Home > Technical (L322) > Select Neutral & Trans Failsafe Prog
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paulo_G

United Kingdom 
Select Neutral & Trans Failsafe Prog

Hi all,

New to the forum and currently a prospective L322 owner. I appreciate this is another question on the trans failsafe prog error code, but having done some searching, I’m not entirely sure the questions I have have been answered.

So, I viewed a late 2003 4.4 V8 HSE today with 133k miles on it, took it for a test drive, and after about maybe 10 minutes (engine had been running for maybe 15 mins before the drive) a message came up telling me to select neutral followed by the trans failsafe prog message. I was driving at the time, maybe 40mph, and didn’t notice anything change in the driveability of the car. Got back, turned off, turned on and the message had gone. Didn’t have a chance to take it for another drive, but the current owner has taken it out again since and I’m informed that he message hasn’t reappeared. At the time I didn’t have the knowledge or foresight to check if it was held on a particular gear or try all gears in manual, but as said I didn’t notice anything with the driveability.

The car has been sat for a few weeks, was MOTd just before Christmas but then parked and only used once before today. Started up fine but from what I’ve read the battery voltage could still be the root cause here, although in most of those cases the message appears at startup, not 15 mins into a drive.

I’m still keen on the purchase, the car has got a decent history and plenty of receipts covering work over the last 6 years of current ownership and before that too. Currently has 133k miles on it, only covered 4k in the last 12 months, it had a new transfer box at around 100k, there’s been a new radiator during the last few years so unlikely to be the overheating fluid due to blocked radiator. Could of course be the transfer switch motor, again didn’t have the knowledge to check this at the time.

My main questions are:
- has anyone experienced the select neutral message prior to the trans failsafe prog message? None of the threads I’ve read seem to mention this
- what kind of financial mess am I likely to be getting into if I go ahead with the purchase? How much is a replacement transfer switch motor? What about a replacement gearbox? I am pretty competent when it comes to mechanical work so an idea of just how much the parts cost would be great

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Post #620255 16th Jan 2022 11:22pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The SELECT NEUTRAL message is generally associated with the transfer box range change so I agree that your symptoms may be related to the transfer box shift motor and its potentiometer.

Click image to enlarge

A new shift motor from Land Rover will set you back £2,600 – yes, that’s two thousand and six hundred pounds! 12 years ago, I used to pick new ones up for £50.

Previously-enjoyed shift motors typically sell for £150-£200, although clearly there’s a risk that their potentiometers are knackered too.

Another option is to get the potentiometer replaced with a more reliable design, and there was a company called 4x4lro here in the UK that used to do them. However, I can’t find any up-to-date references which say that they’re still trading.

You should really get the codes read first and see if there are any “noise on actuator signal” or similar errors.

Phil

Post #620363 18th Jan 2022 1:38am
Paulo_G

United Kingdom 

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response, most helpful.

I've decided to go ahead with the purchase, collecting on Saturday all being well. Current owner has used the car this week for a couple of 30min drives with no issues reported. Given the cost of a new part vs used, I'd be more than happy to risk a used part to resolve the issue, should it persist. I'll get the codes read at the earliest opportunity. I did have a basic code reader with me, Carista, but didn't appear to return anything in detail on it at all. Probably just not compatible with the RR.

Whilst doing some internet prodding following your suggestion of 4x4lro (I had no luck in that regard unfortunately), I came across the following post from another forum. The author of the post has taken the potentiometer apart and noted that the solder joints were cracked, has resoldered them and repaired for free. Has anyone here attempted such a repair with any success?

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/transf...ix.344673/

Paul

Post #620389 18th Jan 2022 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1