Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > DVLA are stealing a living.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
DVLA are stealing a living.

Two rants for the price of one !
Firstly, if you are entitled to a V5C with Disabilty No Tax due classification, you should be made to change it back to Taxable before you dispose of the vehicle.
Why ?
Picked up on of these nightmare vehicles Sun 9th and couldn't tax it on line because it was a Disabilty No tax being transfered to a tax payer. Next day went to 2 local Post Offices listed on line as handling vehicle tax only for them to tell me they were being wrongly included.
Managed to find some where to tax vehicle on the Tues...never struggled so much to line the govts greedy pockets.
New vehicle V5C arrives by the Weds so sent off for an Extra large plate to be made for the rear, as I will be transfering my reg to it. Arrives yesterday so I go on line, armed with my £80 vehicle reg retention cert.

Won't let me transfer, please try our ' chat team" . 30 mins later and back and forth typing, I'm told I need a new V5C with out the refernce to Disabled Tax on it. That will be with you in 6 weeks !. Yes, six weeks for the oxygen thieves at the DVLA to type a new line on their computer

So that will be a total of 7 weeks of road tax used before I can plate my new vehicle. Censored

Post #620459 18th Jan 2022 7:52pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

How is it their fault that your expectations aren’t realistic? Next time don’t buy such a vehicle and let the previous owner sort it out.

Post #620465 18th Jan 2022 8:16pm
DaveK

Expectatios ? They aren't doing me a favour, the dvla are a business and this s a business transaction. Secondly, i don't buy a vehicle every few months, this is the first one in 5 years. The Car Firm, Peterborough kept the taxation issue quiet until I had transfered all monies then at the point of no return, sprang the trap.I am looking to speak to trading standards once Car Firm have responded to my complaint which I have now put in writing to them.

Post #620485 18th Jan 2022 9:00pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

The DVLA isn’t a business, its a Government Agency. That said their customer service does leave a lot to be desired at times. Personally, I’ve never had a problem dealing with them, but your circumstances are unusual so perhaps problems can only be expected.

Post #620488 18th Jan 2022 9:05pm
Bl4ckD0g

Yes you should have words with those selling, not those simply doing their job. I’m not sure what you hope to accomplish with getting trading standards involved. That is a pointless move.

If you want something from the dealer who sold you this in this state then you need to be very clear on what it actually is that you want. Otherwise it just won’t go anywhere.

You need to be clear on the damages you have incurred and how/what you want to be compensated for that. And be reasonable about that.

On the other hand, life is too short. You could also choose to take it as a life lesson learned. Always do your due diligence. I would value my time a lot more than a few weeks of road tax. Entirely your choice procures.

Post #620492 18th Jan 2022 9:20pm
DaveK

I'd like to see the sellers stopped from not declaring the taxation status of vehicles they are selling.They clearly kept it a secret until I had parted with £27 grand, knowing how difficult it would be for me to proceed onwards. I am surely not the only person in Britain who wouldn't think to ask if a vehicle was on the Disabled taxation scheme.

What have I lost.? The ability to display a reg plate that I've been using for years, for at least another 2 months plus my VALUBLE time in running around trying to tax the vehicle.

If I'd known what was involved in buying a vehcile with this disabled Taxation nonsense, I can assure you I'd have walked away from the seller.

My tale might just help any one else who, like me, was totally unaware how problematic buying such a vehicle can be.

Post #620499 18th Jan 2022 9:47pm
Bl4ckD0g

Pointless. There is no loss to you in this case. Being delayed to put your private plates on, they will laugh at you. In law not knowing is never an excuse.

Did you not look at the bundle of paperwork including the V5c? I mean when it says the vehicle is disabled that should raise some questions.

Anyway my advice would be to just on move on

Post #620504 18th Jan 2022 10:38pm
DaveK

To a smart arse like you, it would raise a question, to some one like me who had no knowledge of the problems of disablity tax class, then No, it didn't .Now go away and be smug some where else.

