Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Supercharged Coolant Problem - Temp Gauge Dropping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Supercharged Coolant Problem - Temp Gauge Dropping

Here's the issue.....this has happened a couple of times now - when driving, the temperature gauge will drop from half way to about a 1/4 and the viscous fan then kicks in. Eventually the gauge comes back up to normal operating temperature and the viscous fan cuts out.

When this happens - the bottom radiator hose is cold. I reckon that there is air in the system (recently converted to LPG so has had the radiator drained down and refilled)

I have bled the system as per the instructions on Topix, but I reckon there is still an air pocket

Any thoughts ?? Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #66263 29th May 2011 7:44pm
bozmandb9

Funny that, this happened to my S/C on Friday too, and I have LPG as well!

Out of interest do you get any any management lights on your car? Mine seems to come on with LPG, I ran a couple of tanks of petrol and it went out. The fault it comes up with is running lean, however when it's run with live diagnostics the figures show its not.

Also on mine, it was choking under full load, so I just had a second vapouriser fitted, which seems to have improved it a lot, but still EML.

I guess the lower temperature on the gauge shouldn't be a problem if it's not going into the danger zone, it's just unusual for it to not be dead centre when it's warmed up! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #66269 29th May 2011 8:33pm
CG-SC

That's interesting that you have experienced the same issue as me.....

As for the LPG conversion, I haven't had any management light on (yet !!) Is your light on constantly ? Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #66272 29th May 2011 8:42pm
CG-SC

I have investigated this a bit further but still can't get to the bottom of the problem.

If i drive the car from cold, soon after the temperature gauge gets to normal, it drops to just above the blue and the viscous fan then cuts in (its electonically controlled on the SC)

If I then switch the engine off and restart, everything is fine - the guage comes back to normal and the viscous fan cuts out.

This only ever happens on the first journey from stone cold - it is fine after that.

I changed the engine coolant sensor yesterday but it did exactly the same thing today. I just can't think what can be wrong - I'm going to change the thermostat next.

Has anybody got any idea what could be wrong ????? Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #68177 11th Jun 2011 1:05pm
CG-SC

I've now changed the engine coolant sensor and the thermostat and yet the problem is still there......also, there are no fault codes stored in the ECU. The system has been bled properly about three times now - I'm sure there is no air trapped.

It's doing my head in - having searched this form, I noticed that two other Supercharged owners have reported the same fault - ngb13 and 44ark, I tried PM'ing them but my messages seem to be stuck in the Outbox so not sure if they have recieved them or not.

Interesting that 3 different Supercharged FFRR's seem to have experienced the same fault - but I cannot come up with the reason behind it Big Cry Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #68535 14th Jun 2011 2:31pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

How is your vapouriser warmed?

It should have a constant supply of coolant to ensure it doesn't freeze up. Is it possible its not plumber in right and this when the thermostat opens they suck a lot of heat out of the water and thus the temp drops??

Does it make any difference if your running with your ac on or off?

Do you start from cold on LPG or let it auto switch over? If the latter is it not long after it switches over the issue occurs?

Post #68539 14th Jun 2011 3:05pm
CG-SC

kingpleb wrote:
How is your vapouriser warmed?

It should have a constant supply of coolant to ensure it doesn't freeze up. Is it possible its not plumber in right and this when the thermostat opens they suck a lot of heat out of the water and thus the temp drops??

Does it make any difference if your running with your ac on or off?

Do you start from cold on LPG or let it auto switch over? If the latter is it not long after it switches over the issue occurs?

The vaporiser is plumbed in parallel with the heater circuit - its starts on petrol and then switches to LPG at 30degC which it does fairly quickly - there are no issues with the vaporiser freezing.

It does it with the AC on or off.

What I can't understand is that if I switch the engine off and start it straight back up when the gauge drops everything is fine, but if I leave it running, the temp gauge stays just above the blue and the viscous fan keeps running........ Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #68543 14th Jun 2011 4:03pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I would say that the way the LPG system gets its temperature reading is not correct and causing a drop across the circuit which is cleared with a restart. Possibly needs to use its own sensor and jot share the standard landrover unit instead??

Post #68557 14th Jun 2011 5:55pm
RRBlue

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I changed thermostat on my 4.2sc and now temperature gauge sits on the centre point after pointing to 10 o'clock for ages. The rubber seal on the thermostat was completely destroyed.

An easy job, but would recommend removing the housing and getting it in a vice to replace the spring loaded thermostat. I say this after pratting about with it in situ fighting all those prints. Piece of cake in the vice. 2014 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography & 2015 3.0SDV6 HSE Lux Discovery 4
2005 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE & 2011 3.0SDV6 HSE Discovery 4
2002 4.4 Vogue
2000 4.6 Vogue
2011 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE
2015 Discovery 4 HSE Lux
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE
2009 Freelander 2 TD4.e 2009
1992 Mercedes 300D
1986 Renault 2.1 Turbo D
1976 Morris Marina 1.8

Post #320586 30th Mar 2015 9:23pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

The fan cutting in seems the strange one to me?? Surely it should go off as the temperature drops. Your problem sounds electrical to me not trapped air.

Post #320635 31st Mar 2015 12:53pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

As the OP was 4 years ago I am guessing he no longer cares or has the car! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #320640 31st Mar 2015 1:12pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Rolling with laughter

I wonder if he ever sorted it!!??

Post #320655 31st Mar 2015 2:26pm
CG-SC

YES - I did Whistle Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #320676 31st Mar 2015 3:52pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

going to ask the next question, what was the problem?.

Post #320681 31st Mar 2015 5:44pm
RRBlue

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

After replacing my thermostat, I have noticed a puddle under the car. I opened her up to check today to see if I had messed something up. Assuming that I had damaged something or that one of the many tools that I have lost in the engine compartment over the years had ended up damaging the radiator, but no sign of anything associated with my fumblings, but I did notice a leaking joint where two pipes are connected to the bottom of the thermostat housing by a plastic connector.

Click image to enlarge

The photo is looking down from above the thermostat housing with the offending hose connector disconnected and shown next to the housing outlet. An o ring can just be seen above the coolant level.

When disconnected, I found bits of the o ring stuck to the housing that the o ring had degraded, perhaps rotted during the long period of thermostat malfunction and not sealing now that the new thermostat is allowing flow again. That's my story anyway. Hoping that Dan at Duckworths can source the o ring which can just been seen in the photo above the coolant level in the disconnected plastic connector. Otherwise, I suspect Land Rover only sell the o ring with a new engine attached.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated :mrgreen:  2014 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography & 2015 3.0SDV6 HSE Lux Discovery 4
2005 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE & 2011 3.0SDV6 HSE Discovery 4
2002 4.4 Vogue
2000 4.6 Vogue
2011 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE
2015 Discovery 4 HSE Lux
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE
2009 Freelander 2 TD4.e 2009
1992 Mercedes 300D
1986 Renault 2.1 Turbo D
1976 Morris Marina 1.8

Post #323234 19th Apr 2015 5:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top