Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Why are so many negative about Range Rovers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

Had my TDV8 4.4 westy for three and a half years now - have only done around 10,000 miles I must admit - and it only ever let me down once, last December, after it had stood for five weeks and a sudden cold-snap came upon us, on south coast UK. The only thing I do find around about every other MOT is that it needs front sussy arms or rods or sods, which ain't expensive at all, but I expect this with it weighing in at nearly 50-ton...
Got a bit of water in the rear passenger side light cluster - but still haven't bothered to put the drill through it to drain it yet, but I will in time. I've quite gotten used to seeing the wee little lit-up swimming pool at the rear...
It can smell a tad oily if you push it...
Apart from that: PURE HEAVEN!!!
Bow down

Post #614490 2nd Dec 2021 6:13pm
jagracer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi, I have had my 2011m/y 4.4 tdv8 for a few months now, bought blind, 174k miles, not perfect, but clean. Keeps showing restricted performance, still on original battery, a bit of oil in the header tank, but one expects a bit to do with a few miles on the clock. I have had Classics, an LSE, and the most unreliable was a P38 petrol. The last Classic i bought in Cornwall bent like a Banana from side-swiping a tree with a loaded trailer on. It drove home alright, and I straightened it out in the back yard. New doors and roof, good car, only 78k miles. So one has to be pragmatic about cars, I repaired and overhauled a lot of tooling for Landrover in the 90's. Most of it was no good new, so quality control is better now. The best made engines I think was the old Perkins factory in Peterborough, I made a lot of tooling for them, and they had Engineers for managers.
The 4.4 tdv8 is the smoothest engine I have had except for Jaguars V12, which was fitted to 12 Rangerovers in the seventies. That would have stopped all the complaints that the V8 petrol got when the tooling was knackered.

Post #614505 2nd Dec 2021 7:10pm
Red Hot one

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I went from a perfectly reliable but oh so boring Isuzu Dmax to the FF, not as care free to drive but would I go back to the Dmax, no, not ever, there is no better towing vehicle in humble opinion and you can drink a cup of coffee on the move. A bit of preventative maintenance, frequent oil changes and use it regularly seems to work well for me.

Post #614512 2nd Dec 2021 8:54pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I have had them for years still have my classic and the p38 as well as l322 which \i use daily and have done for 7 years and 160k miles it has never let me down or broken down everything still works as it should. I do look after it as it is a work car for me so it gets gearbox and diffs serviced every 30k engine oil every 10k rest have been parts that have worn out.
My p38 never let me down either but did have 4 engines Smile

Post #614644 3rd Dec 2021 6:31pm
RRover

Wow! You have a classic AND a P38... My dream world would be to have those two pedigrees and my lovely westy out on the drive. I saw a classic in really nice condition (the wife calls them Lady Jane Felsham cars) in Rye less than a week ago, and I couldn't drag myself away from the experience. I could well have been looking at £50,000 - £100,000 with it being in such good nick... "Come-on nerdy!" the wife hissed eventually... I kept looking back though - until the dream vanished into the distant haze!
Embarassed

Post #614973 6th Dec 2021 9:04am
MartinD

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

M7 p38 has been pretty reliable too aside from some maintenance issues that were largely my fault ... and leaving it parked up for months and months on end without use.

Would happily jump in it now (once it's MOT'd) and go for a decent drive without issue Smile 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
2000 4.0 P38 HSE - 'Green Goblin' - Gone.
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #614997 6th Dec 2021 10:38am
RRover

And yet the poor old P38 gets such bad press... I was actually considering one before the westy came along...

Post #615028 6th Dec 2021 12:43pm
MartinD

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Get one anyway - they're relatively cheap.

Different experience to the L322 and not necessarily a negative one either. 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
2000 4.0 P38 HSE - 'Green Goblin' - Gone.
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #615044 6th Dec 2021 1:36pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 

I'm on my second P38 and it is imo a great vehicle. The quality of the plastics and the leather are excellent, it is very smooth to drive (not in a hurry). I have it serviced annually regardless of mileage, do preventative maintenance and keep on top of niggles as they crop up. The one I have now let me down once several years ago - the key fob signal was being jammed by something (I'd parked close to telephone mast?!). That's it. I'm taking it skiing in the spring in preference to the Disco 5.

Agree 100% with the comment above about a number of RRs bought second hand by people who haven't got the ££ to maintain them properly. Just because an L322 has cost e.g. £10k it still has the maintenance / running costs of a vehicle costing £60k+ new.

I was shooting on Sat and took the P38. There was a mix of RRs there, an immaculate 2010 L322 with 160k miles and a 2018 which looked a bit unloved (and I'd guess will be handed back sometime this year for a replacement). There was also a smattering of D4s, a Defender 110 TD5, and a Freelander. Regardless of the reputation for reliability folk are still buying them!

