Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Cheeky :censored:
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Golden age

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black
Cheeky :censored:

Now I know 2nd hand car sales men ( people ) will always, in the majority of cases be charlatans and will tell you anything for a sale .

But this time I caught the approved used dealer out also !

Bought a 2019 approved used autobiography last week and a few days into ownership the management light came on .( It happens !) .

Took into my local landcover (Sytner ) and they said it needed a sensor and will replace under warranty .Whilst it was there they did a quick visual check and informed me that it needed discs and pads on the front .

I replied " it can't do its just had its used approved 165 point check last week , of which the pads and discs are checked and if the pads are less than 6mm they get replaced "

"No sir the pads are 2mm and the discs are pitted " came the reply form the service tech .

I replied "interesting , leave it with me Ill chase it up with the supplying dealer ".

Rang up the supplying dealer JCT600 Doncaster , and the reply came "

"Are you sure you've not being using heavy braking sir ? "

I asked " So you expect a set of pads to loose 5mm by using heavy breaking in 1 week and 650 miles ?"

The reply came "it could be a fault with the braking system "

My Reply " so why wasn't the fault picked up on the 165 point check ?"

Silence .... Then "errm could you bring it in so we could have look at it ?"

My answer "No...a) you are far away b) I don't trust you .I would like my local dealer to replace and I will send you the invoice "
The reply came " we wouldn't support payment of that invoice "

My question is what would be my options in this situation ? has anyone been in a similar position ( it was a complete fluke that my local landcover checked the pads , and have supplied in writing that pads are 2mm and discs are pitted ) .

Thanks

Post #630160 30th Apr 2022 10:32am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Tell the supplying dealer they have to honour the warranty and, either...

1. Collect the car and leave you with a replacement vehicle while the work is done

or 2. agree to your local people doing the work.

If they won't do either, contact this email....... jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com. When I had a continuing problem with my 2018 car's infotainment system a lady called Helen was very helpful and got it sorted!!

Hope this helps in some way, but I can imagine your frustration!! All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #630161 30th Apr 2022 10:57am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

That is an annoying situation, but the silver lining is that you found out soon enough to claim against JCT 600.

You won't be able to make JCT 600 pay for Sytner's work, for practical as well as legal reasons.

The practical reason is that JCT would use their own staff at no extra cost and the parts would be at trade price, whereas Sytner would charge at retail rates for both.

The key point however is the legal one. Discs (assuming not subject to a manufacturing defect) and pads are wear items not covered by warranty, so your claim is not a warranty claim. It is a claim for breach of contract, on the basis that the car was not as described, in that it did not meet the AU terms. Your contract is with JCT so you can only claim against them. Have a look at the relevant sections of the Consumer Rights Act (easily found via Google) so you are clear as to your remedies.

In an ideal world JCT would collect the car, fix it, and return it to you. Under the CRA they have to fix without undue delay and inconvenience to you, but it is not their fault you don't live that near to them (say you lived in Lerwick, you could not reasonably expect them to go there) and so they ought to lend you a car while yours is not available, but that would be about it.

Good luck. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #630184 30th Apr 2022 1:59pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I’ve had a dealer pay for another ones work. They’ll do it if they know they’re in the wrong and you’re too far away. The 165 point check is a joke. They literally leave everything too the warranty company (brakes obvs excluded from this). I’d escalate and threaten return if they don’t settle the bill. My Previous RR's!

2008 TDV8 Vogue
2006 TD6 Vogue
2007 TDV8 Vogue
2007 RRS (I know, it doesn't count!)
2005 4.4 Vogue on LPG
2005 TD6 Vogue
2003 4.4 Vogue
2001 4.6 HSE
2000 2.5 DHSE
1999 4.6 HSE
1997 4.6 HSE on LPG
1995 2.5 DSE
1989 3.9 EFI classic
1988 3.5 EFI classic

Post #630212 30th Apr 2022 6:23pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Don’t “Approved Used” LR’s come with a years warranty?

I’d explain the situation to the dealer principal of Synter and ask him to sort it out.

