Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Crazy newbie. Sight unseen with inactive suspension 4.2 SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
conor

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

... Oh and I also discovered that there is no hitch with the car, which is a little disappointing.

I guess today was a little disappointing given the prospect that I need to source a hitch and also possibly 3 new PDC sensors.

Anybody know if the sensors can be saved via ultrasonic cleaning etc?

I will be inspecting the loom first though.

Post #611966 8th Nov 2021 1:30am
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I'll stick money on the temp being air locked. Mine done the same when I bought it, drove it 200 meters and it was in the thr red. Logic says a car won't get to 130° from cold in 200 meters. Just bear in mind these can be an absolute pig of a job too bleed up. It's also worth checking that the fan is engaging. Genuine thermostat only cost me £40 but I also done the pump and belts as they wasn't too much extra work. Bleed it up with water first and see if you can get the temperature stable. I know a lot of people will argue this but its cheaper then using coolant and loosing it. Once your satisfied its holding temp, you MUST empty it and do the process with the correct coolant.

Battery

Go and get your battery tested too see what the score is with that. Soon as the battery I'd on thr blink these cars don't like it and have a hiss fit. My blue v8 had an issue with these so get the bumper off, disconnect the main loom, get the connectors cleaned up and spray some electrical contact cleaner on it. Once you done this do thr same to each sensor

Good luck

Allen

Post #611968 8th Nov 2021 5:09am
conor

That's great advice, thanks Allen.

I'll have a look around and see what is required to bleed the system. Makes sense alright that there could be an air lock, especially given the bubbling.

Good shout on the battery. The car sat for about 12 months so not sure if that has messed it up or not. I'll pull it out and get it tests and recondition etc.

I'll have a play with the parking bits down the line, I will want to get the bumper off now anyway, as paint tape lines pi$$ me off no end.

Oh and, I just noticed that there were no PDC errors on the GAP IID report, I wonder why that was.

Post #612002 8th Nov 2021 10:39am
Bean19844

It's pretty much same as any car with the bleed procedure. You have a nipple on the coolant tank you have too undo and wait until it comes out as a continous flow. I done mine over a few days.

Find a few bricks and park the front wheels on them so the front is higher. Chuck some water in and fill it too the top and let it go down. Keep doing this as the air will naturally try to go to the highest point. Once you've done this a few times, start the car up and see if the water drops instantly, I'd it does just add some more water and run it for 10 mins. Let it cool down and check the water level again and see where your at with the cap off. Once you've done this a few times, you should have sufficient water in the system then it's a case of getting it pressured up. Once you've done this and it's holding pressure you should be able to drive it around the block a few times so you can see what the deal is with the temp needle spiking. By now it should start to slowly rise, if that's the case and it remains at the same level after its cooled down. Do it again to make sure, after the 2nd time assuming it stays the same, drop the water and refill with coolant.

Given its had a flat battery for a year, I'd guess its the battery not firing on all cylinders. If you've got a Halfords trade card you can get a yuasa hb020 battery for a nice healthy £100. It's a tight squeeze getting it in and you'll need the bonnet in access mode as well as removing the front air intake on the top with two 13mm bolts but it fits and does the job nicely

Post #612008 8th Nov 2021 11:48am
conor

Thanks @Bean19844

When you say it's a pig, what's so bad?

Remind me again, why are we using water first time around? Is it in case of a leak somewhere, not to waste coolant?

When go for it second time with coolant, am I supposed to completely drain the system first then go through the bleed process as before?

I don't know why I find this so confusing in my head.. I mean I can follow simple steps, but I think (me being me). I need to understand how the whole system works and flow and the effects of the valves, cooling etc before going at it.

Why do some people talk about compressed air? I remember a mechanic told me that he flushes using compressed air?

Post #612476 12th Nov 2021 11:36pm
Bean19844

I do it with water the first time mate so you can make sure there's no leaks from any of your pipes as the coolant can get expensive. My old v8 took 8 litres but as it had a leak at the back I kept loosing the coolant and money so done it with water, found where the leak was and addressed that then refilled it with coolant

Post #612479 13th Nov 2021 1:14am
conor

Quick project update..

