Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2012 L322 Front Strut Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
2012 L322 Front Strut Replacement

The car is just ten-and-a-half years old and still has under 59k miles on these struts. The rubber airbags on the front struts are obviously affected by age rather than mileage, as I've found a pinhole leak on my front drivers side. Big Cry

I noticed it last weekend when I went to off-road height and it sounded like someone had disconnected an airline on a compressor! It's been fine on the road at normal height. Also, she's been low at the front before being started these past few days - a classic sign of an overnight leak.

Very hard to see, but it's some white filament (presumably some kind of textile weave in the rubber) protruding from the blackness.

Have ordered a couple of new (BWI) struts today, as there seems little point in just doing the one side, so they ought to be here before the end of the week (hopefully). Also ordered the new (22mm) strut bolts and top gaskets to replace the old stuff.

Noticed a few folks here saying that the old bolts were a nightmare to get off, so today I jacked the car up, took the wheels off and got the WD40 in early. Seems like I was concerned about nothing, as I had a go at them with my favourite DeWalt socket gun and they came undone with relative ease.

Click image to enlarge

Gratuitous shot of the underbody protection showing how easy it is to jack up the whole front of the car when you're wearing a proper sump guard. And before all the questions come at me again - No, you can't buy this particular (LR) guard from anywhere. I've had it for the best part of ten years. It came to me as a prototype from Solihull. No, I'm not selling it!!! Laughing

There doesn't seem to be a write-up in the Wiki for doing the struts on a 2010-2012 TDV8 with the VCD on the top, so when I get round to doing it, I'll get some pictures and do an attempt at a Haynes Manual explanation! The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #662227 18th Apr 2023 7:58pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Getting the nuts off those bolts wasn’t the problem I had, it was getting the bolts out of the shock to release it from the hub that was my problem. They were seized solid and took a lot of beating with the hammer to get them to move.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #662247 18th Apr 2023 10:39pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

WD40 is useless for this, use plusgas and give the bolts and the threaded sections a good soaking for a day or two before doing the job. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #662258 19th Apr 2023 7:22am
Nylands

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zambezi Silver
JMC / Front strut replacement

Thanks for starting this posting and I look forward to your coverage on doing this. I have the same model and similar mileage on her, and therefore may need to do the same before long. Good luck with it.
Cheers Dave

Post #662261 19th Apr 2023 8:41am
TDV8 Paul

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

If it’s any comfort, once I did the first side, the second side took me half an hour from wheel off to wheel back on, it’s a nice simple job once the bolts are free 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE
2005 BMW E63 645ci
2009 5.0 Supercharged autobiography
2024 Porsche Macan

Post #662286 19th Apr 2023 4:37pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I'll second that, I did the extra step of replacing the airbags onto my struts, even then an hour was sufficient the second time. Its an amazingly simple system and easy to sort the struts out. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #662293 19th Apr 2023 5:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1