - our piston rings are designed to provide optimum upper cyl lubrication already, we would need to do tests to see if it soots up DPF any quicker - the DPF can probably cope.

At 200:1 it's probably just getting burnt, it will be raising the hydrocarbons in the exhaust but would need to test (lol engineers always want the data) again aftertreatment probably copes with that too.
Then I asked if they would add it to theirs - No - not without data to prove it has benefit - which they seriously doubt.

jackcrammerr - you did make me smile "you are a genius" Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough (and have deep pockets|)
Current cars, 2011 FF 4.4 TVD8; Audit TT 1.8T convertible.

Post #604079 18th Aug 2021 12:45pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

This threads has got me thinking that I’ll use this again:

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/diesel-power-ecomax/

Thumbs Up

Post #604090 18th Aug 2021 2:30pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Deleted

Last edited by ur20v on 4th Oct 2021 8:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #604105 18th Aug 2021 4:47pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

But all additives are the same, lots swear by dr tranny shudder fix Whistle

Post #604118 18th Aug 2021 6:12pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Aren't Embarassed

Post #604119 18th Aug 2021 6:12pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

ur20v wrote:
My question if this additive increases power and noise but more importantly reduces emissions at the same time the fuel manufacturers would add it themselves to the fuel stock and or the vehicle manufacturers would demand it to help meet emissions and performance requirements 🤷

I don’t like anecdotal evidence, performance and emissions should be easily to prove by empirical data from a rolling road and on road measurements of noise, emissions, power output and on road performance, combustion data like knock, flame speed and temperature etc and just leave out the ‘it seems’ or ‘or it feels’., just measure it 👍

The world of additives stinks of snake oil, very few have been independently proven to do anything other than relieve you of money.

In the case of the Millers additive, linked in my previous post, the fuel companies do add additives to all fuel. When they increase the octane/cetane levels they sell it as a “super” fuel.

I like to think of the Millers additive as making my own V-Power, as I pretty much only use Shell diesel anyway.

Last edited by LT on 18th Aug 2021 8:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #604128 18th Aug 2021 7:16pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

jackcramerr wrote:

Just remember, the Titanic was built by experts, the Ark by amateurs LOL

You are absolutely right, the combustion process is highly complicated and maybe we shouldnt mess around.

I had dire warnings about making my own Bio Diesel and running the Sprinter, everything from the injector wont last to blown pistons etc. 250,000 miles were done on Bio Diesel at around 17p per litre. The engine never missed a beat so either the experts were wrong or I was lucky, maybe a bit of both. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #604134 18th Aug 2021 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>