Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Roof bars / rails help required please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BenRK

United Kingdom 
Roof bars / rails help required please

I have recently been spending an unhealthy amount of time delving in to the confusing world of range rover roof systems and I now require your help

I am looking for the most robust, secure and affordable way of attaching my tentbox lite to the roof of my 2010 L322. I have found many options but unsure which one is the most suitable

Option 1)
The eBay integrated rails and adjustable bars. These look good as the bars can be slid around to suit the load being carried and the load is spread out as all 6 mounting points are utilised. However I worry they are of poor quality and won't stand up to the weight of me and my roof tent

Option 2) Yakima whispbar
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel...GtnIgfsqrn

These look good and robust but worried that they mount with a single M8 bolt and also the spacing is quite short is attaching to the rear and centre points, my tent would have an uneven spacing as I would need to factor in the boot opening

Option 3)
Thule clamp system
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel...ccSDhjcbIg

These look good and strong but I've had no experience on the mounting system and unsure how sturdy a clamp system would actually be, I have fear of it simply coming loose and detaching from the car. Also the spacing clearly CMA be adjusted but the roof tent would be more central on the car

Does anyone have experience of using a tent with ant of these options or could suggest any alternatives?

Thank you

Post #626571 20th Mar 2022 9:50pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Not used with a roof tent but I have the thule clamp style roof bars and like you I was worried they may fly off. In reality they're really firmly attached and thule is a quality make.

Post #626613 21st Mar 2022 2:11pm
BenRK

United Kingdom 

Ended going for the Thule system. Extremely solid and sturdy fit.

Thanks for your reply above

Post #626924 24th Mar 2022 7:50pm
Nylands

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zambezi Silver
Thule Roof bars

Hi Ben
Checked that website for the Thule roof bars which states out of stock but pre-order available. if you got yours can you confirm you have got OK and that they do fit. The website illustration shows what looks to be a pin on the lower holding plate? That may be an error for our L322's but like to make sure before placing an order.
many thanks

Post #627091 27th Mar 2022 12:33pm
BenRK

United Kingdom 

I really do apologise I thought I replied to you.

I got mine from roofbox.co.uk
I needed to buy the 150cm bars, the Thule 1274 footpack specifically for the range rovers roof and then the feet themselves. Roof box.co
UK had everything minus the feet so I sourced a second hand set on eBay and it works perfectly. There's no pin or anything it all works by just gripping the roof

Post #627641 3rd Apr 2022 10:41am
Nylands

Roof Bars

Hi Ben

Many thanks for the photos and comment. They are the ideal items and have good clearance from the roof surface, as shown by your pictures. I'll give them ring re the stock position regarding a complete set as they advertise.

Thanks again
Dave

Post #627644 3rd Apr 2022 11:40am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I use the genuine LR (same as ebay type) sliding rail system. but, I have four bars. I leave them on all the time, and they aren't that bad on motorways. but for the record, I had 10 sheets of 18mm marine plywood ratchet strapped to them, at a steady 30mph. -twice! no creaks, bad reactions etc. a bit naughty, but so called 'rated for 90kg load' Is possibly understated. -and I stood on a sheet, on the roof, (17 stone, me) and passed all the sheets onto my garage roof.
these cars are so useful! not the best picture, but the only one to show them, currently on my phone.

Post #627681 3rd Apr 2022 9:28pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

The load limit is only for a dynamic load.

No problems with nearly quarter of a ton static on the roof in a roof tent.

Don't tell the wife I said that!! Whistle Rolling with laughter The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #627690 4th Apr 2022 7:48am
Nylands

Roof Bars

Hi Ben and all

Followed Bens lead and got in touch with the Roof Box company. They confirmed that they had some the kit but not the actual feet parts. Thanks to Ben I checked and found a foot set - 754's - on ebay and then ordered the bars and the other fitting requirement from the Roof Box link above.

Not fitted as yet but I am sure they will become very handy at some point. Just stuffing things in the back is not always the answer!

Thanks all
Dave Laughing

Post #628591 13th Apr 2022 2:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1