Post #620506 18th Jan 2022 10:44pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

6 - 7 weeks to change the classification and send you a new logbook is a Censored take. If their processes were updated and worked efficiently it shouldn’t take any length of time at all.

Hopefully you can get it sorted and enjoy the car with minimal fuss.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #620511 18th Jan 2022 10:57pm
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

This is something I have to do as I am eligible for tax exemption, and I have always had to change the class on two cars at a time each time I change my car.

I have never had a problem with the DVLA and changing taxation class is very straight forward at a main post office. The paperwork has nearly always arrived well within two weeks despite them saying it could be up to 12. (it is about time this was able to be done online)

I appreciate you may not have known about changing taxation class but you really should have read the documentation ie the V5
Oh and I change my plates as well but only for my last car change.

I hope it gets sorted soon.

David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #620518 18th Jan 2022 11:33pm
DaveK

I read the V5 as I have stated but as I am not an expert on vehicle taxation, nor have I been aware of the problem of Disability tax exemption, there were no alarm bells. The dealer would surely have known but choose to say nothing in order not to loose the sale.

Post #620525 19th Jan 2022 1:14am
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Sorry but you are the one paying the duty on your car, you are responsible for ensuring that you pay the correct rate therefore you have to ensure that the class is correct.

There is no problem of Disability tax exemption, it works well for thousands of us.

Dealers rarely register cars to themselves so its quite possible that they didn't know, but its also not their responsibility to ensure the vehicle is taxed correctly, it is the purchaser that is responsible.

David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #620526 19th Jan 2022 2:15am
Bl4ckD0g

^^^ Exactly that...

And yes during the pandemic some processes that can't be wholly completed online (I would guess this is one due to the ability not to pay tax and certain checks need to be performed) take longer as staff is/was not always in their office and post need to be moved around.

The new plates for my daughters car took way longer than I'm used to but hey ho, it just vanity plates anyway and they were brand new.

DaveK wrote:
To a smart arse like you, it would raise a question, to some one like me who had no knowledge of the problems of disablity tax class, then No, it didn't .Now go away and be smug some where else.

Wow! Nice. Remember, real friend tell you the truth and don't just agree with you on everything...If you purpose was to just have an incoherent moan great, but if not then I think you have received some great advice on how to deal with it. In my opinion I would just move on instead of dwell on it as you will never get satisfaction out of this from any party involved.

Post #620527 19th Jan 2022 7:23am
DaveK

bigbo wrote:
Sorry but you are the one paying the duty on your car, you are responsible for ensuring that you pay the correct rate therefore you have to ensure that the class is correct.

There is no problem of Disability tax exemption, it works well for thousands of us.

Dealers rarely register cars to themselves so its quite possible that they didn't know, but its also not their responsibility to ensure the vehicle is taxed correctly, it is the purchaser that is responsible.

David

I've driven 160 mils to the showroom with my part exchange.. I've checked on line how much the new vehicle costs to tax each year ( hence my changing vehicles). I can not tax it until I take possession of it via exchange of monies and filling in of bothe V5C's. I check the vehicle is not stolen, listed as damaged, has no finance outstanding. We do this. I then do the retention on line. I then turn to taxing it to drive it home. Bingo- no way, its Disability and can't be done on line. Dealer is not prepared to hand me my money back and call the whole thing off. I then have no option but to drive an untaxed vehicle home. Why is any of this my fault ? I've taxed vehicles on line for years. I've never seen a govt campaign warning of the problems of buying Disabilty Tax vehicles or changing their tax class.

Post #620548 19th Jan 2022 10:25am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I knew the resident thrush would interject

Thrush irritating Censored

Good luck getting it sorted, one point iirc if you back date the tax date to the beginning of the month when you took ownership you should be ok to drive it

Good luck

Post #620551 19th Jan 2022 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>