Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Anyone fitted LR deployable sidesteps to a 2017 L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
logiedurno

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey
Anyone fitted LR deployable sidesteps to a 2017 L405

I have all the necessary parts to fit dss to my 2017 Range Rover l405 which uses a different loom from previous years and plugs into the vplgt0204 module which controls both the edt and the dss. Before fitting the sidestep motors to the underside, I thought I would wire them up and plug them into the loom while it’s loose to check the motors activated when the doors were opened - they didn’t. I have a 30amp fuse in position 39 on the fuse board and the online fitting instructions from Land Rover seem pretty basic and straightforward suggesting it is just plug and play. I didn’t disconnect the battery as I didn’t want to lose all my settings and I’m wondering if the system needs to reset to recognise that the motors are connected but thought I would ask first if anyone else had fitted dss to a 2017 onwards car and whether they had encountered a similar issue?

Post #634879 17th Jun 2022 8:03pm
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I'm not sure if this any help, but when i fitted my dss to my l322 i did disconnect the battery and once everything was in place bar fitting the steps, i had to press the button once when the battery was reconnected and then turn the ignition on but don't start it then hold the button in for 5 seconds which in turn deploys the steps ready for fitting. I'm not sure if this is the same for L405 models, you can actually download the manual somewhere online but can't think where. However, saying that another guy on here fitted steps to his 2010 model L322 and found that the wires in the plugs going to the module were in the wrong place as his steps went in reverse, as in door opens, steps go in, shut door steps go out. I have actually read somewhere else that sometimes the module could be the wrong part number so worth checking you have the right module part number for the L405. And if I'm not much mistaken, there are 2 different looms for the L405 just like the L322 which i found out the hard way. Sorry i can't be much help on this but giving it a go with my info may just help.

Post #634882 17th Jun 2022 9:20pm
logiedurno

Thanks for the info. I know there are at least three different looms for the L405 dss depending on the model years. I have the correct figment loom for the car and the correct module so I will have a go at disconnecting the battery as per the schematic instructions ( they don’t specify having to let the ecu know there are sidesteps fitted which they do for some models so I presumed it should be plug and play) my vehicle has the infotainment screen so again, I don’t know if that would automatically update without plugging into a Land Rover sdd laptop to tell the vehicle it has steps fitted. Don’t you just love technologically!

Post #634885 17th Jun 2022 9:32pm
ciprian

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Hello guys,
I recently fitted mu deployable tow bar on a 2017 model.It didn’t work and it didn’t had the controls on the infotainment until was programed.Hope this will help

Post #635689 28th Jun 2022 8:59pm
logiedurno

who did you use to do the programming?

Post #635696 28th Jun 2022 10:17pm
ciprian

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I managed to find a good guy close to where I live,in Essex.It cost me £200

Post #635697 28th Jun 2022 10:40pm
logiedurno

Update… I fitted the side steps myself and had to get the car plugged into the Land Rover Pathfinder system to get it to recognise that it had the motors and ecu now fitted to the vehicle (done by Mike at MMP in Dundee - absolutely the best place to take your Land Rover if it needs work done to it) tbh, fitting the sidesteps as an aftermarket option takes a Censored of work. I’m used to doing all sorts of jobs on vehicles and have a really well equipped workshop with 2 and 4 post lifts but fitting dss to a 2017 onwards car is definitely harder than pre 2017 models. If you are careful and have a good oscillating saw (I have a Fein multi tool which was excellent) then you do not have to completely remove the side under trays to cut them to accommodate the step motors and brackets but you need to be able to think in 3D and be very careful not to cut into any air or fuel lines! Took me a full two days to fit but I really took my time and made sure I checked and rechecked and rechecked again before carrying out any procedure. A lot of time and I mean a LOT of time was spent researching and reading and viewing anything available on how to do the job beforehand. Nothing was available that I could find reference to fitting steps to 2017+ model years so some things just had to be overcome as the job progressed. Now it’s done though, I’m very pleased with the results but I know now why Land Rover would takes £1000’s to do the job!

Post #636062 4th Jul 2022 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1