I moved my Landy indoors for a while. It's a temporary spot i've been able to secure to save me from working out in the elements to get this thing driving.. I didn't get a pic, but did snap this video Smile

Did really do a huge amount to it other than pour in a little brake fluid to see if I could identify the leak(s). To my surprise, the system didn't take much fluid at all.. strange I though.

Anyway, I proceeded to pump the pedal. Felt a bit harder. After looking under, I found the following puddle directly under where the Master Cylinder is.. and the fluid level was still reasonably high.

Looks like MC is broken some how. Either just plain broken, perished seal or loose nut. I need another set of hands feet to pump while I look to see where it's coming from....

On the other hand... from typing this, I have just realised that I don't think I put the cap back on.. so maybe the fluid just cap out the top. Silly me.. Still odd that not much fluid was needed.

Post #616483 15th Dec 2021 1:10pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

🤣🤣🤣

ROFLMAO I think most of us have been there Wink I most definitely have done that.

Post #616485 15th Dec 2021 1:23pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Most of those look pretty explainable, although the airbag fault does worry me slightly.
The brake pipes are notorious for corroding and leaking. You can either buy pre-formed from LR or use copper and do the bends yourself. This will help with the rears as they run over the top of the rear diff etc.

The brake master cylinder seal has a habit of drying out, so you’d be best to replace that as well.

Good luck Mr Bond Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #616489 15th Dec 2021 1:55pm
conor

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
🤣🤣🤣

ROFLMAO I think most of us have been there Wink I most definitely have done that.

We have... in fact. I was at this again last evening with a buddy. Turns out the brake line for the wheel by MC is leaking, not the actual MC, nor was it overflowing out the lid.

I'll be getting the car up soon for a good look and inspect all the lines. The car sat for for 12-14 months, so that leak is unlikely to be the only one, especially because it is so close to the MC.

Quote:
Most of those look pretty explainable, although the airbag fault does worry me slightly.
The brake pipes are notorious for corroding and leaking. You can either buy pre-formed from LR or use copper and do the bends yourself. This will help with the rears as they run over the top of the rear diff etc.

The brake master cylinder seal has a habit of drying out, so you’d be best to replace that as well.

Yea they aren't bad really. The Airbag one is likely because the passenger door module has been removed, along with everything else on that door, for a repair prior to my acquisition. My thoughts were i'd just put it all back and clear the codes. See what happens after that.[/quote]

Post #616637 16th Dec 2021 2:40pm
Bean19844

Get yourself a gap iid tool mate. I had an airbag on my 4.4 for about 6 months. Didn't realise it was only on because the battery wasn't being fully charged as the alternator was faulty. That gave up so changed that and the battery the cleared the fault and its never come back.

Gap will tell you 90% of the issues on the car and give you a good starting point

Post #616687 16th Dec 2021 11:54pm
conor

Oh yea Bean..

I got a Gap IID tool. First thing I sorted lol.

The list of errors above are from Gap. When I get the brakes and air suspension sorted, i'll be fixing up the airbag and seeing what's what.

Post #616688 17th Dec 2021 12:13am
Superspoons

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Enjoyed reading the post and progress - good luck. With regards to Wing Mirror glass I used this company for my FF and very pleased with it and the service - https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/wingmirrorstore Gavin

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged V8
1998 Defender 50th Anniversary - GB168 - preparing for sale

Follow my 4.2 Supercharged antics -
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic63354.html
https://www.instagram.com/l322_supercharged/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ChHNSdscnJarKjBLd_IAg

Post #616708 17th Dec 2021 10:52am
conor

Alright you wonderful lot... i've finally gotten my hands dirty... let's see what we have on our hands heh!

So just to say straight off that the primary objectives are currently:

1. Get the suspension and brakes working so I can drive it around the factory yard where I am working to assess the engine and transmission state (is it a lemon or worth continuing)
2. Assess the rest of the body rust wise and check if it's worth doing and no key areas that would effectively write the car off.

