Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Thinking about a FFRR TDV8.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well you can see my car history below. Madly miss my E34 3.8 M5 6 speed.

I nearly bought a 2009 RS6 V10 Avant when I bought the 4.4 TDV8, but decided I liked to sit high up. I’d love to say I have a few Porsches, but the only ones I have are in Gran Turismo 7….

I had a small loan to skip the 3.6. Didn’t want the worry of a near 3 ton paperweight if it went pop. Plenty of folk have no issues, I get that, but I didn’t need the worry. The 4.4 is the longest I’ve ever kept a car.

I wasn’t a massive fan of the later front end when it came out, and still think the original 2002 car better represents the old RR Classic, but have found that darker colours tend to hide some of the big front bumper look….

Difficult one… save up for the 4.4 or get a cheaper L322 to see if you like them… then move up the ladder if you do?

Or hold out for the Tonga green mint example…..

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #627292 30th Mar 2022 8:55am
KitTheRam

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

As ever the previous owners seem as important as the car itself.

I think it would be hard to say no to the perfect spec car, a handsome paper weight at the very least!

Post #627303 30th Mar 2022 10:18am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

With GDPR rules meaning dealers shredding all but the basic service book records it makes sense to buy from someone here. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #627304 30th Mar 2022 10:24am
KitTheRam

Yes, another reason I joined the forum.

Post #627305 30th Mar 2022 10:27am
JayGee

There are 2 essential accessories for L322 ownership - this forum and a GAP IID diagnostic tool. Of particular value is this forums search tool as it's very difficult to find a question that's not already been answered. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #627306 30th Mar 2022 10:30am
Treebor99

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

Sounds to me like you won't be happy until you scratch that itch.
So go for it, you've got experience of buying, buy the best you can, probably a good idea to buy one that's had the Turbo's EGR's etc done.
I'm sure you're always careful to not push a car until it's warmed up and vice versa, give it 10 seconds or more of idling after stopping before turning the engine off - allows time for the turbos to slow down whilst still getting oil.

I have the 4.4 TDV8, OMG, it's just such a lovely car to drive.
I had a Disco 3 before, the FFRR is a different league.

In my D3 I had a Volkswagen T5 commercial van change lanes on M25 - turned straight into my rear nearside quarter.
LOUD metal crunching, glass breaking - horrible. I carried on straight, didn't panic. teenagers in the back startled by the noise even with headphones.
The T5 did a 360 pirouette nearly taking out other cars.
pulled over expecting to see my rear quarter completely trashed.
Amazingly it had alot of paint and plastic transfer onto my D3 that all polished off. My nearside rear wheel took the brunt of the impact though tbf.
The D3 plastic wheel arche was well bruised - but over time that bruising disappeared! Honestly there was no lasting damage to the D3, not a scratch!
The T5 was a complete mess, bumper, wing, door mirror headlight, all smashed!

The D3 wasn't even pushed off line - it just kept going straight, even with a T5 attempting the american police PIT manoeuvre!

So when I came to replace the D3 there was only ever D4 or FFRR in the running.

Follow your heart - we all only get one shot at life, experience everything. Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough (and have deep pockets|)
Current cars, 2011 FF 4.4 TVD8; Audit TT 1.8T convertible.

Post #627324 30th Mar 2022 12:49pm
JayGee

Definitely don't drive hard until warmed up but don't go by the dash temp gauge as that's just the coolant temperature and it's the oil temperature that's critical so I'd say 10 mins after your dash gauge has reached temp is safer. Also there is no need to idle turbo's before shutdown on modern cars as they spin down quickly, have watercooled jackets and use synthetic oils which don't 'coke'. Last time I needed to do this was on my old early Saab 900 turbo where after a run if you opened the bonnet in the dark you could see the turbo glowing red. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #627325 30th Mar 2022 1:05pm
KitTheRam

Some great advice, amazed by the number of you that have taken the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Let’s just say I have plenty of experience in getting cars safely into their operating window!

I don’t think I would go anywhere near a car that didn’t have proof of work with regards to the Turbo’s and EGR valves.

