Print this entire topic · 
Kot

United Kingdom 

Just be prepared for 2 to 3 oil changes per year 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #612638 14th Nov 2021 4:15pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Isn’t the oil dilution a 3.0 issue?

Haven’t had any problems with it on our 4.4 as a reference, or heard of anyone with it on the 4.4? Maybe I’ve missed a thread. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #612642 14th Nov 2021 4:59pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Kot wrote:
dhallworth wrote:
From around 65 plate onwards they fitted AdBlue which will half the road tax bill. That'll be why the 2017 is cheaper road tax.

Personally, I prefer the look of the screens in the 2017 so when the time eventually comes it'll be a 2017 car that I'm looking for.

David.

Welcome to the oil dilution club with the AdBlue Engines lol

There is no oil dilution problems with the V8 Diesel, I’ve had several and so have many of my friends and family and non of us have had absolutely no issues in any shape or form with this engine. The V8 Diesel is virtually bomb proof - similar to the Rolls Royce Merlin Engines or the 6 cylinder Ford New Holland Powerstar engine - they simply don’t go wrong unless you abuse them or don’t service them. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #612661 14th Nov 2021 8:27pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Vogue
Agreed they are solid Engines, but oil dilution is a consequence of having a modern DPF unless all you do is motorway driving at speeds above 63 mph (MY18 V8 4.4) thats when Passive regen occurs naturally at temps above 250C.
Search for other threads on Oil dilution. Certainly watch the video, there are more on Utub.

I bought my car March 21, August 21 it flagged a service required on the remote app (started the countdown) and appeared on the dash. It was booked in anyway for a warranty investigation.
LR dealer tested and confirmed oil dilution, they changed the oil and filter. Its now started the same countdown on the Remote app again for sure its oil dilution again.
Oil and vacuum pump on standby, I am quite happy changing the oil every 6 months, now its looking every 4 months lol

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61245.html

https://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/u...lained.pdf 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #612670 14th Nov 2021 10:22pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Extract from my WSM

"Engine Oil Dilution
Engine oil dilution can occur due to small amounts of fuel entering the engine crankcase during the post-injection
phases. This has made it necessary to introduce a calculation based on driving style to reduce oil service intervals if
necessary. The driver is alerted to the oil service by a message in the IC.
The DPF software monitors the driving style and the frequency of the active regeneration and duration. Using this
information a calculation can be made on the engine oil dilution. When the DPF software calculates the engine oil
dilution has reached a predetermined threshold (fuel being 7% of engine oil volume) a service message is displayed in
the IC.
Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval. If a service
message is displayed, the vehicle will be required have a full service and the service interval counter will be reset." 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #612671 14th Nov 2021 10:49pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

You must be doing a lot of short journeys because that’s a totally new one on me - I have never ever had to undertake a service before the 12 months dictated by the dash counter and that even includes during lockdown when my annual
mileage dropped to only 7k. Normally it’s around 12k to 15k miles per annum.

That said, we have had previous issues with my wife’s car (other make) due to oil dilution, but she was only going 3-4K miles per year on short journeys - so I can see how it would happen due to trip
Length and driving style 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #612672 14th Nov 2021 11:14pm
TJH1985

Kot wrote:
Vogue
Agreed they are solid Engines, but oil dilution is a consequence of having a modern DPF unless all you do is motorway driving at speeds above 63 mph (MY18 V8 4.4) thats when Passive regen occurs naturally at temps above 250C...................................................................
]

Fairly low milage here, and haven't had any issues. Thumbs Up

Car has done around 7k per year, and has never had a service more frequently than yearly, you must be doing some seriously short journeys? Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #612683 15th Nov 2021 8:45am
Kot

United Kingdom 

TJH
My mileage will be more than yours EOY, its currently 6020 from end of March 2021 thats 8 months so far, looking like 9500 for the year.
I am more inclined to think as its a MY18 facelift, then these post MY18 models have different software architecture, they certainly changed to dual screen touch pro etc maybe thats when they brought in the oil dilution algorithm? or changed it? Who knows? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #612691 15th Nov 2021 10:21am
Landphil

United Kingdom 

This oil dilution issue is interesting because it is an inferred value not a measured one. I’ve had six LR/RRs and only once have I seen an “Oil Service Required Contact Dealer” message and that was in my 2011 Freelander 2 and it popped up one month before the annual service was due with about 12,000 miles on the clock.
I’m not doubting that it occurs as we know fuel gets into the crankcase every time there is a failed or forced regen of the DPF.
What I am saying is that LR have created an algorithm to cover a worst case scenario because they have screwed up the design of the exhaust system and this is the cheapest “fix.” They started off with an inferred dilution of 7%, but increased that to 10% when service intervals were cropping up too frequently.
The SDV8 holds 9.4 litres of oil when indicating max. Every time I check mine it’s says “OK” and the level in on max. If you overfill it even slightly it will shout OVERFILLED at you.
Unless your oil is being burnt or leaking at the same rate fuel is entering the sump then the total fluid contents is going to rise. But it never does, or at least I’ve never seen it, but If I remember correctly I did see a post in the RRS Forum where increasing oil level was mentioned. Anyway if you have 10% fuel dilution you will have an additional 0.94 ltr of fuel in the sump with the oil and that would definitely trigger an overfilled warning. An old trick for checking fuel in oil is to put a small drop of the old oil on a piece of white letter paper, then leave it to spread out for about 24 hours. The oil will stain the paper black but if there is fuel in it it will have a light brown margin to it and the deeper the margin the more fuel is in the oil. I’ve just changed my oil and done this and there is a very thin margin.
What’s the answer?
As I change my oil every 6 months and only do about 8,000 miles a year I ignore any Service required that comes up and service my car on the calendar. Changing the oil every time it asks for it is also fine, but expensive, but then so is the car.
DPFs are a pain in the a.... but they are here to stay. My driving style is what I call normal, that is when I need to go somewhere I do and don’t constantly worry about oil dilution or DPFs. I know I’m tempting providence but in 12 years of having cars with a DPF I’ve never had a problem.

Post #612721 15th Nov 2021 6:00pm
scotsjon

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Farallon Black

I’ve just picked my 2017 sdv8 up from the dealership after having some warranty worked carried out and the oil changed after premature oil dilution.

The oil change was carried out under goodwill and I was informed that any future oil changes due to oil dilution will also be carried out under goodwill 😳

Bit of a pain but if it’s getting covered I can love with it

J

Post #612896 17th Nov 2021 2:06pm
TJH1985

And after all this… I just got hit with oil dilution Rolling with laughter

Confirmed 7% via SDD, just under 4 months before it’s next service. Changed the oil and filter as MD wouldn’t service it under its service plan until the due date and wanted it in for “diagnosis” @ £190 which if it confirmed oil dilution would then be a oil change on top. Thanks but no thanks.

£80 for oil & filter and 20 minutes on the drive Mr. Green

In future I’ll check it at the 6 month mark and make a call on a oil change. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #617198 21st Dec 2021 11:39pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the club Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #617216 22nd Dec 2021 9:32am
TJH1985

The strange thing is, COVID hasn't changed the journeys at all. My other half is a Teacher and her school is down a fast single/dual carriageway so it has still been working its way there and back as usual, if anything quicker because of the lighter traffic.

I simply put it down to my post above, the Land Rover god's couldn't have that! Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #617226 22nd Dec 2021 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12