Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > My lady's '05 TD6 - my '09 3.6 TDV8 and my sisters '06 TD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JellzFromCountryside

Belgium 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black
My lady's '05 TD6 - my '09 3.6 TDV8 and my sisters '06 TD6

Hi fellow RR lovers!

Let me try to quickly introduce myself;

I'm Jelle, born in 1990 - Poperinge, Belgium.

My love for Land/ Range rovers started pretty much in my cradle Laughing

My mom drove a white 3-door Range Rover Classic v8 when I was a kid, while my dad was always driving/wrenching on his rare '54 Land Rover Minerva (One of the few citizen types ever built - 90" wheelbase - most were built for the Belgian Army and have a slightly shorter wheelbase - 88"). As he drove the car as a daily driver (and still does to this day!!), he didn't want to waste the original 4 cylinder petrol engine - which is still in great condition stored away - in modern traffic, so he built in a 3.5 rover v8 coming from a wrecked SD1 he bought from my uncle. I was always playing around him in his workshop and fell in deep love with the roar of those v8's. He still owns the white classic, which we are currently restoring together.

When I was about 18 years old I had an accident with my left leg and was out for about 1 year and 7 months. During that period I read a whole pile of mechanical books (since my mom put me in catering school when I was 14 and kept me away from my dad, this was the only way to teach myself mechanics; my parents devorced when I was 6 and my mom didn't want me to grow up like my dad - epic fail Rolling with laughter ). During that period of recovery, my place to be found was usually the couch. Back then, my sister was watching the American serie 'The OC', where one of the main characters drove a British Racing Green L322. We were in love with that car as I remember. We always dreamed about owning one.

When I was 24, I bought my own RRC 3-door 3.9 v8. As my work didn't allow me to wrench more on my car then driving it as a daily driver, I had to sell it (my dad bought it, so still around Smile ). Bought myself a Chevy v8 pick up truck from '95 so I could easily transport my offroad motorcycles and I had half of the work on it. Loved the roar, the reliability but missed the classy style of the Range Rovers.

So in 2020, we bought our first L322. It is a 2005 Zambezi Silver TD6 HSE which had only 133.000 km (about 83.125 miles) on the clock. Gave the car the supercharged grill and rear lights (as a tribute to the supercharged from 'The OC' Laughing )

I bought the workshop manuals on RimmerBros and do all maintenance myself.

A few months later, my sister wanted one herself, and I went on the hunt for a good one for her. Found a Buckingham Blue fatty in mint condition for her. Enjoy my godchild sharing our passion Very Happy .
Most of maintenance works are done by myself.

In summer 2021, I had the opportunity to buy a clean 2009 3.6 TDV8 Vogue for a reasonable price (price in this country are much higher then the UK market). So I couldn't help myself and bought the Santorini Black beauty for myself. The car has high milage (390.000 km - 243750 miles) but I know the car history and it was very well maintained, Turbo's have been replaced in time, fluids have been replaced always before time and overall it is a very clean and good car. it has it's issues, but nothing that can't be fixed.
i know I will have to replace the torque converter one day, but I did those works before on my US pick up truck, so I'm not afraid to do it with a proper workshop manual. (which up to this time I haven't found yet for this model year and engine set up - any recommendations would be very appreciated!)

Hope you guys didn't get bored during my lifetime story, now enjoy the pictures!

Always happy to receive any recommendations or comments!

Best regards from an old soul trapt in a younger body Laughing

Cheers, Jelle

Click image to enlarge

Nov. '22: Finally time for an update regarding our L322 family!

Last summer, we converted my lady's TD6 into the perfect overlander.
Such a great machine on the terrain. Brought us to wherever we wanted far away from civilization. It was the perfect getaway for us.

Here's a list of things I've done to get the fatty overland ready;

Technical;
- Did an overall maintenance check up, all fluids and filters were replaced, replaced the multi belt.
- put in an EGR-delete
- removed the carter breather with filter and replaced with the filterless kit
- Changed height sensors for 2" lift
- DIY stainless steel open exhaust line (sheesh that TD6 has a lovely roar).

