Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > Anyone thinking about the non-leather seats?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
EdJ

United Kingdom 
Anyone thinking about the non-leather seats?

I've been told by my dealer that the PHEV should be available to order next month. It's got me looking at spec again, and I have to say that - after 15 years / 3 FFRRs with leather - I'm quite tempted by the non-leather seats.

Do I need to be talked out of this? I would probably go for the dark colour material, so hoping that kids' muddy feet wouldn't be too much of a problem. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #618143 31st Dec 2021 12:11pm
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Interesting approach Ed, one should expect that the textile variant would be easier to clean. And Kvadrat is known to deliver high quality and durable textiles.

But, anyone that have seen the Ultrafabrics and Kvadrat interior in real life in one of the demo vehicles / preview sessions? The configurator only has the Ebony colour variant of the textile interior, which is a bit limiting IMO.

Last edited by Eirik34 on 31st Dec 2021 5:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #618155 31st Dec 2021 1:18pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

At the dealer launch one car had Ultrafabrics/Kvadrat and the other had leather. I sat in both. The U/K was pleasant to sit on, comfortable, warmer and less slippery. However, from a practicality perspective the sides of the seat bolsters were in Kvadrat, which has a fairly open weave and I thought it would attract and hold more dirt and be harder to clean than leather. The Ultrafabrics surfaces are probably about the same to clean as leather, and in each case the perforations will trap dirt. My experience has been that mud shows up pretty strongly on black surfaces, whereas say ivory is worse for denim dye and general grime. Bad experiences with muddy/dirty passengers and dogs have led me to use LR accessory seat covers over the winter, if one does that the seat material obviously matters less.

There were not that many people at the launch when I was there, but to the extent I heard views they were that the leather interior was much nicer. While in the early days of motoring fabric seats were considered more upmarket than leather, there is maybe a view now that fabric is a cheaper option (I don't think it actually is in the L460) and that might make cars with U/K less attractive as trade-ins. Maybe in some markets (e.g. India) it would be a positive advantage and there are of course growing numbers of vegetarians/vegans in many countries.

My experience has been that natural materials, wood and leather rather than synthetic, are more restful to the eye, but that is maybe a matter of taste too.

LR gets its leather from Bridge of Weir, a Scottish company that says it sources its hides from the UK and Ireland, where they are a byproduct of meat production. While LR presents the U/K as a "lower carbon footprint" option, I'm not convinced that UK/Ireland livestock farming is the problem that some suggest, and Q the different recycling/biodegrading footprints of the alternatives. So I'd be happy to stick to leather from an environmental/UK economy perspective also. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #618161 31st Dec 2021 1:53pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Having gone for a full fabric interior Range Rover, I would not change it. But I think it depends on the colour, Sand in my case; black or grey may look 'base-specs' indeed.

The heated function is significantly quicker and I like the softer feel to it. Now it is potentially more prone to become dirty as, well it is fabric and sucks it all up, from liquids to jean colour transfer.
Let's say you do need a carpet cleaner to keep it all mint.

I did love leather on my previous L322 and 405, but am glad my current one is fabric. l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #618180 31st Dec 2021 4:52pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies. I guess I hadn't considered that there are plenty of other LR cars with the fabric interior, so I should be able to get more of an idea once I've looked at some.

Does anyone know whether the fabric in the new L460 is of a different quality from the fabric in - say - the RR Evoque? In the same way that the leather in the top spec FFRR is higher quality? 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #618264 1st Jan 2022 10:48am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I have partial fabric seats on a new Defender X as full leather isn’t an option. IMO, the fabric doesn’t feel premium at all.

Post #618267 1st Jan 2022 11:48am
RG1971

United Kingdom 

Based on sitting in both at one of the preview events I would personally steer clear of the fabric option. As others have mentioned the bolsters have a fairly loose weave which I personally felt would wear quickly. In addition, it didn’t feel in any way premium to me, ie it was nothing like the very high quality cloth or velour interiors that you used to get in old Mercs for example. It felt very synthetic.

However, each to their own and I completely respect those that want it either for environmental / animal-friendly reasons or because they believe it to be more environmentally friendly. It’s just not for me.

Post #618330 1st Jan 2022 7:48pm
TDV8_Tommy

Spain 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Baltic Blue

I take a different view with fabric interiors, vs leather.

Love leather but...

look back at the luxury cars of yesteryear, the Rolls and Bentleys of the 30s, 40s & 50s etc, they often had cloth interiors which now just looks so awesome. Not to mention the Cadillacs, Packards etc of this world.

They are not the same fabrics as nowadays granted, but the qualities still shine through. Such as texture, warmth, ambience and lack of reflectiveness.

When I re-trim my P38 I will likely use an English fabric Broadcloth (think that's what its called) 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior
1997 P38 2.5 DSE auto & 1998 P38 2.5 DT Manual
1988 Vogue 3.5 EFI - Manual, gone.
2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible, had since new.
2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Roadster/Coupé, had since new.
2024 Mini Cooper S cabrio, JCW kit, 2.0, DCT auto

Post #618337 1st Jan 2022 8:25pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

it it an 'eco-option'... for the vegan-warrior to protect livestock etc? what's the steering wheel covered in?

Post #618348 1st Jan 2022 9:35pm
Autobiography

Steering wheel is Suedecloth/Alcantara I believe.

Post #618359 1st Jan 2022 10:25pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I didn’t think the fabric felt particularly special or luxurious.

Post #618364 1st Jan 2022 11:12pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Autobiography wrote:
Steering wheel is Suedecloth/Alcantara I believe.

Actually, that would probably be enough to put me off... My favourite steering wheel was a mixture of leather and wood, which doesn't sit that well with the vegan friendly fabric I guess. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #618367 1st Jan 2022 11:50pm
Autobiography

Correct - there’s nothing animal related on the steering wheel fabric wise I’m afraid.

Post #618418 2nd Jan 2022 1:14pm
Angus

United Kingdom 

I actually really liked the non-leather seats shown on the car at the Mayfair; I was really impressed by the quality. I know it’s a niche remark but I particularly liked the combination of the cloth of the rear of the front seats and the speaker - I thought it looked awesome and a premium over the leather.

Unfortunately the non-leather seat option is let down, IMHO, by the steering wheel which has a plastic finish to the centre where otherwise you would have a leather stitch finish. It’s a shame - given all LR steering wheels are now basically the same since the introduction of pivipro - I’m not sure I could tolerate a finish which is below that of our disco sports!

Last edited by Angus on 2nd Jan 2022 1:39pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #618423 2nd Jan 2022 1:31pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Yes, this steering wheel point is key, I think. I'll try and see one in person, but right now, I'm leaning back towards leather! 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #618424 2nd Jan 2022 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>