Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > air suspension inactive HDC inact DSC abs brake (the fix)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green
air suspension inactive HDC inact DSC abs brake (the fix)

If you search the topic here/google/whathaveyou you will find my posts... Since I bought my range it has done this.. 5 min into a drive I'll get all the lights and errors up.

Air suspension inactive/ HDC inactive/ DSC BRAKE ABS all illuminated.

Once you restart the car, codes reset and you're good to drive for another 5 minutes

I've had it at the dealer/indy shops, nobody can put their finger on the exact cause... Even after spending an hour on diagnostics...

After literally years of replacing bits here and there, researching how things communicate, I found MY fix...

No stored codes, but when the errors come up, test book throws codes for a wheel sensor, steering angle, yaw, few other things including ABS canbus

Everything functions fine for 5 minutes, but then the failure... After pulling sensors, cleaning them, shotgunning replacements I finally decided to pull my ABS module and take a look at the internals

Click image to enlarge

Here you see the module itself
Click image to enlarge

Next I took a dremel and cut the cap off the module, they epoxy it closed from the factory, so I had to cut it off.
Click image to enlarge

I repaired two separated silver wires last week, but the problem was still happening, just taking much much longer to trigger.

If you look very closely, there are gold wires in there that are basically thinner than human hair, I looked closely at all of them

Click image to enlarge

The whole board is covered in a silicone like substance to keep everything protected from moisture and shorts, I noticed there was an area towards the top of the unit where it looks like they missed the protective goo... Several of the tiny tiny gold wires were laid over nearly touching... So I went in there with a needle and moved them back upright. I'd imagine when the engine gets up to temp the gold becomes pliable enough to lean over just a bit more and cause a short.

Anyway I put it all back together, threw it on the car... Beat the hell out of it for an hour in 100 degree heat and it's fully repaired. I just have to pull it one last time to silicone those gold wires in place and re-epoxy the modules cap.

So for the first time since I've owned the car, I can fully experience highway mode, and suspension changes on the fly... Plus it's nice to have abs dsc etc functioning all the time... As opposed to having to power down to re-engage them.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #23011 23rd Jul 2010 12:35am
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Great post! Thumbs Up

Post #23055 23rd Jul 2010 9:01pm
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

elpeede wrote:
Great post! Thumbs Up

Thanks, figured I'd throw it up... Maybe someone will get some use out of it someday.

Post #23071 24th Jul 2010 2:31am
JOKER

Scotland 

Great posting ... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up noted for future reference ........

Post #23073 24th Jul 2010 2:55am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the forum really should have a separate 'how to' section for all these great ,erm, how to's.... mod's?..

Post #23082 24th Jul 2010 11:57am
ottoknows

Hong Kong 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Thank you for the tutorial, and accompany photos and explanation in detail.

I have had this combination of HDC, DSC, Trans Failsafe Prog and Air suspension inactive error, right after a short road trip of 2 hours & it was the end of trip car wash that painted my instrument panel an early Christmas lightshow 2023 Sad(

How is your ABS module doing these days? Still running tip-top since your last modification?

Post #677609 9th Nov 2023 3:39pm
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

very interesting
i have had that problem for a long time and got rid of it all to gether for quite a while but now its starting to come back again.
here is a post i posted three months ago, i live in australia so the weather is different.

OK you wont believe this
or am i the last one to know
The guy who lives across the road from me was over a few weeks ago. (he is a good mechanic)
He asked how the rover was going, I told him I was sick ok the three warning lights coming on. He said, have you cleaned the wheels lately
He said if he doesn’t clean the wheels on his holden he has all sorts of electrical faults, he has to clean them about every six month.
Come over he said
He got his pressure cleaner and squirted it through the wheels, cleaning the breaks etc.
A lot of dirt/dust washed out
The next three times I used the car, I had no warning lights, that never happened recently.
The lights still do come on, but after 40/50 km
A vast improvement RR 2005 4.4 petrol
Any spelling mistakes are the fault of spellchecker
Previous MG J2, CITROEN light 15 x 2 gone unfortunately
Present MERC 180e, RANGE ROVER L322, JAGUAR XJS, MERC 280SE, MG F, JAGUAR S-Type 6v 2003, jaguar s-type 8v 2004, Ford Cougar

Post #677640 10th Nov 2023 3:21am
ottoknows

Hong Kong 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Strange situation it seems but all these errors appearing seems to be linked to one single factor: Car Wash.

I can't help but link the ABS module malfunctioning due to moisture.

As my 2005 Rangie sat in the garage for the past 14 hours, and this morning when I started the engine, all errors have disappeared altogether.

I am contemplating on hunting down a used ABS module on eBay as a backup unit.

It could be the extreme daytime temperatures that I am currently facing at 40 degrees Celcius - ambient, and up to 65 degrees C internal cabin temp under the hot sun.

For now, it seems like this problem has gone away temporarily.

Post #677641 10th Nov 2023 5:37am
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

hi, is it still good RR 2005 4.4 petrol
Any spelling mistakes are the fault of spellchecker
Previous MG J2, CITROEN light 15 x 2 gone unfortunately
Present MERC 180e, RANGE ROVER L322, JAGUAR XJS, MERC 280SE, MG F, JAGUAR S-Type 6v 2003, jaguar s-type 8v 2004, Ford Cougar

Post #680056 11th Dec 2023 2:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1