I started off at the O/S Front as I knew that's where the leaking brake line and air spring was.

Removing the air strut / bag

The components were pretty rusty, which meant a pain in the ass to remove. MAPP gas helped, as did my hammer. Damaged a nut banging the bolts out so that will be replaced. The rust here doesn't bother me as I can clean it all up with my die grinder and wire brush, then treat quite easily.

Click image to enlarge

Brakes

I managed to extract the whole brake line for that corner. I'll be replacing it totally.. with Copper. I know, I know.. but I can't find Cunifer anywhere, except this one place that wants €60 euro for it!! No wonder they are the only ones stocking it!

I blanked off the connection in question at the ABS pump, to protect from dirt ingress. I also blanked the connection at flexi pipe. Side note: I topped up the MC a bit and pumped the pedal.. rock solid, for now, which is great. I will still inspect the other known areas.. please feel free to post the common areas where they rot and leak.

DIN flare... of course I bought an SAE flare tool.. oh well. It's so tempting to use an SAE flare Double or Bubble (??) here but I think I am going to insist on getting a DIN tool..

Click image to enlarge

I went about forming up the new line. It was a bit awkward with the tool, as the radius it offers is larger than the OEM ones, so I just went by hand and managed not to kink anything.

I must say that at this point I am short on brake work photos, but hopefully I remember to take some more the day after tomorrow when I am back up there. For now, the line is formed and installed with no flaring done yet.

Click image to enlarge

Rust

It's rusty this car.. more on that later.

Next three are the strut tower area.. This did worry me on initial inspection. I grabbed my punch and hammered from the top (engine bay) and all seemed solid. So for now it's just surface rust.

I would imagine that with rust.. the initial rust seems worse than it is, because along with the actual rust, you get all the flakey paint too.. but I still have no idea where you draw the line between the famous surface rust, and it's less desirable cousins..! Again, more on that later.. I bet this is the point that I have you hooked and reading on or just skipping down to see what else I found Wink

Click image to enlarge

Then we have this section, which looks to be all "surface rust".

Here is the bracket for mounting the mudguard. I can probably make a new one of these.. this one is proper rotten. I've not bet it up (hard to resist) so I can use it to fab a new one..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So what happned next seemed like a bit of carnage, frankly!

I managed to get the plastic skirt off, along with the top layer of the running board. A couple of the bolts holding the running board are seized and another snapped off. Needless to say, pretty crust in there.

Oh and the sill is fairly rusty dusty!!

First up, before I forget here is a quick pick of the air reservoir. Pretty alarming initially. I reckon i'll be taking it out to tart it up, if it's not too far gone.... it accepted a few slaps of the famous hammer + punch.

.. Ok, so I have decided to just post this and then start another reply with the rest of the update, for fear of losing this.

Post #617852 29th Dec 2021 3:16am
conor

..Where were we?

Click image to enlarge

There was a lot of pulling and dragging to get this out.. and I scuffed it pretty bad too.. I also think it will be visible, I may need to tart it up, which if you haven't yet guessed it, means that I will attempt some kind of repair and then paint.

Following that.. I removed the rear arch liner and look what I found.

Also, in my optimistic ways, I think this also isn't too bad..

The box section here is fairly rotten and i'd probably need to rebuild it.

Now.... that is where I got to.... what do you think?

It seems like there is a nice bit to do regarding rust, which I can manage. But it seems a lot.. the same will be true for the other side also, remember..

Based on what you have seen, would you be worried? Where should I be looking for major structural issues, to see if they exist?

Also... how bad is this? I suppose it's true that there are probably a heap or RRs of this vintage in a similar state, but the rear quarters aren't a common sore spot are they? I suppose this one is probably on the worse end of the spectrum, but how bad?

I forgot to mention, I'm happy to work away on the welding / repair of this as I enjoy it really.

Post #617855 29th Dec 2021 3:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>