Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > SAFETY WARNING! drivetrain issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
l3224.2sc

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey
SAFETY WARNING! drivetrain issue

I hope that this can save somebody some grief and maybe give me an insight into the reason.

My 2006 4.2sc Autobiography auto transmission has been working fine. Last time out (with the caravan on the back- obviously) air suspension fault, bit bumpy as it gradually lowered onto stops. pulled over, let things cool down, re-inflate, got home.

Loads of codes, audible hissing from front off side. ordered a pair of front legs complete from Duckworth, couldn't see the point in keeping 16 year old shocks.

Car in park. level ground. Jacked front offside up with trolley jack, axle stand under front jacking point. What started out looking like a quick simple job turned into a marathon nightmare.

Here's the safety bit. Took jack out to lift front hub to new leg now mounted at top.
Bottom bolt inserted, removed jack, car rolled backwards off axle stand. I wasn't underneath thankfully. Swore, cursed got the car off the floor, finished job.

Car now won't move under it's own power. Did manage to move it a few meters in rock crawl mode. I can hear gearbox engaging drive, reverse and park. Now there is no movement, just a whirring sound. No warning lights on dash. Can only presume that the transfer box has failed mechanically without warning. This would account for the car moving in park.

Please use chocks when jacking. I will in future. Don't trust park or the electric hand brake.

Any thoughts on the failure would be appreciated. current l322 4.2sc, p38a 4.0 hse, x350 xjr, x308 xjr, x308 daimler super8, saab 93 convertible and a Transit. Most bases covered.

Post #638462 2nd Aug 2022 12:25am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I ALWAYS use chocks and/or bricks. Depending on where you are jacking from, you need to get these vehicles so high that it actually relieves 80% of the weight off of the opposing wheels and the car can pivot whilst jacking.

Chocks ensure those wheels are going nowhere.

Not much use but I remember reading something about what's happened in the workshop manual (I think) - i think it was to do with changing the rear discs and needing to leave the vehicle in Neutral, not Park but, same principles would apply. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #638463 2nd Aug 2022 12:44am
JavaBlack

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Glad you are alright.
Have you checked that the driveshaft is fully seated.

Post #638473 2nd Aug 2022 9:28am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Another vote for ds unseated from diff, ask me how I know Embarassed

Post #638475 2nd Aug 2022 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1