Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Water leak to NS A pillar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Water leak to NS A pillar

I noticed the other day that I had water running down the internal trim of my NS A pillar. It was coming from about halfway up the trim and seemed to have something trapped under the trim against the windscreen. On removal of the trim I found the thing poking out was in fact window adhesive so not the sunroof drain as I had originally suspected. In fact there was no sign of a sunroof drain and just cabling for (I assume) roof mounted equipment like switches for lighting and sunroof etc. I have never noticed it before and was unaware until today of the car fogging up internally from the damp.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be that's letting water in?
I did have a replacement windscreen fitted when I bought the car back in June 2018 but as stated have never been aware of any ingress up until now.

Click image to enlarge

Post #619110 7th Jan 2022 12:24pm
Huwrhys

I've added the issue to the list for my service booked for 7th Feb to see what they find.

Post #619549 11th Jan 2022 11:16am
WaterloggedFFRR

United States 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It might still be one of the sunroof drains. The drain hose can rust away from the sunroof assembly frame, and travel along the top of your headliner to the front of the vehicle where you see that water. The drain lines are on both sides of the vehicle about halfway back. I don't know where they exit beneath the vehicle, but I think the go down between the front and rear doors. You could verify this by pouring water on the sunroof and seeing if it drains out of BOTH sides. If it's not draining beneath the vehicle on both sides then one of two things happened...(1) the drain line rusted away from the sunroof frame so the water leaves the frame drain hole and hits your headliner before some of it travels forward to where you see water, or (2) the drain on one side, or maybe both of you didn't see any water draining beneath the vehicle, is just clogged and the water is getting into the vehicle near the front because the sunroof assembly filled with water and overflowed into the headliner and eventually traveled to where you see the water. I just lost a 2014 ATB this way. Over $30k in damage. It's a design flaw. The steel sunroof frame can rust all the way through and the drain line falls off in just a few years.

Post #624407 22nd Feb 2022 12:10pm
Huwrhys

Hey WL and thanks for your response.
Having had LR3/4 for 12+ years I assumed the drain would be at the front of the sunroof tray and exiting down the A pillar. You say they possibly exit centrally into the B pillar. I used to use a length of bendy curtain rod which was stiff lengthways but flexible to push down the drains to clear them of any debris. I tried this on my FFRR and couldn't find the drain at all. I was concentrating on the front as before. I'll give it a go but try midways to see if I can find the opening to clear.
Whats strange is the water doesn't run down the A pillar entirely and exits about halfway down. I've pulled the inner trim off to reveal whats behind but couldn't find a drain tube. This lead me to believe it was a screen issue. I'll have a look over the next couple of days and report back.
Thumbs Up

Post #624411 22nd Feb 2022 12:50pm
WaterloggedFFRR

United States 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

I just saw a diagram that indicates that the drain line starts where I said (near B Pillar), but that they then travel straight back and actually exit somewhere behind the rear doors, but in front of the wheels. That said, the lines could be broken off like mine or it could be clogged and the water overfills the sunroof assembly and gets in that way. Good
Luck. I hope you don't have as much damage as I did.

Post #624415 22nd Feb 2022 1:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1