Post #615057 6th Dec 2021 2:36pm
Dan_Veluwe

Netherlands 

I just got my 1st FF, light that is.. Cool , a P400e.. Laughing

Before I had all sorts, still have as 2nd/ 3rd car. Have been thrilled to bits by my D3 (2006),
ran it from 2010-2019. Sold it due to increase of road tax from crazy ( € 2850 pa ) to insane , € 3500.
That was due to the fact it didn't have a DPF.. .. retrofitting wouldn't change the tax.

Sold it to another Dutch who snapped his crank, now on Luxembourg plates. He pays € 250 pa,
does many many kilometers in the Netherlands, more then I ever did !

Already had an F-Type, P300 (3rd car) and a BMW (2nd car). Bought an F-Pace to replace the D3; it couldn't life up.
Then bought a D5 SD4 HSE Lux (2018). Great car, but impractical for short local trips, given its that type of use one
gets the oil dilution problems with, and then the engine says puff after a while..

So when my son went to uni and he wouldn't have time for Alpine trips anymore, I quickly decided to
trade the D5 and the F-Type in on this 2019 P400e.

Never had a quality issue with Land Rover, or Jaguar. Just very odd decisions in fittings and functionalities,
like my present car. Top LR model, top-of-the-Range, top audio system ( no CD-player) ;
impossible to load MP3 on the media player. Identical problem as with the F-Type, but that
had a reduced size SSD for economical reasons (saved them € 10 on each car.. Evil or Very Mad ).

Some other decisions : fit a 3G module in the D5. From 2002 it was known 3G would end in 2019..
And make the armrest on the doorpanel so low (F-Pace), only a midget can support an arm on it; same
problem as I have with the New Defender. Can not sit in one.

The only off-issue was an annoying vibration on decelaration in the F-Type, turned out to be a fuel pipe
touching the body as it was fixed 5mm to near the bodywork. Moved forward, touching the body.

So no real technical failures or issues, just some nuisance. I-pace First Edition Santorini & 2nd car Mazda MX-30 Advantage red/black
PHEV P400e Hybrid Autobiography Loire blue= SOLD
D5 SD4 HSE Lux Corris grey = SOLD
D3 TdV6 HSE Lux Vienna Green =SOLD
P300 F-Type 2018 Ultra Blue = SOLD
25t F-Pace 2020 Loire Blue = SOLD

Post #615120 7th Dec 2021 2:09am
RRover

''''''Regardless of the reputation for reliability folk are still buying them!''''''' (Huttopia)

Yes I guess you see them and get to know them and simply WANT them!!!

I still want another Freelander, believe it or not. The Freelander 5-door station wagon 1.8i (with top spec I'll add) I had from new (black) in 2000 was my first introduction to the Land Rover species and, although it DID eventually need the head gasket replaced, at around the 60,000 mile odd mark, I simply loved every living moment in that vehicle, which took us to Europe (southern Spain furthest) on numerous occasions. I never had ANY other problems with that mark one petrol model (the diesel was WAY too noisy in the cabin for me) and the head gasket failure was in 2012, so the vehicle went twelve years problem free.
Luckily for me though, I found a guy (on Ebay of all places) who was advertising (he was west midlands based and we were in south Hertfordshire near M25) to do Freelander head gasket replacements: and he would sort the head gasket out on our drive in 3 hours plus add a second hand whole wing mirror and ease three juddering window operations and check on all the breaks and adjust for around £250 squids.... He even did the head gasket multi layer upgrade (not sure what he would have done if I hadn't asked) and the metal head locating dowels instead plastic and even re-located the thermostat which my research had shown was getting confused in the standard placement/position on the lower or side of the engine block.
Yes I want another Freelander, but the very juicy petrol Mk1...

I just got one of these (radio control) on Bay of E though - if it counts!

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by RRover on 7th Dec 2021 11:29am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #615129 7th Dec 2021 8:32am
Dan_Veluwe

Netherlands 

I agree ! Once had a Freelander, basic FWD 2.2 diesel. I loved it !

Wife and son complained over 'harsch ride' , compared with the D3..

I-pace First Edition Santorini & 2nd car Mazda MX-30 Advantage red/black

Post #615155 7th Dec 2021 11:04am
RRover

That's a really nice Freelander indeed. Plus I love black body - as they polish up like showroom new...

There are a few Freelander's - not sure which ones though - that look like a smaller range rover from even a few feet away...

Post #615160 7th Dec 2021 11:33am
Dan_Veluwe

Netherlands 

That was the last version, 2012-2014..

I-pace First Edition Santorini & 2nd car Mazda MX-30 Advantage red/black

Post #615164 7th Dec 2021 11:46am
Bluebird

Wales 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

See in the paper Land Rover top again of most unreliable cars. Still love mine though!

Post #616664 16th Dec 2021 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>