Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > V8 - mad or genius.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kevantlin

United Kingdom 
V8 - mad or genius.

Ok so I have ordered a 510, but really should it be the V8.

Never had a big powerful engine before. May be the last chance to order one before the world goes completely green.

Obviously have loads of time to change my spec 😀

Post #624824 26th Feb 2022 4:18pm

United Kingdom 

While on holiday last week I drove a PHEV as my hire car. This is the first time I have driven a PHEV and although it was not a RR I suspect from people I know who own the L405 PHEV, the experience was similar. It was a BMW four cylinder PHEV so not a direct comparison with the L460 six but again, I suspect the basic experience is similar. These are my findings:

While slowly cruising about town I loved the silent smooth progress in EV mode. I really thought, wow this is the way to go, I must switch my order from the 530 V8 to the 510 PHEV.

But then in more spirited driving about town I thought the power was a bit lacking in EV mode. Also the battery was gone in very short time with the A/C on and some bursts of heavy acceleration. In Barcelona where you stop every 100m for a red light and then accelerate to the next and sit stationary for ages, it just ripped through the battery charge.

OK, so let’s try hybrid mode. More power but the way it comes in is not nice. In town you put your foot down to go for a gap, the electric motor does its best at first then the petrol kicks in with a bit of hesitation. More worryingly is that it kicks in and gives you big revs quite soon for a brief period and then cuts out again when you hit the brakes. On a cold engine this can’t be good for longevity and is not a nice calming experience. I am sure it would be more muted in a RR but watching the rev counter flying around on a cold engine would not make me relaxed. The hesitation is something I have heard L405 PHEV owners complain about.

Out of town, on the move constantly, and the electric motor gives some nice instant torque to boost to the engine. We still have the constant on and off of the engine under load and braking but it is less noticeable. Unexpectedly, it seems to work better out of town than in town. However, if you do any driving that involves a lot of acceleration and no braking the battery is gone in no time and you are down on power. For example going up a constant mountain climb.

Bottom line, after a brief PHEV experience, it’s not for me. There are some good things but the overall package is a compromise. I would rather wait for a full electric one with a decent range. PHEV is a middle ground which has too many drawbacks so I will stick with the V8 for now. I can understand that tax benefits, fuel savings and residuals will tip the balance the other way for some. But for all round driving experience and pleasure for someone who likes to put their foot down it’s still V8 all the way. Thumbs Up

Post #624851 26th Feb 2022 7:08pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Another point to consider is weight. The P530 EU weight is 2585kg, while the P440e is 2770kg and the P510e 2810kg (P400 is 2454kg, D350 is 2505kg) (all swb). 2800kg is about the weight of a 322 TDV8 or 5.0SC. Anyone that has driven 322 and 405 engine for engine will know what a difference the extra weight makes.

As LR itself says, the PHEVs are for urban drivers who have their own charging infrastructure, and there may be some tax advantages. But I won't be getting one unless there is no alternative. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #624893 27th Feb 2022 11:09am
kevantlin

United Kingdom 

I wonder what the real world MPG will be of the V8 ?

You make a good point about the weight.

Post #624896 27th Feb 2022 11:26am
CS

LR claim it is more efficient than the 5.0SC. Based on the 2015 brochure the 405 5.0SC weighs "from" 2330 kg. That may be a dry weight rather than the EU weight quoted for the 460. In the X5 M50i the 530 engine seems to be rated at about 24mpg combined. The X5 might be lighter than the RRs. So I'd expect it to be about the same as the 405 5.0SC. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #624901 27th Feb 2022 1:11pm
kevantlin

United Kingdom 

Thank you. That MPG you quoted is a lot better than I assumed (compared to reports of the new defender VCool

Post #624903 27th Feb 2022 2:23pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

I will wait for the Hydrogen version Whistle Whistle Whistle 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #624916 27th Feb 2022 4:33pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

CS wrote:
Another point to consider is weight. The P530 EU weight is 2585kg, while the P440e is 2770kg and the P510e 2810kg (P400 is 2454kg, D350 is 2505kg) (all swb). 2800kg is about the weight of a 322 TDV8 or 5.0SC. Anyone that has driven 322 and 405 engine for engine will know what a difference the extra weight makes.

As LR itself says, the PHEVs are for urban drivers who have their own charging infrastructure, and there may be some tax advantages. But I won't be getting one unless there is no alternative.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's a Sunday night and I've had a few glasses of wine with dinner, so I may have completely misunderstood your point, but is it fair to compare an L322 against an L460 PHEV, solely based on weight - Surely there must be other further improvements which will also aid the newer model.

Also, the difference in weight between a P530 and P440e is only that of two greedy adults (I include myself in that). If you're not carrying any greedy rear passengers, what's the difference??

As for LR saying "the PHEVs are for urban drivers who have their own charging infrastructure', aren't they simply highlighting who will be the most beneficial client base?

Post #624934 27th Feb 2022 7:44pm
CS

Agreed as to what LR are saying.

The 322 reference is just an analogy as plenty of us will have had the experience of (say) driving a 322 TDV8 and 405 SDV8 back to back. The 405 felt significantly quicker to me, despite having only marginally more power. There is no comparison beyond that, not least as 460s are not available to try yet. And the appeal of RRs is about many more things than speed, if it were all about that one could buy a Bentayga, Urus, DBX or the like. The instant nature of the battery power may compensate for the extra weight to some extent too.

As the dealer has sold out the 2022 allocation and there is a waiting list for 2023 there will be plenty of time for me to try different engines in demonstrators before there is any chance of choosing one. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #625000 28th Feb 2022 3:31pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

aja500 wrote:

As for LR saying "the PHEVs are for urban drivers who have their own charging infrastructure', ?

There is a new Citroen EV coming to the U.K. market The Ami

Just £ 7,000.00 Range, diddly squat. If I was still living in london, then that’s my run around choice & a big FFRR for weekends in the country!

https://www.carsite.co.uk/news/article/202...date/18956 Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #625091 1st Mar 2022 3:52pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've ordered one of them, Bill Laughing

They're quoting around £6000 - £6500 so figured it'd be a laugh.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #625098 1st Mar 2022 4:33pm

United Kingdom 

They tested one of those on 5th gear. They nearly rolled it, it was so unstable. A push bike was faster.

Post #625126 1st Mar 2022 9:23pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

They did… but a push bike requires effort and at this time of year that’s far to much like hard work! Laughing 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #625127 1st Mar 2022 9:27pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

dhallworth wrote:
I've ordered one of them, Bill Laughing

They're quoting around £6000 - £6500 so figured it'd be a laugh.

David.

Well done! Thumbs Up Brave or foolish or both Rolling with laughter . I believe the test cars are here in June. I will be in France before then & will take a look and report back. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #625167 2nd Mar 2022 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1