Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tow bar electrics question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nath911t

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Tow bar electrics question.

Hi all, wonder if you can give me some advice. My current 10 plate FFRR has the 7 pin electric plug. I've been asked to tow a friends caravan down to their pitch and I'm pretty sure that has a 13 pin plug. Is it just a simple case of getting an adaptor. One like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09N3J...&psc=1

Will it still power the caravan when I'm towing it? As in charge the battery and keep the fridge cold? Or will I need to look at getting a 13 pin plug fitted to enable powering it while towing it? If it's the later is that easy enough to do?

Thanks

Post #661501 10th Apr 2023 2:12pm
Nath911t

This is the current set up:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography

Post #661509 10th Apr 2023 3:34pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

No, it will only convert the caravan lights for towing 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #661511 10th Apr 2023 3:51pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

My caravan is a 13-pin set-up and my RR is the same as yours.

I have the adaptor in place on the van and the electrics for towing are just like you would expect. All the important functions (lights) work correctly. The fridge remains on (powered by the caravan battery), but I'm not 100% sure if the battery is actually being charged while I'm towing or not.

Truth is, all that matters is the legal stuff for the lights. Unless you're going to be towing for days on end without an electric hook-up overnight, there's probably no need to worry about the fridge. I've towed the van for a couple of hundred miles, stopped overnight at the side of the road without a hook-up, and towed again the next day without the battery being exhausted. The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #661514 10th Apr 2023 4:06pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Just to add my 2p, the black 12N socket as above will provide basic lights except reverse lights. The white 12S you are missing provides the reverse lights, fridge power, battery charging (ignition feed), and general battery.

Most modern caravans have a habitation relay, that’s designed to shut down the system when it senses the ignition feed. This also activates the 12v feed to the fridge which only runs off ignition to prevent the fridge flattening the car battery. On the van’s I have towed there has been no option to run from the caravan 12v battery, the only options are Mains, Gas and 12v from the vehicle ignition so even if you left the 12v van system powered up which you shouldn’t as they are designed to be powered down when in motion to meet EMC regulations it wouldn’t do anything in my experience.

In summary you’ll tow it just fine with an adapter, but it’s unlikely the fridge will work. Not a problem if you are not going too far, or it’s empty. The rest you can just power down, it’s nothing more than a big trailer at that point and you don’t need to worry about charging the leisure battery.

If you are towing on a more regular basis, the towing electrics are plug and play so (I think) really easy to just buy a dual 7 pin or 13 pin loom and swop it over, what I can’t remember is if you can get at them without removing the bumper. From memory I think they route through a grommet on the L322 into the spare wheel area, it’s even easier on the L405 as it’s all accessible from underneath I changed ours from 12N to 13Pin.

The other thing to check is the van lights, our old L322 didn’t like our caravans LED’s, threw a trailer bulb notification and the indicators flashed double time again we had to fit an adapter to the caravan electrics. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #661517 10th Apr 2023 4:43pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

As above an adaptor will allow key lights, side, brake and indicators to work.

They normally do not charge the fridge in transit or operate the ATC ( anti jack knife facility) to work either. 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #661539 10th Apr 2023 7:10pm
Nath911t

Thanks all and much appreciated Thumbs Up 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography

Post #661551 10th Apr 2023 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1