Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2008 Vogue SE Steering Lock Fault.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ScottR

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
2008 Vogue SE Steering Lock Fault.

Can anyone help with this issue.... 2008 Range Rover TDV8. Parked & locked the car, went away for about 2 hours. On returning i unlocked car with the remote, got in, tried to start car but key wouldnt turn. Thinking somehow maybe i hadnt quite inserted the key properly i removed it, put in again & had to jiggle it then car started. Drove perfectly fine although for some strange reason when i looked at clock it was almost 2 hours slow. 10mins later i stopped at shop, locked car with key (no idea why but it unlocks with remote but doesnt lock with remote), went in to shop. On walking back towards the car i noticed the brake lights were on which had never happened before. The doors would not unlock via remote so i inserted the key, jumped in & when tried to turn the key, for all it turned it was as if the battery was totally dead. Strangely, it was dark outside & i noticed when i turned ignition on the brake lights went off, however i also noticed although the lights were off the headlight switch was illuminated. Eventually got the car recovered home & disconnected the battery as the brake lights remained on even with the key out & it was only at this time i also noticed the steering lock didnt come on when key was removed. Searched online & seems other have also experienced exactly the same thing with 2 different opinions on the cause of the fault. Firstly some insist its the ignition switch so i ordered one, fitted but it made absolutely no difference. The key still needs a bit of persuasion to turn then the car starts once but as soon jiggle key again & turn its totally dead but if disconnect battery for 10 mins then try again, jiggle key & car starts once. As such i resorted to the second fix i have read online which states the issue is the steering column mechanism has failed. Ordered a 'fully operational' column from a breakers. I was concerned when it came in the unlocked position, however i fitted it to see if the lock worked when powered up but exactly the same problem persists. I ended up returning it as faulty but maybe it wasnt because I ordered another from a different breakers which also arrived unlocked & didnt lock when fitted to the car. I contacted the company i purchased it from who state the column was tested & 'fully operational'. They further stated they deliberately disconnect the battery with the key in the on position so the column does not lock, no idea why.... I know its long winded but if i dont fully explain the symptoms / what i have replaced, someone will just say its the ignition switch or column at fault.... Anyway, having replaced the 2 common parts that fail, the ignition switch being brand new & the column apparently 'fully operational' (well 2 actually) yet exactly the same problem persists, brake lights stay on with key out of ignition, no steering lock noise when insert or remove key, key hard to turn but get one start after 10 min battery disconnect.... Can anyone please advise if rather than simply plug & play, does the replacement steering column need to be coded to the car in some way before the steering lock will function?? Or can anyone suggest what the fault could be if no coding is required?? The remote key has already had a brand new battery soldered in to see if it cured the remote not locking the car but will unlock it so its not that. The ignition switch is brand new so its not that. Unless 2 replacement steering columns are both faulty, is there coding required or can someone offer another likely culprit for the issue? Thanks

Post #631190 10th May 2022 1:45pm
Googs

Australia 

Hey Scott, did you get a reason /fix for the steering column fix? Sounds like a ecu coding problem ?

Post #633704 5th Jun 2022 12:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1