Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Itch that just won't go away
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Itch that just won't go away

Having my 2008 overfinch for just over 18 months now and loving every minute of it, I've had this serious 5.0 SC itch that i really want to scratch. When buying my overfinch i really wanted the 5.0 SC but couldn't find the right one for me, colour, abused, high mileage, none existent history, 2566543 owners etc etc. But this itch is getting worse and now I'm seriously thinking of getting one, i really have to, no, seriously i really have to. Told the missus I'm getting one and she says in that tone of voice that only women have "you won't be able to afford the petrol". And in my response in the tone of voice that i only have was "you don't buy a 5.0 SC and worry about the fuel consumption". So, I'm thinking of selling my overfinch and getting me a big fat gas guzzling, wallet busting, being followed by a fuel tanker 5.0 SC.
So come on guys what's your thoughts and what should i look out for on these beasts? And please don't try and put me off, my mind is made up but on the plus side I'm having a quiet life because the missus isn't talking to me. Ah bliss! Who'd of thought a range rover could shut a woman up? These things never cease to amaze me.

Post #638247 30th Jul 2022 1:08pm
philip1972

France 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Do it, do it, do it, do it.

Amazing cars, only issue timing chains so either buy one done or budget for it.

You will NOT regret it. Thumbs Up

Post #638250 30th Jul 2022 1:44pm
Rackers

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Definitely do it, you already know the general stuff that goes with owing an RR.

My 5.0 has been great, if you find one that has had the chain guides done, even better! That being said, as long as it isn't clattering away you should be fine.

Post #638254 30th Jul 2022 2:53pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I'm shortly coming into a bit of money and have been thinking the same. Thinking of putting 20 grand to one side for 100 tanks of fuel. Rolling with laughter How stupid is that? I just want one to say I had one before the demise of the ICE. I say go for it. Thumbs Up

Post #638255 30th Jul 2022 2:54pm
portrobc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

Having just bought one I am probably not the right person to give you a unbiased perspective, but why let that stop me !!
Thoughts so far..........wowsers, plenty of oomph immediately on tap.........creamy power delivery right up to the higher rev ranges.
Effortless cruising but I have noticed that I am possibly driving a bit slower than before, only because it is such a nice place to watch the world go by, so why rush.
In conclusion, I can see absolutely no reason not to.
That probably helps you out.
Rob Now running a 2016 Autobiography plus an Aston Martin Virage
Previously ran a Lincoln Navigator and 18 XC60 T5
Before that a pile of Jeeps, Mercedes and Jaguars and Porsches, Mustang and Volvo.

Post #638256 30th Jul 2022 2:54pm
Barmybrummie

I knew it, i knew i have to get one. It's the power thing more than anything else. It's the roar of the petrol V8 and the exhaust note. My 3.6 has some oomph but I'm just not feeling it like i did with my saab 9-5 aero. I feel a mid life crisis is looming, I've only just turned 50 lol. I shall be seriously looking in the coming months, I'm having the roof and the upper tailgate resprayed and rust treated then i think i will put it up for sale on here first. I just don't think you can beat a petrol engine.

Post #638261 30th Jul 2022 4:40pm
portrobc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

These mid like crises can be tricky so approach with extreme caution.
Mine started at about 27 and is showing no signs of abating and I am now way past 50 !!!!

Just get out there and get it, man maths will take care of the fuel economy issue and the good news is you do not have to have it displayed on the dash screen so to my mind it means that it is therefore irrelevent. Very Happy

You will not regret it.

Rob Now running a 2016 Autobiography plus an Aston Martin Virage
Previously ran a Lincoln Navigator and 18 XC60 T5
Before that a pile of Jeeps, Mercedes and Jaguars and Porsches, Mustang and Volvo.

Post #638277 30th Jul 2022 7:11pm
Barmybrummie

Ah Rob, man maths always works out in the in the end. Well that's what i think anyway and it's done me no harm in life.
So now the missus thinks that if i buy a supercharged then I'll trade her in for a younger model, now there's a thought Laughing
I'm gonna have to test drive a few, I've not yet driven one.

Post #638279 30th Jul 2022 7:23pm
Barmybrummie

Exactly that Kevinp, need to say you've had one before these stupid electric cars start blighting our planet living life like the Jetsons lol.
Unless i win the lottery then it's straight to the dealers for a svr.