Another question I have (and I guess has been discussed previously) is future values. With secondhand cars having gone up (noticeably with the L405’s it seems) what do people think the future holds for big diesels? I guess cars bottom out and perhaps the L322 has already?

Last edited by KitTheRam on 30th Mar 2022 3:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #627334 30th Mar 2022 3:02pm
Treebor99

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

"Some great advice, amazed by the number of you that have taken the time to respond. Much appreciated."

Just like our cars, this Forum is in a different class! Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough (and have deep pockets|)
Current cars, 2011 FF 4.4 TVD8; Audit TT 1.8T convertible.

Post #627337 30th Mar 2022 3:12pm
JayGee

Unnecessary quote removed

I hope the late 4.4 and 5.0 SC become future classics but I wouldn't buy one as an investment esp the 4.4 which could be taxed off the road in the not so distant future. Rationally prices should soon drop and drop hard as not many will see a car that needs £150 to fill up being particularly sensible to buy but then rationality never comes into L32 ownership. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #627340 30th Mar 2022 3:39pm
KitTheRam

As this would be an unnecessary purchase I am in no rush, be interested to see how much the 4.4’s drops in price over the next year. £600 tax (or more) and a possible £2 a litre for diesel in the near future means the Range Rover will go full circle - a car for those who are lucky enough to afford it, and more to the point, maintain it. But I guess that’s always been the case to a point.

Post #627374 30th Mar 2022 7:17pm
btiratsoo

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I have just been through a similar experience and can only echo what has been said already. I searched high and low for the "right" one. Originally I wanted a low mileage 2012 4.4TDV8 to replace my 3 series daily. To cut a long story short, with the budget I had, I couldn't afford to buy one and still have money left over as a just in case fund. After viewing 14, I cancelled my search.

A year later, the search began again, this time with a lower budget - £6.5-£7.5k - and an idea to find the best looked after machine I could, regardless of mileage. I found a 3.6TDV8 with 5 owners, 156,000 miles in immaculate condition in the spec I wanted. The icing on the cake was the last receipt, well into 4 figures, was proof that both turbos had been done, EGR valves had been done, all fluids done etc etc etc, they had even bought a genuine JLR battery.

I guess my ten pence worth of advice would be, history, history, history, condition and history. Mileage and owner numbers started to seem to be not as much of a concern after looking at so many. If there is paperwork and receipts showing what's been done, you're on to a winner.

Ultimately though, buying any used car is always a judgement call and at some point we have to take the plunge and just get on with it. Have a little cash left over for any emergent issues, but find one you like and get it bought. Once you have one, you will wonder why you haven't had one previously! The L322, regardless of engine/ spec etc, is simply a wonderful place to be.

Good luck and keep us posted. This forum is a superb resource for all things RR. You won't go wrong hanging out here. Current vehicles:
1944 Fordson Standard
1982 Land Rover Series 3 88" petrol
1984 Ford 4610
2009 3.6 TDV8 Vogue
2017 CLS Shooting Brake

Post #627401 30th Mar 2022 11:03pm
KitTheRam

Yes, think you are right. If I can find something with a paperwork mountain for under £10k it will give me a bit more confidence. I spotted this (which is now sold) was not in budget or my ideal colour combo but my ideal spec (minus the chrome mirror caps!) and condition! Guess there are not too many like this left… https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Land-Rover...635-2958-0

Post #627430 31st Mar 2022 9:21am
KitTheRam

I imagine it’s not the done thing to advertise a non Range Rover car on hear but my black (with cream leather) 1995 w124 coupe is now for sale. If interested to find out more I can send you a link. It will help fund a possible L322, so sort of relevant to this forum!

Post #627499 31st Mar 2022 11:00pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

JMC wrote:
Sell the W124 and get a decent 4.4 TDV8 L322. Unless, of course, it's a 500E! Whistle

KitTheRam wrote:
It will help fund a possible L322, so sort of relevant to this forum!

So it's not a 500E then! Very Happy The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #627514 1st Apr 2022 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>