Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Headrest interchangeability back to front
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
2010BlackL322

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Headrest interchangeability back to front

Hello Everyone.

QQ for you. 2010 L322, does anyone know if the rear headrests are interchangeable with the fronts?

Ok, I know, some of will ask why…. My ‘10 AB Black has the aircraft style cushioned, wrap around rear headrests, they are deeper too and are closer to the head, if that makes sense. I was wondering if i could switch one of the rears to the front drivers seat.

I was planning to taking both rear headrests out and storing them anyway.

Yep, my fronts headrests are automatic, yes, they have a screen in the back, but no one sits in the rear anyway and I’ve only ever started those screens once to check they worked.

Doable? Someone will know

Thanks Check out my YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/UHBbLWZXw4A

Post #639474 13th Aug 2022 11:21am
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Afternoon 2010BlackL322,

When I had my 2012 L322 Supercharged Autobiography. I sent mine back to Special vehicles do exactly that for me (that was when you could!!), I had winged headrests fitted in front and leather covered rear parcel shelf, some pics attached to indulge you and yes makes a massive difference to comfort, I too had rear entertainment, so they mounted my screens on seat backs, wont be to everyone's taste, but worked for me a s I never sat in the back.

Just those small changes made a massive difference. To be honest I shouldn't have bothered with screens as mine were never turned on, I only ticked the box so it had every option, as I had the HD Harmon Kardon and 4 zone air and reclining rear seats just because i could. When I spoke to SV they said it was a pretty easy removal. Hppe that helps.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #639486 13th Aug 2022 3:00pm
2010BlackL322

Thank you! So I’m not crazy Whistle

I’m not sure how they managed to change yours over, as a quick measurement shows the mounting posts are wider on the rears to the fronts, and the rears also tilt, where as the fronts are static, going to do some digging and see if it’s a simple as taking the rears apart and mounting them to the front hearest brackets.

But, thank you again. Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #639566 14th Aug 2022 12:28pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 
How much did it cost to have

How much did it cost to have the front headrests converted to winged (if I'm understanding correctly)? 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 14th Aug 2022 3:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #639570 14th Aug 2022 2:06pm
2010BlackL322

Click image to enlarge

Ok, took about 20 mins to take the seat back off and figure out how they were connected.

The old ones fit in a green plastic cogs that raises and lowers them.

Old one out, soft, back winged, padded in. So, so soft and comfortable. Why on earth didn’t they fit these as standard on the front 🤷🏼‍♂️

They do raise on the button, but there is a white plastic plug / bung on the old ones that don’t fit, into the mechanism to raise them. TBH, they are not going to be going up and down anyway as it’s only me who drives it and they are set to memory 1 position.

Passenger next, when it’s cooler, should be even quicker now I know how they are fitted. Detailed pictures on that one. Check out my YouTube channel

Post #639576 14th Aug 2022 3:10pm
2010BlackL322

Re: How much did it cost to have

garyRR wrote:
How much did it cost to have the front headrests convered to winged (if I'm understanding correctly)?

They come as standard on the rear seats that recline. Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #639577 14th Aug 2022 3:11pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I put the rears in the front of my old 322 by stripping them apart and re engineering the front posts to work in the rear headrests and voila!

There is a thread running somewhere about my old grey 2001 322... Thumbs Up

Post #639579 14th Aug 2022 3:22pm
2010BlackL322

The newer models 10-12 are slightly easier, as the posts are almost the same distance apart, they need some encouragement to put the fronts in the rears. Mine had screens in the fronts, I’ve never used them, so no big deal they are back there and out of sight, the comfort of those softer wing backs are superb, on long runs, will be massive benefit to reducing fatigue when driving long hours.

They also sit nicely on the head when you are sitting in the seat, instead of having to move your head back, a proper headrest.

I have a few 1000k’s coming up soon in the next few months to test them out, worse a case, can move them back, but I think they are here to stay Check out my YouTube channel

Post #639581 14th Aug 2022 3:38pm
2010BlackL322

If you want to know how to switch over the headrests, it’s in this video. Going live at 6pm BST 17th Aug

Check out my YouTube channel

Post #639948 17th Aug 2022 4:43pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Been thinking of this for weeks. I changed my seats out, and gained rear screens, which obviously can’t work. But kept the outgoing seat rear headrests, so I can switch the posh winged ones to the front on the newer seats, , and use the old rears in the rear! Watching Mark’s vid, he says the tips can rest in the green ‘sockets’ and can be pushed down when needed…. I wonder if when I do mine, I could araldite the strut tips to the green sockets, and then with a few cable straps around the struts, then add some more glue to build up the contact area. I’d never raise them, but maybe when cleaning the seats, I might knock them, and they won’t sit right, and then tilt forward and back, if not in the ‘sockets’?
Great post!

P.s. can’t wait for the next trip videos!

P.s… I remember being told they are not called heat rests, they are head restraints, and shouldn’t be comfortable, as could lead to dozing, and also they must be adjusted to be level with height of your ears, to the top of restraint. For when you get rear ended on a fast road. -people put them down, for reversing etc. as per driving instructor no less.

Post #639993 17th Aug 2022 9:09pm
2010BlackL322

I have since pulled apart the drivers seat back, araldited the bottom of the headrest into the green motor feet / caps, the drivers headrest goes up and down on the button just fine, no issues.

So yes, you can glue them in 👍🏻 Check out my YouTube channel

Post #640002 17th Aug 2022 10:05pm
2010BlackL322

P.s… I remember being told they are not called heat rests, they are head restraints, and shouldn’t be comfortable, as could lead to dozing, and also they must be adjusted to be level with height of your ears, to the top of restraint. For when you get rear ended on a fast road. -people put them down, for reversing etc. as per driving instructor no less.[/quote]

I think you are right, restraints, not rests, I’ll try not to nod off. Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Last edited by 2010BlackL322 on 18th Aug 2022 8:03am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #640004 17th Aug 2022 10:06pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Shocked Shocked Nob off! Shocked Shocked

Now that brings a whole new meaning to having a snooze Laughing Rolling with laughter Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #640020 18th Aug 2022 12:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1