Post #638280 30th Jul 2022 7:32pm
CongoBoy

South Africa 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

BB,
I don't have a 5,0 but my 4.2 SC has given me a lust for FFRR!
Check what the guys are doing with the 4.2s here on the forum!!
So it can only be good! You've already got a gem!!
So, if the 5.0 is for you pull the trigger.

Just my thoughts Bwana! 2005 FFRR SC Java Black with Overfinch Exhaust (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue (ZA/Zimbabwe)
1995 D1 300 Tdi (Zimbabwe)

Post #638299 30th Jul 2022 10:45pm
Barmybrummie

Thanks Congoboy. I'm going to take my time and find the exact right one for me. I spent 6 months looking for the perfect overfinch before i bought mine. When i come to sell mine it won't need a penny spending on it. It's just had new brembo discs and pads all round and the beginning of September it's going in to have the upper tailgate rust sorted and the roof painted. I may even get the wheels done at the same time. Any idea what mine would be worth when it comes to sell?

Post #638315 31st Jul 2022 10:31am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Re: Itch that just won't go away

Barmybrummie wrote:
Having my 2008 overfinch for just over 18 months now and loving every minute of it, I've had this serious 5.0 SC itch that i really want to scratch. When buying my overfinch i really wanted the 5.0 SC but couldn't find the right one for me, colour, abused, high mileage, none existent history, 2566543 owners etc etc. But this itch is getting worse and now I'm seriously thinking of getting one, i really have to, no, seriously i really have to. Told the missus I'm getting one and she says in that tone of voice that only women have "you won't be able to afford the petrol". And in my response in the tone of voice that i only have was "you don't buy a 5.0 SC and worry about the fuel consumption". So, I'm thinking of selling my overfinch and getting me a big fat gas guzzling, wallet busting, being followed by a fuel tanker 5.0 SC.
So come on guys what's your thoughts and what should i look out for on these beasts? And please don't try and put me off, my mind is made up but on the plus side I'm having a quiet life because the missus isn't talking to me. Ah bliss! Who'd of thought a range rover could shut a woman up? These things never cease to amaze me.

Youre are clearly beyond saving, dont fight it any more, go for it. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #638319 31st Jul 2022 11:13am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Barmybrummie wrote:
Exactly that Kevinp, need to say you've had one before these stupid electric cars start blighting our planet living life like the Jetsons lol.
Unless i win the lottery then it's straight to the dealers for a svr.

I'd have to argue this point.

EV's are very sensible, very cheap to run, next to no pollution, fast and comfortable, whats not to like? Why 'stupid'?

You consider a Range Rover (been there, done that twice but now I've reformed) silly amounts of road tax, definitely like a drink, sound nice, have an incredible ability to bleed your wallet dry and somewhat unreliable from day 1, they do of course get lighter as they get older due to corrosion, not the best of engineering either (snapped knuckle's, turbo drain mods etc.)

You refer to EV's as stupid! BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #638321 31st Jul 2022 11:21am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I think you're missing the point there AJGalaxy. Consider it as something on your bucket list that you want. What you say is true though.

Post #638322 31st Jul 2022 11:25am
Barmybrummie

I see your point AJ but let's face it, electric is the way forward in the government's eyes the world over but the infrastructure on charging points is going to take decades to be able to accommodate EV's. Cheap and cheerful they maybe, but to say they are clean and green is totally untrue. The cost of mining the lithium is exorbitant, the production process also the same.
But here's something to remember, once the ice is banned in cars for good, then EV's will be taxed to the hilt in some form or other to recoup the loss of revenue from fuel. Free to drive in to green zone cities for EV's, i can't see that staying like that forever. So in a few years time, you'll start to see some sort of tax on them which in turn will just keep rising and rising until you are paying the same as an ice.
I have no interest in electric and never will, while i still keep driving a V8 I'm keeping the gulf stream flowing, strange but true.

But it's good to see I'm not the only one with a midlife crisis going on lol. I don't think i am, but the missus certainly thinks i am. I said I'll let you know when i leave you for a 22yo redhead haha.

Post #638328 31st Jul 2022 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>