Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Bleeding brakes advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I don't think you're right there Phoenix. Sometimes air can get trapped in the abs block which needs activating to get the air out. Doing the procedure isn't diluting the fluid it is replacing it and if you used 3 litres you are doing something wrong.

Post #635895 2nd Jul 2022 1:31am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

How can air get trapped in the ABS block unless the system has been opened around it? - and I assure you, pressure bleeding with 'brake pedal assist' will get any air out of the system, wherever it is. ABS blocks default to open channels from the master cylinder to the outlet pipes with no control input, therefore, even on opened systems, it is a trivial matter to ensure an air-free brake hydraulic system. It's something I've been doing across a range of vehicles, JLR included, for many years.

If you think that old and new brake fluid doesn't mix as it's pushed through the pipework (and ABS block), then try this simple example, gently pour a few drops of milk into your mug of tea - and watch it disperse. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so will absorb water from the existing brake fluid as it comes into contact with it, water also affects the viscosity of the brake fluid so the new stuff being thinner will 'push' a channel through the old, leaving some in the pipes & calipers.

Normally a brake fluid refresh (often called change, wrongly) on the 2 or 3 year point (manufacturer dependent) is done with 1 litre of brake fluid, which is enough to bring the water content level down to acceptable levels. As it was clear from the colour of the brake fluid (and from a moisture content test done at the calipers, not the reservoir) that it was seriously overdue a change, I chose to push three litres through the system so that it would be predominantly fresh brake fluid coming out of the bleed nipples.

Post #635933 2nd Jul 2022 4:22pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I think I'll add it to the list of jobs for Glenrands next week. I did another gravity bleed on the rears this morning but saw no air coming out but then it wouldn't would it as it would travel back up the lines to the MC. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #635934 2nd Jul 2022 4:44pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Phoenix wrote:
How can air get trapped in the ABS block unless the system has been opened around it? - and I assure you, pressure bleeding with 'brake pedal assist' will get any air out of the system, wherever it is. ABS blocks default to open channels from the master cylinder to the outlet pipes with no control input, therefore, even on opened systems, it is a trivial matter to ensure an air-free brake hydraulic system. It's something I've been doing across a range of vehicles, JLR included, for many years.

If you think that old and new brake fluid doesn't mix as it's pushed through the pipework (and ABS block), then try this simple example, gently pour a few drops of milk into your mug of tea - and watch it disperse. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so will absorb water from the existing brake fluid as it comes into contact with it, water also affects the viscosity of the brake fluid so the new stuff being thinner will 'push' a channel through the old, leaving some in the pipes & calipers.

Normally a brake fluid refresh (often called change, wrongly) on the 2 or 3 year point (manufacturer dependent) is done with 1 litre of brake fluid, which is enough to bring the water content level down to acceptable levels. As it was clear from the colour of the brake fluid (and from a moisture content test done at the calipers, not the reservoir) that it was seriously overdue a change, I chose to push three litres through the system so that it would be predominantly fresh brake fluid coming out of the bleed nipples.

You don't half talk a load of twaddle. You really do know everything about everything. I won't be reading anymore of your Gaff.

Post #635936 2nd Jul 2022 5:05pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Oh well - perchance you do read this 'gaff', tell me what you think happens in your view of fluid dynamics?

I only comment on matters I have relevant knowledge of, not just an opinion.

Post #635938 2nd Jul 2022 5:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12