Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Very Strange
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DanRRL322sc

England 
Very Strange

So, I got a call from the wife today, she’s stuck in Sainsbury's car park with a dead L322. Apparently the key was stuck in the ignition and when she turned it…..nothing! I drove to her, took me about 15 - 20 minutes, got there leaned in, pull the ‘stuck’ ignition key straight out, pushed it back in, turned it, the engine spun over fast, as it normally would and started first time???

Needless to say the wife’s embarrassed!!

The car performed faultlessly the rest of the day.

It’s a 2006 (07 facelift) 4.2 Supercharged with 52k miles. Any ideas?

Post #636415 8th Jul 2022 7:19pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I am assuming that as a 2006, that your ignition key is the same as mine and sits in the centre console not on the dash -?

I has similar problems when my ignition switch started to fail, the occasional random key does not want to move( then does and starts as you said) then progressed to 'turn and nothing happens', then onto key at ignition point and just little electronic bleeps. Several attempts to start would fail but eventually it would start.
Changed the ignition switch and this cured it all. See what happens in the next few weeks, if the above does not happen leave it alone. Also check your battery voltage, just in case.

Should you end up needing to change the switch, there is an excellent thread on here with a step by step procedure with photos, I used this and it was quite easy to change.

Post #636454 9th Jul 2022 9:24am
DanRRL322sc

England 

Thanks for the reply Merchy. No, as it’s a 2006 (2007 facelift) the key is up on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

I do have an update on yesterday’s ‘very strange’ event! As I made ready to strip the cowlings off the steering column this morning to investigate, the Wife fessed-up that in the time it took me to get to her yesterday, she’d realised that she had left it in ‘R’ reverse!!! Rolling Eyes

When I got there she already knew the key would come out, go back and start the car!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #636483 9th Jul 2022 4:26pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

At least your sorted now Thumbs Up Good job your wife 'fessed up' BEFORE you started ripping the car to bits !!!!

Post #636486 9th Jul 2022 4:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1