Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > MAF Sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black
MAF Sensors

Hi all, just after some thoughts my car is 2012 4.4TDV8 and i am just going through some preventative maintenance. My MAF sensors appear to be original and are still functioning but i would like to replace for new ones. I am thinking big name like Bosch or an OE part. however prices vary wildly.

Bosh part i can get for £88
OE part (Rimmer Bro's) MFR unknown £90
Original part (MFr not known) £220

does any one know who make the LR part?
I even found one that includes the air temp sensor (None of the others including the genuine LR part mention this) but that was £212 excluding the housing.

Any one have any experience on replacing these MAF sensors? 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #634595 14th Jun 2022 11:26am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Do they not have the manufacturer stamp on?

JLR don't make any parts and electronics are usually Bosch, as a punt.

But, why replace MAF sensors needlessly? They stay pretty clean and the IID tool should confirm they're functioning correctly.

As a bit of preventative, I'd focus my efforts on changing the MAP sensor which is prone to getting particularly mucky, plus clean up the throttle body. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #634646 14th Jun 2022 10:01pm
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

I have 2 Bosch MAF sensors for sale on ebay. I replaced them when tracking down another issue. While they are not brand new, they are genuine, work perfectly and nearly new as you will be able to see from the photos.

I am not sure if I am allowed to put the ebay listing on here so if you are interested please PM me. Stan - if they sell I will send 25% to FFRR.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324860934762 2012 L322 4.4 TDV8 AB low mileage - a peach
1986 V8 Defender 90 County ex-Swiss Army - Red everything....

My preferred Independent: Roy Hardy. R & B AUTOS LTD, 20 Brook Road, Wimborne, Dorset, BH21 2BH (Ex LR Chief Technician)

Post #634659 15th Jun 2022 12:22am
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

MAFs very rarely fail, they are too simple.

The MAF used in the L322 is just a long piece of high resistance metal wire (folded up inside a small rectangular air passage) that is kept at a constant temperature ~200°C. When air moves past it it cools down and a simple electronic circuit turns up the power to get it back to temperature. A second circuit reports the power level with 0V = none up to maximum power = 5V.

Occasionally it runs at full power for a few seconds to get hot enough to burn off any dust or oil, etc that has got past the air filter. More modern MAFs digitize the analog signal and report via the Can bus, but in the L322 a dedicated signal goes to the engine computer(s).

This one is really a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #634664 15th Jun 2022 7:04am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

Thanks for all your comments really appreciated.
to answer some of your questions about why replace them, i have done this on every car i have owned current car is 12 years old and yes they still function within spec. But they will not be working at there best after 12 years of a tiny wire constantly being heated and cooled it will be degraded.
On my other cars when i have changed MAF, Air Temp & MAP sensors i have typically noted a better running engine and a small increase in MPG 2-3 miles typically.
Air intake is routinely cleaned when i do my annual big service this also makes a difference to how the unit runs. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #634670 15th Jun 2022 8:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1