Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Dreaded Engine System Fault, HDC Fault, Transmission Fault!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martian

United Kingdom 
Dreaded Engine System Fault, HDC Fault, Transmission Fault!

2007 L322 TDV8 3.6

I managed to 'break' my TDV8 after several months of faultless driving!

My L322 fuel guage has never gone below 1/4 and I have got caught out and ran out of fuel on one previous occasion.

I decided to check the two fuel level sensors and duly lifted the rear carpet, (to expose the two fuel tank access portals), removed the pump and the remote sender units - just a little tricky to say the least!

I checked the senders and they were fine 50 Ohm to 1 Kilo Ohm range.

Upon refitting everything, (an even trickier job), the engine started first turn (as it always does), but shortly afterwards I experienced the dreaded 'gong of fear' as I was presented with: -

'Engine System Fault', 'HDC Fault - System Not Available', 'Transmission Fault - Limited Gears Only'.

She had never displayed any errors previously!

I ran some error scans with my iCarsoft LR 2.0 Scanner and it produced a number of module comm failures and errors with Steering Angle data!!

Last Friday evening, (whilst the storm raged all around us), I decided to review all of the error messages that I read from my scanner and decided to start with the 'Engine' errors as these 'real' codes continue to appear despite my erasing them time and time again.

P0480 - Fan 1 Control Circuit.
I decided to skip this as I do not believe it is a 'serious' fault but I will check the electric fan before the summer arrives!!!

P0088 Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too High
This error seemed to be more serious but it did not light the MIL light on the dash?

After some extensive searching on the Internet this fault can be related to both the fuel tank and pump assembly as well as the high pressure pump circuit feeding the injector rail.

And the L322 TDV8 3.6 service manual also refers back to these two fuel circuits in reference to the P0088 error code.

After trawling through a high number of P0088 related links I stumbled across a three year old post written by 'steveball' on THIS forum that was EXACTLY the same problem I had!

Just like I had done, (last weekend), Steveball had removed his fuel pump and sender units to see if he could resolve a faulty/inaccurate fuel guage problem.

Once he had checked everything, (and put the pump and both sender units back into the tank - a VERY tricky job), he noted that as soon as he started his engine it would produce the exact same errors that I was getting: -

Engine System Fault.
HDC Fault.
Transmission Fault.

And the vehicle would then drop into limp mode.

Cutting a long story short he monitored the fuel pressure and confirmed it was high and suspected a blocked filter and/or included fuel line.

As I had also removed my pump and both sender units I considered the possibility of crud or sediment getting drawn up into my fuel circuit and decided to order a fuel filter and a bottle of fuel additive/cleaner for good measure!

I had a ride over to Lincoln this morning, (on one of my bikes), to pick up the filter and additive and had I the filter replaced by 11am, (just as the rain started)!

I climbed into the car and turned the key on and off, (several times to prime the fuel circuit), and on the first attempt to crank she started first time - as she always does but, after about 5 seconds, I heard the dreaded 'bong' 'bong' and the three errors on the dash yet again!

But had I reset the codes from yesterday evening?

I grabbed my scanner and ran through every module and cleared everything error and I also did another steering angle calibration too and then turned off the ignition and locked the car.

I then opened the car and started her once again and decided to take her up the road - if only to get the additive circulating - but it did not drop into limp mode and no errors appeared on the dash!

My initial fear that I had damaged a module, (when I accidentally sliced through a wiring harness - even though thr ignition was off), was not the case and I had allowed that suspicion to detract me from the real fault!

I then took the vehicle for a 40 mile test drive, (to fill her up at the nearest supermarket fuel station), and she has behaved herself impeccably for the first time since last Sunday.

I am hoping that she will continue to do do once again.

May I thank SteveBall for posting his experience as it saved me a lot of time and heartache!!

As an aside the Wyns Diesel Extreme Additive appears to have had a positive effect to as my mpg has always been reported as 24mpg prior to this issue but after adding 1 bottle to a tank of fuel the mpg has risen to 26mpg!!!

The first time I have ever used a fuel additive on sny of my vehicles!!!

Regards,

Martin.

Post #624325 21st Feb 2022 12:53pm
conor

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

My apologies that I have not read the entire post.. but any time I see multiple errors coming up together I always think battery..

What is the battery healthy like, do you know?

Two simple things I suggest:

* Ensure battery is at a good level of charge. i.e. charge it with a charger, then check the voltage.
* Disconnect both the terminals positive and negative .. then touch both terminals together for about 10-15 seconds.. this can often have an effect of resetting everything.

Low voltage can wreak havoc on many cars with lot's of ECUs and the L322 is no different. I recently had this issue with my Mercedes. Simply disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes fixed it.

Worth a try.

(I'm sure a more experienced member of the forum will be along shortly) (07) 2007 3.6 TDV8 L322 - 135k miles.
(05) 2006 MY Supercharged L322 - Zambezi Silver on Jet Black - 162k miles.

** Smiles per gallon - never forget **

Post #624334 21st Feb 2022 4:12pm
Martian

United Kingdom 

Conor,

Many thanks for your comments.

I am aware of the Range Rovers 'sensitivity' to low battery voltage, (I replaced my battery last autumn), poor earth's and corroded connectors in the footwells and anywhere that is liable to get wet, (water, coffee, tea, etc)!!

All of the above will cause 'spurious' module errors across all of the communication busses - which appear to be totally illogical and totally unrelated to one another!

I guess I have that pleasure to look forward to!!

Post #624365 21st Feb 2022 8:23pm
nick4275

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

I agree totally with Conor,

Check check and check again all battery connections !!

I've had this multiple times and its always been a connection issue. I think the clue here is:
No faults when you started and loads of faults after you've finished.
It's unlikely your list of fault codes have all appeared at once - and transmission and brake faults are a dead giveaway its a connection issue.

Best of luck !

Post #624638 24th Feb 2022 3:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1