Electrical:
- added a living battery
- installed a split charge kit by National Luna with the intelligent solenoid and dual battery controller
- Xenteq LBC 512-10 battery charger so we can keep our batteries fully loaded in case we end up on a regular camping.
- 12v to 220v converter
- added an auxillary fuse box and already prepared wires to the dashboard for switches, ready to install ledbars all around the roofrack (couldn't finish this project before leaving on holidays, that'll be a winter project)
- we were lucky enough to borrow the SnoMaster Classic fridge of good friends of us, absolutely great device, we will be buying one for ourselves.

Exterior:
- Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires
- Front runner Roofrack
- Front runner roof top tent
- Alu Cab 270° shadow awning
- spare wheel on the roof

Hope you guys like the result, my wife is happy to have this overland beast as daily driver Very Happy .

Now a few updates about my '09 TDV8.

I was starting to notice an oil leak and a coolant fluid leak on the right hand side of the engine.
Also found out the intercooler hoses were collecting quite some oil.
The torque converter was starting to slip quite frequently as well.

My black beauty was shouting for some serious wrenching!

The oil leak was coming from the oil cooler in the V, the one behind the oil filter, replaced the whole piece.
The coolant fluid leak was coming from the thermostat housing, also replaced this one.

There was quite some play noticeable on both turbochargers, so replaced these as well with a pair genuine LR turbo chargers.
My intake manifolds on both sides weren't in the best shape anymore and I've read when they are very high milage, they tend to crack, so replaced these on both sides as well. Exhaust manifolds were also flattened of course.

The torque converter was a bit of a gamble. I found a used one for a good price, the seller claiming it had very low milage.
First tests where not very promising, lot's of slipping and very weird behaviour. it must have been some dirt or air bubbles, change the transmission oil and filter twice and now the 3.6 tdv8 is flying like a rocket again.

Overall, the car runs and drives great again. Though there is still one issue bothering me;
When I'm drving on highways at higher speed (happens from 100 kmph onwards), my fatty goes in 'alarm', displaying 'HDC Fault - System not available', few moments later it goes in 'airsusp. lowered' mode. also, on the main screen there's a pop up message telling me 'Special terrain response programs Unavailable'. Car runs and drives just perfectly fine, the lowered suspension is not really a problem for me on the highway. When i leave the highway, I just pull aside, turn of the engine, restart the car and problem solved. I believe this must have something to do with the transfer case.

Anyone on here who had a similar problem and what was the cause of it?

Also, I am still on the hunt for a good workshop manual for the L322 3.6 tdv8. anyone overhere who could advice me were to get one? Willing to pay for it of course.

Have a great day fellow fatty lovers!

Cheers, Jelle

Last edited by JellzFromCountryside on 27th Nov 2022 12:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #624200 19th Feb 2022 9:33pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Cracking post, love the comment about growing up like your Dad Rolling with laughter driving interesting cars obviously runs in the family. Thumbs Up

Post #624202 19th Feb 2022 10:26pm
landy95

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Welcome to the forum and what a wonderful story hope to hear more of your exploits. Cheers. Also own a 1976 Land Rover 101 3.5 V8.
Previously owned 1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 V8.

Post #624204 19th Feb 2022 10:47pm
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Hey jelle and welcome to the mad house. I used to be over your way quite a lot at steenvorde buying cigarettes, but not so much now as they much cheaper on the ferry lol. And enjoy the fatties, they are an awesome car. Don't think I'll ever sell mine.

Post #624267 20th Feb 2022 8:21pm
JellzFromCountryside

Belgium 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Thanks for your nice comments guys!

Barmybrummy, we actually live in Abele, right on the border line with France! Steenvoorde is about 2 km from our house, what a coincidence Laughing !

I’ll try to post regularly about the upgrades I do on our fatties. The lady’s TD6 is going to be kept clean, my TDV8 will be upgraded to an offroad beast, bit by bit. But first I’ll make sure he’s as close to 100% reliable mechanically.

Post #624270 20th Feb 2022 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1