Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Lighting issues....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
conor

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver
Lighting issues....

Good evening (Or early morning Smile )

While I do have my build thread, I thought I would fire up a new post for this particularly technical issue.

Anyway, on my 2006 MY Supercharged, i'm having some issues with lighting and trying to figure out how to test prior to deciding on if parts are needed.

Symptoms

* Turn dipped lights on - ALL lights in car seem to flash, that's cluster headlights, brake lights etc.. (Note the flashing does go away after a while, but it still seems wrong). Green indicator in cluster does not come on.
* I can use the stalk to turn on the main beam and I can see the lights actually come on but the blue indicator in cluster does not appear.
* When I use the indicators, no clicking or light in the cluster - Admittedly, i've not checked if they actually come on. I could assume they do work, given how the headlights react.
* Not tried the wipers.

They are the main symptoms really, as they are all cluster / light related. Worth mentioning the steering wheel does not warm up, but the read light on the switch does stay lit.

Two points

* (Pic below) There is some weird electric mod in the dash, which might be related to the lights (fogs?), i've not traced it out or checked the fuse location. I wonder if that might cause an issue. I had meant to disconnect that relay and see if it made a difference.
* Door card/all electrics on pas side are still fully disconnected, including airbag.
* I noticed one of the interior lamps (map reading maybe) is an aftermarket LED - looks like a powerful UK job.

Questions

* Anything straight off the bat, which I should check/try due to commonly known issues?
* Does this sound like a straight up LCM issue, which if replaced would simply solve all these issues? Is there a way I can test the LCM out / get repaired?
* If I get a salvage LCM, how can the mileage issue be rectified? Do I need to take it to a "mileage correction" type business?
* Is anybody familiar with that relay that relay (mod) shown below from first glance?

Thanks a lot for your time, all Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #619261 9th Jan 2022 2:22am
Ffrr-lover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Ok, I got about 2 3rds through your post wondering what on earth this has to do with lightning (as in thunder and…) before rereading the thread subject Rolling Eyes

Clearly the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet… Yawn

Now my I’ve read it again (properly) the only things I can comment on is that flashing lights sounds like after market LEDs, and any additional boards could be to stop the car “boinging” about failed lights. If there are any I’d unplug them for now. I’d rather have a reassuring bong, than have a device confusing things.

Keep up the good work and posts… we’re enjoying reading them Thumbs Up Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2014 Audi Q7 3.0d (good riddance)
2010 L322 Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2014 Jaguar XF-RS 5.0 supercharged
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic59478.html

Post #619262 9th Jan 2022 7:37am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

On my previous car, a 2003 TD6 I installed LED headlight bulbs. To stop the bulbs flashing due to the lcm test feature and getting bulb out warnings. I wired in a relay and a load resistor into each circuit. Looks like your car might have similar. I never had any strange lighting issues with my instal though, 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #619273 9th Jan 2022 10:34am
conor

[quote=@wayneg]On my previous car, a 2003 TD6 I installed LED headlight bulbs. To stop the bulbs flashing due to the lcm test feature and getting bulb out warnings. I wired in a relay and a load resistor into each circuit. Looks like your car might have similar. I never had any strange lighting issues with my instal though,[/quote]

It's interesting.. relay but I don't see a resistor.. oh and they also still flash.

What about DRLs?? Are DRLs standard on a 2005 Plate 2006 MY? Maybe this was a hack for them?

Ffrr-lover wrote:
Ok, I got about 2 3rds through your post wondering what on earth this has to do with lightning (as in thunder and…) before rereading the thread subject Rolling Eyes

Clearly the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet… Yawn

Now my I’ve read it again (properly) the only things I can comment on is that flashing lights sounds like after market LEDs, and any additional boards could be to stop the car “boinging” about failed lights. If there are any I’d unplug them for now. I’d rather have a reassuring bong, than have a device confusing things.

Keep up the good work and posts… we’re enjoying reading them Thumbs Up

Haha, that's funny.. sorry to confuse you Smile

Thanks for the wise words, i'm really enjoying this project and sharing my progress with the group.

Update: The fogs don't seem to work at all, and the indicators are blinking super super slow... As in they could be blinking on 3 second on-off intervals.

I wonder what I can try to sort this. I really don't feel comfortable driving this without properly working indicators or the lack of symbols on the cluster. I don't want to be driving around on full beams.

Post #619408 10th Jan 2022 12:42am
Ansi

Switzerland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Adriatic Blue

Where are the wires leading coming from this aftermarket relay? The black wire next to the 15 AMPS fuse doesn't look "factory made" where is this one connected on the other end?
No DRLs on the 2005 MY, not even the 2011. But if the DRLs are connected the right way they do not cause any troubles.

Post #619495 10th Jan 2022 8:10pm
conor

Ansi, I've not yet figured that out...

But I can tell you that the lighting issues are now solved! Smile

I removed the LCM on the weekend and extracted the PCB for a look. There was a bit of corrosion in a couple of places, so I washed it down with some Methylated Spirit and a toothbrush.

Once re-installed in the car, problems solved. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
 (07) 2007 3.6 TDV8 L322 - 135k miles.
(05) 2006 MY Supercharged L322 - Zambezi Silver on Jet Black - 162k miles.

** Smiles per gallon - never forget **

Post #620273 17th Jan 2022 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1