Home > Technical (L322) > 2003 Can bus problems...possibly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black
2003 Can bus problems...possibly

Hi All,

I've got a 2003 td6 and 2003 v8 range rovers. A couple of weeks ago, the v8 developed an air suspension problem, which was down to the air compressor (easy fix), but to help figure this out, I stole the pump from the td6. The td6 air suspension stayed level, but after a bit of moving around the driveway it presumably decided it wasnt level and let the air out of the front. That in itself wasnt a problem so I put the air suspension compressor back in the td6 and tried to use my hawkeye to clear the faults (after trying the steering wheel lock to lock trick).

This is where the problem started. Unfortunately, the hawkeye wont now connect to the air suspension ecu, the abs or steering angle, but will the engine ecu. Thinking that the Air suspension ecu was at fault, I tried the ecu back in the v8, with the hawkeye and yes, that communicates with it just fine.

I possibly led myself up the garden path a bit, but wondered if something had gone wrong with the hawkeye, so I bought an additional vin licence for my gapIID tool (which I use on the vCool but that reports that it is unable to communicate with the medium or high speed can bus.

Couple of things I've done:

disconnected the steering angle sensor
pulled fuses for the abs and instrument cluster
disconnected the entire audio system
disconnected (again) the air suspension pump
disconnected the bcu and lcm
Checked the fuses/maxi fuses etc.

None of this makes either the hawkeye or Gap tool communicate with anything to do with the air suspension and there is no lights on the control panel knobs either.

Prior to all this, the car was working fine - the air suspension worked quickly and efficiently as it should.

Has anyone any ideas as to what I could try next?

Thanks in advance,

Neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #645439 12th Oct 2022 1:42pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Try a battery disconnect, if that doesn't work ask Gap for advise.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #645469 12th Oct 2022 11:36pm
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Just to put this one to bed a little bit, what I discovered was the Hawkeye and GAP tool reporting unable to communicate with the medium and high speed canbus. I spoke to GAP and they were adamant that the diagnostic port was not connecting properly and pointed me to the video/images on re-bending the diag port pins, but try as I might, this didnt make any difference, and I had my suspicions that this was not my issue.

I had pretty much every ecu disconnected, other than stuff to allow the ignition to turn on and I still couldnt get any comms to it and this caused a real headache.

I then spotted a buried thread somewhere about headlight ECU's. When I looked at the diag port wiring, there is a direct connection to the right and left HEadlight ECU, so I went to have a look. On ours, only the drivers side headlight had a connection for an ecu (and was connected), so I removed it and low and behold it all worked and I got all my communication back!.

After I'd reset everything and the air suspension came back up, I re-plugged in the headlight ecu and I still have connection with no problems.

My thinking is that in the headlight ecus must be on a fuse that HAD to be in for me to use the ignition, and that it'd caused a hard fault that it couldnt clear unless it was unplugged.

Anyway, for anyone else with this problem - dont rely on the fuses, or the levelling ecu under the carpet - actually physically disconnect the headlights and see if that helps.

Neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #645912 18th Oct 2022 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1