Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 3rd Row seats.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
W111

United Kingdom 
L322 3rd Row seats.

I’ve just added a third row of seats to my L322, and wanted to share a few pics on the forum.

With visiting grand parents there was the need to travel in one vehicle.

New to the Forum so please be gentle.

The seats are from a discovery sport, which I managed to get hold of from the usual flea Bay scrappers in matching Ivory leather.

I fabricated a metal frame to mount the seats modified the lower tailgate as an upper linking point for the seatbelts and modified the headrests so the upper tailgate will close.

The whole frame bolts into the lashing point Bolt holes in the boot and can be removed when not needed without making any visible changes to the boot once taken out.

The seats fold flat so you are left with some boot space if you decide to leave them in.

I also purchased boot floor/ spare wheel cover which I cut to allow a little bit of a foot well, but not entirely convinced it makes much difference and you do get the noise from the EAS pump.

they provide enough legroom for a 10 and 11-year-old but would be pretty uncomfortable on a long journey.

Any questions about the DVLA and insurance companies, I am still working on.

Post #638430 1st Aug 2022 4:42pm
drphilgarner

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Impressive work, how hard would you rate this in terms of spanners out of 5? For reference I replaced the heater matrix in my Maserati which was a dash out job and that is my personal 5/5!

Post #665387 29th May 2023 1:58pm
W111

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Honestly, it was not a particularly complicated task, I would describe myself as a farmer type engineer.

Making the frame to mount the seats was a little tricky in terms of getting the measurements absolutely correct so that you could close the upper tailgate. I initially built a frame out of wood as a template then manufactured a metal frame from box section afterwards. Getting the position of the bolt holes took quite a few measurements.

Headrests require removing their covers, then cutting the top section about a third of the way down to create a hinge so you can close the tailgate. This involved for me destroying covers zip, so in reassembly I used a thick cord and curved leather workers sewing needle. if you don’t do this you loose valuable inches of legroom.

The seatbelts mechanism connects to the frame and the upper anchor onto lower tailgate. I removed the tailgate carpet and bolted in a metal plate on each side with a welded on nut to receive the seatbelt anchor, then refitted the carpet with a small hole drilled through so it’s all hidden when you remove the seats. With the seats in you can still open the lower tailgate as the belts extend and retract as you open and close. I purchased a set of 3 point belts online they are not the original discovery sport ones.

I would say that the whole assembly is extremely heavy and although I can move it in and out by myself, it is much easier with 2 people.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #665402 29th May 2023 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1