If that fails, contact LR as above.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #630215 30th Apr 2022 6:30pm
Minghis

United Kingdom 

There's a reason they don't give you a copy of the 165 point check sheet... I doubt very much any dealer actually does these checks and if they do they wouldn't fix anything unless it was critical.

If mine was done (on a 1 month old car from a main dealer) they would surely have noticed a key feature of the car simply did not work.

Post #630342 2nd May 2022 6:45am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Ours was in a Md 6 months after a 165 point check, turns out the pads were at 80% but the discs were below the service limit! (They video’s the measurements) So must have been borderline when it was done, and likely the pads were shot and just had them changed to satisfy the bare minimum of the check if that.

Can’t trust anyone…. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #630352 2nd May 2022 9:23am
Polarbear

United Kingdom 

Thought for the day, Kia do 7 yr warranty transferable.

LR did a 1 yr on a £100k used SVA at 2 yrs old. That should be the warning to all including me.

Post #630465 2nd May 2022 10:31pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

fair point..

here's another thought for the day,

would you rather drive a Kia or a FF.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #630475 3rd May 2022 6:26am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Doesn’t help you out but nice to see the erring dealer named up front for a change. Thumbs Up

Post #630482 3rd May 2022 7:59am
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Polarbear wrote:

LR did a 1 yr on a £100k used SVA at 2 yrs old. That should be the warning to all including me.

Here’s a thing. LR sell new cars with a 3 year warranty, so why is a 2 year old AU car sold with a 1 year warranty when the car is still within the original warranty? Surely the AU warranty kicks in after the original warranty has expired?

Post #630575 3rd May 2022 8:02pm
MonkeyMan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

stan wrote:
fair point..

would you rather drive a Kia or a FF..

Not even a Kia - wife just took delivery of an electric MG5. Not only is it remarkably good, and a lot better than I expected, but I find myself taking that out most old the time rather than my FF and chuckling to myself about how little it costs to get anywhere.

Post #630595 4th May 2022 9:13am
recordman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Andy S wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Here’s a thing. LR sell new cars with a 3 year warranty, so why is a 2 year old AU car sold with a 1 year warranty when the car is still within the original warranty? Surely the AU warranty kicks in after the original warranty has expired?

I raised this point with my AU dealer when I bought mine at 2.5 years old and I asked for the 1 yr AU warranty to commence upon the expiry of the manufacturer's warranty. Response was negative and when asked why, the salesman shrugged his shoulders and gave me a tuff t*ts expression. 2017 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #630598 4th May 2022 9:32am
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

stan wrote:
fair point..

here's another thought for the day,

would you rather drive a Kia or a FF..

If it was the EV6 GT, then that's a tough call.

Post #631066 9th May 2022 12:01pm
Golden age

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Just an update on the original point .( apologies for the delayed response been stateside for the past few weeks ) .

I confronted the supplying dealer JCT Doncaster and they asked me to bring it in to look at .As I was in the area I agreed.

Upon inspection they insisted that although it wasn't the stated 6mm as required in the terms and conditions it certainly wasn't the 2mm that Sheffield were claiming it to be .They also invited me into the bay to look for myself )

As a good will gesture they would meet half way for the cost of repairs ( Cheeky Censored I thought to myself , if I took you to the small claims court you wouldn't have stood a chance ) anyway I thanked them and said I would be in touch in the future .
( I don't think I would ever return to them now that my trust had been broken ) .

I then decided to take up Sytner Sheffield on their written diagnosis of the rear pads being at 2mm and the discs pitted .
They came back to me that their master technician was the one who inspected the car and stood by their assertion that the discs were at 2mm .They asked me to come in and have the car inspected again .

I explained that I had better things to do than waste two hours having my car inspected by someone who clearly should have gone or indeed needed to go to specsavers !

I then asked whether it was usual practice for a master tech to be inspecting brake wear ?
I also asked why they didn't send a video as is common practice these days in most dealerships ?

To both questions they answer was I don't know sir .

In conclusion I am disappointed ( although not surprised ) at the underhand behaviour of these two main dealers but I am more disappointed with Sheffield for the blatant lies they told and then when caught out refused to acknowledge their mistake / dishonesty .

From now on I shall be taking my custom down the road to Chesterfield !

Post #637528 21st Jul 2022 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>